The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fitting 1.2 bar retrictor ring

barneybrendan

If you have installed a FCD then all I would expect to happen is your boost would increase to 1.2bar, I wouldn't think it would give you any problems mate unless I'm missing somthing here?

I BPU'ed supraN/A's supra on this forum (funny user name I know considering he now has a TT lol)

And we fitted double decats, fmic , 1.2bar rr and FCD and his is and has been running perfect with no problems :)

As above, a 1.2 ring wont cause any problems as long as you have an FCD. Keep an eye on your boost levels though. You might go over 1.2 or you might not make 1.1. every car reacts a little differently to a restrictor ring so to hit 1.2 exactly can be a little trial and error with the hole size.

I think my dads has a Whifbitz 1.0bar RR and we run 1.2 bar no problem :)

Interesting. You sure its not a 1.2bar RR? The clue is in the name ;) Shouldnt be boosting over 1 bar with a 1 bar RR mate, unless you have a boost controller fitted to control it.

@ Barney

Shouldnt cause any problems mate.

Edited by listy (see edit history)

I don't think it will cause any issues at all, in fact it could probably not only help raise your boost but also give you a warm glowing feeling when you send the 1 bar one to me to save me a couple of days in a cold draughty workshop this weekend making myself one :innocent:

Interesting. You sure its not a 1.2bar RR? The clue is in the name ;) Shouldnt be boosting over 1 bar with a 1 bar RR mate, unless you have a boost controller fitted to control it.

@ Barney

Shouldnt cause any problems mate.

Well it must be a 1.2bar then, But i only saw a 1.0rr on whifbitz website.

Could have been filed out to anything. also all cars are different, some produce boost better than others, so there is no such thing as a true 1bar or 1.2bar they are just averages that you should expect. The condition of the engine, turbos and also what decats and catback are fitted all play a part.

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

before bpu i was getting 1 bar with the cats.now with cats off 1 bar rr colder plugs,walbro pump and boost controler im getting 1.1 bar.Just wondering if a 1.2 bar ring would help raise the boost

If it's making 1.1bar at this time of the year, come the colder weather this could rise to 1.2bar. I'd leave the restrictor ring alone and just use a manual/electronic boost controller to raise the boost pressure to 1.2bar.

I don't think so, keep an eye on your egts if you can. I'm going for a 1 barr rr then upping it with a boost controller as that seems the safe way to go. With a 1.2bar rr the boost controller will be doing pretty much nothing and you risk going a fair bit higher in the cold weather as others have said.

Bit of confusion here.i was making 1 bar with out controler.i now have the boost controler fitted and making 1.2 bar.blitz controler on 58 so going to up it a bit.was just wondering if i fitted the larger rr would that be better than turning controler up

A restrictor ring is a gasket shaped plate with a hole in it, if you filed the hole bigger you could increase the boost to 1.2bar (with the boost controller turned off) BUT if you do this come the colder weather - when the air is denser - the boost will rise above 1.2bar and you'd have no way to reduce the pressure - a boost controller can only raise the boost pressure, it cannot lower the pressure. You have an ideal setup at the moment I would leave well alone.

A restrictor ring is a gasket shaped plate with a hole in it, if you filed the hole bigger you could increase the boost to 1.2bar (with the boost controller turned off) BUT if you do this come the colder weather - when the air is denser - the boost will rise above 1.2bar and you'd have no way to reduce the pressure - a boost controller can only raise the boost pressure, it cannot lower the pressure. You have an ideal setup at the moment I would leave well alone.

This.

A good Boost Controller like the AVCR will run closed loop boost and maintain target boost (i.e. 1.2bar in this case).

Just reading the posts, there is some confusion regarding the rr!

Nic is bang on with his info, however if u have a boost controller and try and set it to higher than 1.1 bar and it doesn't increase, this is simply due to your current rr doing its job, basicslly working.

If u loose the rr completly u still have complete control of your boost but with out limitations, and u could boost to what u wanted then, obviously something would go pop over 1.2 bar with your current set up!!

So I would just leave your set up alone for the sake of 0.1 bar, as it's all running within a safe level!

Or change the rr for the bigger one but be carefull as other people have said in regards To it increasing over the 1.2 level on cold days etc, just make sure the boost controllers set to no higher than 1.2 and u should be fine fella.