The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Max boost for OEM bypass valve (bov)

bodilx6

Ok. I just replaced my force BOV with the OEM, and i don't notice anything. Only seem to have noticed a max boost of 1 bar and I have seen 1,1 and even 1,25 on cold days before. But havnet checked thoroughly yet. (har to get to the speed needed for max boost in mainly city driving)

My stock BOV was open all the time. I decided to take it apart to see how it had failed.

As you can see the washer that seals against the seat has broken into many bits. Luckily it was all there and not sucked into the intercooler/engine.

I assume that at one time it was rubber but it was completely brittle like plastic. My car is pretty low mileage on a 1996. I bet theres many other cars with the same problem that the owners don't know about.

Here you can see the insides:

Here is the offending washer. I think it was originally bonded to the metal on the diaphragm:

And finally here is a photo of what i've done to bypass it. Ive put silicone end caps on the two larger pipes and a bolt in the smaller vaccum pipe:

Edited by Iky (see edit history)

I think they work pretty good, but when going BPU the system needs to depressurize from higher boost to atmosphere or recirculate, the stock bov doesn't flow good enough to depressurize the system, so would be better to go with an bov which can flow more air than the oem one does, or the twin bov mod.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/twin_stock_bov/index.html

Thanks, but I have had a BOV and I got tired of the attention grabbing sounds. Regarding the flow, that might be right, but as I have no sound of compressor stall, then I'm guessing all is well.

The other solution just removing it all together is all good, but not for avoiding turbo sounds.

The disintegration of the BOV is more worring :-/ Maybe I should take it apart and check the state of things...

Iky, it looks like you had to use a bit of violence to take it apart? Would it be able to fit back together? Is it pressed together rather than screwed together?

Iky, it looks like you had to use a bit of violence to take it apart? Would it be able to fit back together? Is it pressed together rather than screwed together?

Just carefully prise the folded metal over with a flat bladed screwdriver. Its pressed together. I'm not gonna attempt to put it back together because I doubt it will be as reliably sealed as it was.

Not worth the bother, I'll just keep a look out for another similar one. It's made by Denso so there should be plenty more stock looking ones on other newer makes of cars. One off an Mitsubishi Evo looks similar. I like the discreet look :)