The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hub dyno and rolling road dyno differences, The truth.

JamieP

Ibrar did 685bhp at the flywheel on SRR's dyno dynamics rolling road a couple of weeks back.

Today he went on Dan's dynapack hub dyno and made 675 at the hubs with no change to the map or boost.

And I still stand by what I've said in other threads, hub Bhp is about the same as flywheel, don't go adding anything to it.

Edit with more info.

Jurgens GTR below.

844 Bhp 1.5 bar at the flywheel at SRR

730 Bhp 1.5 bar at the hubs on dynapack.

Mark newman.

736 bhp 1.7 bar at flywheel SRR

744 bhp at the hubs on dynapack.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been saying dans dyno reads higher than others though....

Something is definitely up somewhere when hub HP is calculated as fwhp, physically it's never going to be the same measurement.

Dans reads no different than TDI's hub dyno as seen on Rickys car.

Say what you like but there is no changing the facts, and the facts are in the first post.

Thats gonna knock quite a few bhp off the single turbos on here for all those that have added on losses lol

my bpu made 427 at srr at the fly so if it was to make around the same on a hub dyno maybe I should just add 15% onto it and have the fastest bpu supra in the world:D

Dans reads no different than TDI's hub dyno as seen on Rickys car.

Say what you like but there is no changing the facts, and the facts are in the first post.

It's all in the old thread, there's enough examples to prove either argument. I had my brothers GTR run a hub dyno then a dd a week later and there was 17% difference. Theres examples for whichever argument you want to push.

It won't affect my sleep at night whatever anyone believes.

From an objective point of view though it would be good if someone could actually explain how a hub measurement is equal to a calculated flywheel measurement.

It's all in the old thread, there's enough examples to prove either argument. I had my brothers GTR run a hub dyno then a dd a week later and there was 17% difference. Theres examples for whichever argument you want to push.

It won't affect my sleep at night whatever anyone believes.

From an objective point of view though it would be good if someone could actually explain how a hub measurement is equal to a calculated flywheel measurement.

Would be good if an actual dyno operator was to log on and post the answer to this.

Didn't Charlie have a login at one point (From SRR).

I notice you took all the bhp numbers out of your sig ;) :D

LOL

:D

Too many issues around dyno figures nowadays, and my hub figures at AME seem high for the boost.

If someone asks me how much power the car has, I normally say around 500hp. It makes life easier that way!

One definite advantage is that the hub dyno's are awesome to tune on, and don't ruin your tyres!!

mumbers. numbers. numbers.

The only real way to determine numbers is on a true engine dyno. Chassis/Hub dynos all have a certain fudge factor.

Personally, I don't care about numbers - I just want mine to make me smile when I boot it.

+1

Yet i see you both quoting dyno numbers plenty of times, fact is a dyno is the only way we can tell what difference the modifications we have done to our cars have made, the point of this thread is to make people aware that adding a big % to hub figures to get an estimated flywheel figure is wrong.

Some people can handle the truth, others cant :D

Personally, I don't care about numbers - I just want mine to make me smile when I boot it.

+1

Completely agreed with this. Never dyno'd mine and dont plan to. I know at BPU its "around" 380-400bhp, and thats good enough for me if anyone asks.

What about when you add % when it is an auto is that still the case, Jamie .

I would not add any % to any dyno numbers no matter what the dyno, just quote the figure the operator has given you and state if it was HUB, FLYWHEEL or WHEEL bhp, that way there is no confusion.

interesting topic jamie.

i have read that dynapack themselves say to add 25hp to there figures for hub to flywheel.

rototest have done there own testing to see what drivetrain losses are in there white papers, and there losses are all very small below 9% some as low as 1%.

but i agree adding 15% to hub is unrealistic, it needs a same day, same car, same correction sae or din or even no correction at all, on a dd and then tdi or dynapack for a controlled accurate comparison.

i have used my gtech aswell which is repeatable if set up properly and i have dd skyline runs for comparison, and that suggests i would make about 685 whp on a dd roller, but its made from 757 upto 788 on tdis hub dyno.

The topic was on here a few times and as i said back then i can't see how you can add up % on your figures... why would a stock Car loose less power than a bpu car if the only change was boost? Same goes for single Turbos. Why would a car whose only change was from a GT35 to a gt40 loose more power with the same drivetrain?

The loss is in the Drivetrain with given components and weight it will loose a given number of torque and HP. If it stays the same over the improvement of power it will still have the same loss as the weight etc stays the same(of course if something like wheels etc is changed also the loss changes)

Just my 2 pence ;)

I would not add any % to any dyno numbers no matter what the dyno, just quote the figure the operator has given you and state if it was HUB, FLYWHEEL or WHEEL bhp, that way there is no confusion.

the problem with that jamie is that the dyno operator can add what he likes.

i have seen a rwd cossie graph on a dynapack and it stated flywheel power with an 18% loss calculated lol

i think aswell that a proper engine dyno will actually show more flywheel hp than a dyno dynamics does tbh.

Yet i see you both quoting dyno numbers plenty of times, fact is a dyno is the only way we can tell what difference the modifications we have done to our cars have made, the point of this thread is to make people aware that adding a big % to hub figures to get an estimated flywheel figure is wrong.

Some people can handle the truth, others cant :D

I admit, I added 15% to mine, as that's what I remember Lee saying he uses as his factor from fly to bhp.

Ultimately, I've got a couple of quick cars and a very fast one on the way :D