The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FCS Show......

Suprash

This weekend just gone I was at the FCS car show doing drift taxi for the public. Was a bloody good day although it was shall we say a problematic day :D

So to start the day when I got noise tested the car immediately started, how can I put it, 'dicking' around. It was idling slugish, in fact barely idling at all, and pretty hard to drive, a bit like when you have popped a IC pipe or are missing some vacum lines. Checked over everything and couldnt find anything so I switched the car off and back on again :D and the problem disappeared ? A little frustrating because Im a little concerned what ever it was it will re-appear when I dont want it to and more then likely during competition :(

Then I had a few issues with my battery terminals suddenly not wanting to stay attached to my battery, that was nice and simple and just my battery wasnt clamped in properly so that moving battery was tugging the terminals off, sorted and then back out.

So I was continuing taking passengers out, which is a blast when its peoples first time, seeing them grab for things when you belt into the first corner on the handbrake or clutch kick the shit out of it whilst excelerating off the line and people always seem to love it.

But then as I came off I noticed thick black smoke billowing up my windscreen :faint: the worst site in the world that is. So I jumped out and shouted to the Donny marshalls for a fire exstinguisher, they flapped about a bit before finally get one to my car ready for when I opened the bonnet and when I lifted it, there was flames, so in went the fire exstinguisher :( Amazing how I was shouting at him not to go fucking crazy with that stuff and small short bursts :taped: I spent ages the day before cleeaning my engine bay after round 2 :D

So the fire was out and it was obvious what happened. My oil return pipe had caught alight.

Thing Im wondering is, especially from the other NA-T'ers out there is how your oil return is routed because of the position of the return from the turbo and the point it goes back into the sump, my manifold is slap bang in the way in between them, so the pipe has to lay against the manifold. Obviously this pipe had heat shield around it but I guess after 2 years of constant heat and abuse, it all just broke down and couldnt take the heat no more. The pipe was like papermachae (sp ?)

So back at pits I stripped down the IC pipe, sourced a bit of replacement pipe, fitted, run up and all appeared to be good, so back I went. I kept checking it after each passenger run and it was all holding nicely :D

So after a wheel change onto my old nasty Khans, I grabbed another passenger and whilst drifting around the top corner 'bang' and the rear left side of the car drops :blink: I looked at my passenger and said "we just lost a wheel" :bye:, he thought I was messing about at first :D

Thankfully though my kit was ok, so being only held on by the usual minimal cable ties, I undressed her to save the kit whilst she got recovered back to the pits......

All of the studs on the spacer had snapped, well I say all, I have been running 4 studs on that side for 2 years now and we suspected it was just stress on the remaining 4 that over time just eventually let go, but after removing the spacer and refitting the wheel and when I double checked the other side I realised this was just a 'Willis f8ck up' :D.

My windy gun was starting to run flat and whilst doing them it knocked at each point I thought the nut was done up, but it wasnt, it was knocking because the gun didnt have the power to turn the nut no more. I checked the other side and had about 1 to 2 turns on each nut before they were nice and tight so that side wasnt too far from letting go either - Oooooopppppsss :taped: :D

Still no real damage there, thankfully and learnt a little lesson there, never trust your gun.

Can I replace the studs in my spacer or do I have to buy another 1/pair ?

And does anyone know of any good oil return pipes/setups to get round my manifold ?

Hi ash,

I had the same problem with the return resting on the 1st port of the manifold.

I'm now using a 45degree fitting into the return hole in the turbo it's self so it points away from the 1st mani tube. then a 45degree -an 10 fitting spun to the front of the car so it clears nicely and some an-10 braided line with the same fittings in the sump.

Sorry if that's hard to understand but it's hard to explain lol

If you want I can pm my number over and if you want I can try and explain better over the phone, I also might have some pics somwhere if you wanted me to try and dig them out for you?

:)

I'll send you the links to the exact parts when I get home chap! Just I'm in the middle of tinting as customers car as we speek :D

Also next time you are at the Sunderland nissan Washington doing your stuff you have to take me out on the track lol :D

Ps: I will bring my cycle helmet and shin pads just incase the worst happends lol

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)