The mkiv Supra Owners Club

XS T61 Turbo (67/69mm)

Noz

Various people have stated they have had decent results from the XS T61 considering it's size, since buying mine I was aware the inducer wheel is actually larger.

Xs now sell items stating the turbo is a T67. I think its safe to say that XS do not sell a T61 turbo even if stated, and you will be buying a slightly larger turbo which is why their T61 and gt45 are only around 100whp difference claimed on their adverts.

Thought I'd just make a point to let people know this isn't a 61mm turbo. The small exhaust housing that usually comes with the turbo .68ar (IIRC) is probably the only reason it spools ok.

This is just a thread to inform new NA-T owners so they are aware before they order their turbo and wonder what the hell is going on (if they are sad enough to measure components like I did).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supra-SC300-GS300-IS300-Soarer-Turbo-Kit-2JZ-GE-or-GTE-/120814195426?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c211652e2

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

? I did measure it. I measured it when it arrived. I asked them and they explained it was the normal size for the T61 to have a 67-69mm inducer wheel. Typically sources on clubna-t and advertisements for the T61 turbo say the inducer wheel should be smaller. I was purely making people aware.

I did measure it. I did find out. They are now selling the turbo's as T67's, all source point towards a first NA-T set up using T61, if people think they are different they will have issues finding a T61 when they only sell T67 even though they will be the same turbo. Then all NA owners will find is T67 turbo's, then the forum will have a flood of newbie threads asking is the T67 too big for a first NA-T install. Thought I'd make NA owners aware that was all. I didn't think my first post was that confusion to be honest.

Well I'm confused. The numbers firms use to differentiate their turbochargers rarely have much to do with real-world size... a T35R isn't 35mm :)

Ignore every other turbo. The T61 usually has a specification of 61mm inducer wheel. Google it if you don't beleive me. The XS turbo doesnt have a 61mm inducer wheel, it has a 67-69mm inducer wheel. Im fully aware the gt35r that is compared to the T61 doesnt have a 35mm inducer wheel, but SOME turbo's do consider this, and the T61 is one of them.

Therefore, getting back to my original point, the 61mm turbo's XS are selling are not 61mm.

i dont understand that bit, how do you know what size a gtx 35 r and t35r ,45 and all that, or do you have to go look it up?

You would look at the turbo's specification. For example, not all 318i BMW's are 1.8 litre, though some of them are.

When I bought mine, it's specification was 61mm, so yes they were calling it a T61 with a 61mm though it has a 67mm, only today have they started to change the sales. Just thought I'd tell people it's the same turbo they always sold anyway.