The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ebay Alloy Radiators

ripped_fear

Ok so following on from my over heating thread, I am going to now try a new Rad out.

Now on the off chance it works, I may as well take the oporunity to add some more shiney bits :p

So this has led me to this Radiator- CLICK

It looks identical to some of the ones being sold buy a couple of the traders, yet nearly £100 cheaper.

Has anyone used one? If so can they comment on the fitments, quality etc, as I want it to be as good, if not better than stock and it must be able to fit the OEM shroud, and air ducting to it.

Any in put appreciated :)

Edited by ripped_fear
Better thread title (see edit history)

?Not sure you could get any aftermarket that was as efficient as stock. but I would go for it as its shiny :)

Oh and if you're auto you would need another cooler?

No im 5 speed so all good there, when you say not as efficent are we talking it can cause overheating, if so that kind of defeats the purpose? :p

lol, I was just spouting what everyone else on here says :p Toyota designed the perfect vehicle 20 years ago. I'm not sure why they ever decided to build other cars. :)

Yeah I know the car works great as standard, but everything can be improved after all there is two different types of oem rad, mine is the thinner one two as I'm pre facelift na. The only thing I don't get is if they are not as good as standard why do all the big power supra's run alloy rads?

I wondered if yours was one of those, didnt you have fitting problems though?

To fit it into the stock rubber mountings, it needed two sets of hands and a good pry and force. Also, the top air feed for the stock air box didn't fit, as it's rounded underneath to fit on a stock radiator. It needed a bracket made so it sits about 2cm forward of the stock bolt hole and still needs a good bit of pressure to push and hold when bolting down.

All in all, pretty good :D

To fit it into the stock rubber mountings, it needed two sets of hands and a good pry and force. Also, the top air feed for the stock air box didn't fit, as it's rounded underneath to fit on a stock radiator. It needed a bracket made so it sits about 2cm forward of the stock bolt hole and still needs a good bit of pressure to push and hold when bolting down.

All in all, pretty good :D

Thats not exactly what I would call good fitting lol :D

They are pretty big, but well made, Fluidyne copies iirc. Had one myself in the past and theyre not bad. Yep your engine can run too cool, thats why designers go to great lengths to design cooling systems ;)

Hence why I don't design cars lol as long as it looks pretty I'm happy :p I will ring around regarding a stock one first.

I may just do this as Toyota's price was a little high for my liking if CW cant help maybe I will ring steve manley again.

I got mine from Chris - superb as always - just be aware that there are about 4 different types of 'stock' rad - Chris has diagrams you can match up to the correct one you need.

Run one on mine perfect fitment im not sure what brand it is though also run twin electric fans had no over heating issues and im bpu. But of course you must go and spend all your cash on oem toyota products;)

cheers bud :thumbs: I do love OEM stuff, mainly as my car has load of history and always oem parts used so i have always kept it as such.

How about a good second hand stock one?

Dont really want secondhand in case it does the same thing all over again.

I got mine from Chris - superb as always - just be aware that there are about 4 different types of 'stock' rad - Chris has diagrams you can match up to the correct one you need.

4 types! Woah only new about two lol. Will sort somthing out tomorrow as im sure no one will be happy getting phone calls this time of night :p

Yep your engine can run too cool, thats why designers go to great lengths to design cooling systems ;)

I guess you could fit some kind of valve that opens and closes to keep the engine at a perfect temperature and moderate the flow through the radiator, If I designed such a thing I would call it a thermostat.

*off to dragons den*

I guess you could fit some kind of valve that opens and closes to keep the engine at a perfect temperature and moderate the flow through the radiator, If I designed such a thing I would call it a thermostat.

*off to dragons den*

:D now now dont turn my thread into one of those :p

I don't think you do but if you take yours on trackdays it will be worth fitting an auto rad So you can link up your power steering also as everytime I do a trackday mine over heats the steering fluid which ends up all over the engine bay!

Thanks for the info, but my car never goes on a track. She is too pampered. :p