The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS exhaust gone quiet.... ??

linconhawk

Hey all,

I have a HKS Superdrager... Has always sounded great and IMO fairly loud....

I have noticed the last few days, its gone quiet.... it still gives a nice hum... but its definately lost its "grunt"...

Any ideas why.... ?

I know its all ok, as it was in the garage a month or so ago and all the exhaust was checked...

TIA

Is there any other symptoms that might be associated with this, that i could check.... ?

I think the exhaust was bought in 2006, by previous owner... Is that classed as old ??? Still looks brand new though...

Any other thoughts ?

Has your boost dropped off? If you've got a boost gauge fitted that is.

The mild steel perforated tube that holds the fibreglass sound absorbent material in may have rusted out and the material could be bunging up the silencer, making it quieter, but restricting flow. If you look up the tailpipe or push a broom handle up it you may be able to feel or see the blockage and shift it, but then it will be noisy as hell. Common problem, that exhaust was all fur coat and no knickers, like a lot of HKS stuff.

Hey people.... Quick update for you all....

Ok, still sounds on the quiet side....

I have stuck a broom up the end of the exhaust, but couldnt feel / see anything and the broom came out clean !!....

I have taken 2 pics of the underside of the car, to try and show exhaust (sorry for crap pics), Tried to show what I think is the cat and also tried showing rest of exhaust.

Apart from the back box, rest of exhaust looks pretty old to me.... I think there is a cat still in place, maybe people could confirm for me....

So, does this shed any light on the situation if I have a cat.... ??

Thanks all...

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg