PDA

View Full Version : TubbyTwo's Supra tidy up!

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 14:50
Hi all,

though it about time that I actually got some pictures up of my Supra. Been on here for a while reading etc and finally for the car a few months back from Hoff.

Here is the original advert for the car:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?266631-With-regret-1994-Black-Auto-Full-NA-TT-BPU-%A35000

Originally I wanted a manual (as everyone buying a supra usually does) however due to various complications with work being uncertain, expecting our first child and getting married, my nice budget for a TT6 took a serious pasting.

After a few emails and calls to Adam (Hoff) I arranged to go and see the car, had a good look round and a drive and we agreed a price. The drive home was great, the auto took a while to get used to but now I actually really like it! (coming from a guy who swore he would never ever own a fast car with an auto box:D).

The car is a NA-TT, and needed a little bit of cosmetic work to bring it back to standard, but it suited my needs perfectly. (we will get to that later)

Im slowly getting some pictures, and if it ever stops raining it will get a seriously good clean inside and out.

so this is the car as it currently stands:

First job to sort out was the speedo, it would work sometimes but not others. So after reading through some threads on here I made a start and stripped down the dashboard and found a speedo converter connected to the dash cluster but nothing else:

This was removed and the back of the cluster put back to stock (minus some LEDs)

Stay tuned for part 2.

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 15:09
Whilst the Dash cluster was out of the car I decded to remove the silver dial faces and I much prefer the stock black ones which thankfully were still in place:

always make sure if your removing the needles you take note of the position of the fuel and temp needle positions, so when you come to refit you get it the same, so you get a correct reading!

Once the needles were gently pulled off, the silver dials were removed and put back to stock:

much better :)

Whilst I had the speedo appart all the dry joints on the heater controls, dash cluster, auto gear indicator leds and the oil level, oil pressure and engine man lights where all redone. These were then tested and were now working fine.

All the surfaces were wiped down with IPA and dusted before being refitted, as there is nothing worse than putting the dash cluster back together and getting dirt and dust on the speedo face.

Now I mentioned that there were a few cosmetic problems that needed sorting out, tbh the paintwork was looking rather tired and that will recieve a serious machine polishing session when time and weather permits. But for for now it get washed twice a week with with Valet pro shampoo and some autobrite snowfoam thrown in for good measure.

and finally Wolfs Chemicals Deironizer on the wheels, personally I find it fantastic stuff, PW the wheels, spray the product on and leave for 10-15 mins, agitate and PW off to leave clean and degreased alloy wheel. The purple you can see is and iron particles from the brakes being disolved which is another added bonus.

More to follow :)

nige-rz
12-06-12, 15:16
Great work mate. Nice looking car aswell. The stock dials are a great improvement over the ones that were on it. :thumbs:

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 15:20
Cheers, Im just uploading some more pictures to my photobucket :)

FOSTA
12-06-12, 15:35
Looks nice mate, good work :)

Supra Gaz
12-06-12, 15:52
Looking good dude, black Supra's rule.

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 15:57
Ok so, aside from needing a good clean, the main problems are just with the bodywork.

The car has VS sideskirts which have been blended in front and rear, as always happens the filler cracks along the panel joins, sadly on mine this has happened on both sides, also the paint has been stone blasted off by the front wheels :D

The passenger side however is worse as the skirt has a vertical crack and has cracked where its blended to the front wing:

Im not fussed about repairing the skirts as I dont really like them anyway, so both front wings will be removed, along with the skirts and Im going to see if a body shop can cut and blend the rear cracking out back to the factory panel lines on both sides.

Im planning to keep stock front wings and would like to replace the VS skirts probably with some Toyota ones in the next few months.

Next on the list is to remove my nice seats and replace with some stock ones as sadly with the wife being pregnant, she cant get in, nor can we fit a child seat. However currently undecided on Stock cloths or leathers for the front, current seats will be removed, repaired and sold, complete with custom rails.

Current job list:

Interior:

- Replace seatbelts as they dont retract.
- replace seats with stock.
- replace gearstick with an oem one.
- dye carpet black.
- [-]remove turbo timer[/-]
- [-]remove 2 gauge piller pod[/-]
- [-]relocate oil pressure gauge to dash (probably where the clock currently is).[/-]
- replace headunit and speakers
- remove any excess wiring - ongoing
- replace or wrap dash panels
- replace dash LEDs for speedo cluster, heater panel and clocks.
- replace spare wheel
- source OEM toolkit for boot.

Exterior:

- Replace VS sideskirts and sort filler cracking issues.
- replace front drivers wheel arch liner, and undertrays.
- replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure - Clips ordered - ongoing
- remove front bumper and adjust IC position.
- adjust angle of rear diffuser.
- machine polish the headlights
- get car detailed.

Engine:

- [-]change sparkplugs[/-]
- replace 2 cam cover breather hoses.
- [-]replace coilpack clips[/-]
- replace O2 sensor
- replace ECU coolant temp sensor
- replace horn with something more manly.....
- Steamclean, dress and polish engine bay.

So not much!

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 16:15
Looking good dude, black Supra's rule.

Cheers guys, mechanically its sound, and the bodywork is whats to be expected for a sub 5k TT auto, but I was after something to keep me entertained and this fitted the bill perfectly.

Im not really fussed about dull or scratched paintwork, this can all easily be machined out in the the summer months so bring the car back to its former glossy self! :)

linconhawk
12-06-12, 17:26
Hey.... Looking great !!!!!

Recognise where you are..... Im just round the corner from you, Kesgrave.....

Often see you about... Hey, If I was to remove my speedo cluster and remove my needles, would you maybe be willing to give me a hand.... so scared of loosing the needle positions, lol..

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 17:55
sure thing buddy. will have to keep my eyes out for you!

are you changing dials?

Hammer
12-06-12, 18:37
Good work mate. It's a good feeling as you do the work and see the gradual improvments. Well done looking nice.

linconhawk
12-06-12, 18:39
I want to change my dials soon.

They are the stock ones..... Which I like, but the "K" has a sticker over, so it just shows "m/h", but is noticeable, and bugs me....

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 20:07
yeah no problem chap drop me a pm!

listy
12-06-12, 21:49
Looking good mate :D

Are those Cobra reclining? How much would you want for them once removed? Feel free to drop me a pm :)

TubbyTwo
12-06-12, 22:02
indeed they are recliners complete with custom seat rails.

need to find out the going rate :)

TubbyTwo
14-06-12, 10:34
Mini Update:

Currently in the process of changing a few bits, Spark plugs were first on the list. After hoovering out all the dirt from the plug wells (with old plugs still in place) using the wifes Dyson it was time to whip the plugs out, none of which were done up very tight at all. Car had Denso Iridium IK22's fitted but they had seen better days:

These were replaced with some NGK BKR7e plugs. Three of my coilpack clips decided to self destruct, so new ones were sourced from Keron at Extreme performance, top guy, and fast service.

Noticed 2 of the stock coilpacks are starting to crack near the screw holes, so these eventually will be replaced with a nice set of superspark ones. :) Next on the list is to source and replace the cam cover breather hoses as both are hard and seen better days.

A new O2 sensor and ECU coolant temp sensor will also be ordered in the next few days.

mplavery
14-06-12, 12:06
Nice Supra you have there mate

When was all the blending done on the car out of curiosity ?

TubbyTwo
14-06-12, 12:49
Cheers mate, TBH I dont actually know, looking back through the previous owners posts on here (HOFF) it would seem a good few years ago. The cracks where the skirts join the car at the back arent actually that bad a touchup stick would probably hide them at the moment, but its only going to get worse.

Hoping in the next few months get the wings and skirts removed and replaced anyway.

TubbyTwo
16-06-12, 23:13
bit more work this evening, started removing the boost and oil temp gauges along with the pillar pod.

found some of the wiring is interesting so set about putting that all right.

so far removed most of the dash and traced some wires back to the ecu to find a little Greddy boost limit box wired in which i assume is an FCD.

seems to be no end of stereo cables that go all over the place.

turbo timer removed along with its connector.

downside is now car won't start and alarm won't arm.

ho hum that's tomorrow's mission.

Slicknick
16-06-12, 23:28
It may seem obvious but make sure your in park, I had to move my gearstick to get the dash out and had a minor panic when it wouldn't start :)

TubbyTwo
16-06-12, 23:32
ah that would make sense!! cheers :)

TubbyTwo
17-06-12, 12:15
cracked on again this morning and removed more work of the rats nest that didn't go anywhere.

all gauges are now removed along with the turbo timer. have put the ignition loom back to stock and taped and covered any exposed wiring.

still having problems with the car not starting. ignition works and the car locks and unlocks fine via alarm fob but won't actually start. that's a head scratcher....

think i must have disturbed something. another job for an auto electrician lol.

got a few pics of the carnage and my helper.

TubbyTwo
17-06-12, 16:09
Well after poking, proding and swearing I have finally given up. I cant get the bloody car to start, so tech section here I come.

I think it must be alarm related, it locks and unlocks, and the ignition works, the car turns over but wont actually start.

ffs.

supra digsey
17-06-12, 16:38
is it a laserline alarm? if so lock and unlock the car get in and put the 2 prong key in then get out lock and unlock and this solves it. had the same problem on mine this morning as the battery had run flat.. also replace the key fob batterys.

TubbyTwo
17-06-12, 16:50
nope toad ai 606 :(

DJT88
17-06-12, 18:16
Never tried starting mine without the dash panels, but wouldn't it make sense to need the top dash panel connected before it allows itself to be started? So the panel with the mileage and warning lights... Worth a try maybe, hope you get it sorted.

listy
17-06-12, 18:19
^^^^^
I'm sure I've started mine with the all the dash panels disconnected and removed, as I had no indicators (it was only from the front of my house to the back)

DJT88
17-06-12, 18:20
^^^^^
I'm sure I've started mine with the all the dash panels disconnected and removed, as I had no indicators (it was only from the front of my house to the back)

Ah, OK then thats not a problem :)

TubbyTwo
17-06-12, 20:41
apparently it should start fine without the dash panels. Ashbuster has suggested to check the fuses so thats on the list for tomorrow night.

letmeshowyou
17-06-12, 20:53
Great thread, how you get the starting issue sorted!

TubbyTwo
17-06-12, 20:55
hopefully, its got to be something simple. going to check all the earths and fuses tomorrow night and go from there.

Do you ever have those days when you wish you had just left the damn thing alone!!

:D

letmeshowyou
17-06-12, 21:04
Most definitely! Whoever said if it ain't broke, don't fix it was a very wise man!

tooquicktostop
17-06-12, 21:06
Coming together, it actually looks a lot like mine

letmeshowyou
17-06-12, 21:10
It does actually, just with better indicators ;)

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 09:02
cheers mate its getting there slowly. :)

The paint lets it down bit time at the moment, it needs a serious machine polish to bring it back from a dull grey to a nice glossy black.

Will get some more pictures of the weekends carnage up shortly.

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 10:51
This was the turbo timer harness that was removed that was spliced into the ignition loom under the steering wheel:

Gauges were sort of spliced in here as well, bit of a mess, was rather hoping to sell this with the turbo timer, but it looks a bit beyond repair :eyebrows:

on the ECU side (car is NA-TT) there was a long yellow wire labled "SPEED CONT" that seems to run to the ecu are, although not connected. This appears to come from the same set of block connectors that went into the cd headunit, possible leftovers from the active system.. who knows, looks aftermarket. Its the single yellow wire in this picture:

behind the dash i also noticed a small silver box with 4 small headphone style jacks attached to it, again not connected to anything. Assume this is stereo related so have left alone any suggestions?

Onwards and upwards, I found a length of domestic wire (the wite flex like on kettles etc) running from the turbo timer harness to just under the auto gear shift housing. Again not connected to anything, just covered with green elec tape so this was removed.

Also found a single green wire cable tied behind the dash again not connected. traced this back under the carpets and into the boot to find its acutally linking 2 of the rear red tail lights together, I assume for a foglight setup. Handy as need to sort that for its MOT.

Finally the wife sent a spy to keep check on what I was doing and to make sure that any screws or bolts that were left in neat piles were promply smacked all over the place:

make yourself at home:

:rolleyes::d

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 14:22
Current list of jobs:

Interior:

- replace seats with stock.
- dye carpet black.
- [-]relocate oil pressure gauge to dash (probably where the clock currently is).[/-]
- remove any excess wiring - ongoing
- replace spare wheel

Exterior:

- replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure - Clips ordered - ongoing
- adjust angle of rear diffuser.
- machine polish the headlights
- get car detailed.

Engine:

- replace O2 sensor

Kilps
18-06-12, 14:35
Good work :)

I like reading these simpler project type threads. It's nice to be reminded that there are other people out there sorting out the more standard stuff and not everyone is fitting 1million turbos and stuff!

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 14:44
Cheers, mine wont be a high power big money build, more a seriously good tidy up. The car is in average condition at the moment, which suits me fine as I have a goal to work towards. :)

Just looking at hose kits of the engine bay so that will be added to the list as well.

Samurai 20V
18-06-12, 15:50
The box with the stereo outputs might be from the Japanese Navi/TV setup.. The Speed Cont wire sounds like it may have been the speed input to the Navi. These type of systems are popular aftermarket fitments.. (Assuming your car is J SPec)..

I yanked all that crap out of my car and binned it..

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 15:58
Ah ok that would make sense! yes the car is Jspec.

So much clutter behind the dash, cables to subs etc. Im tempted to take the seats and carpet out and just remove everything thats not needed.

I only set out to remove some gauges :D

Samurai 20V
18-06-12, 16:03
Ah ok that would make sense! yes the car is Jspec.

So much clutter behind the dash, cables to subs etc. Im tempted to take the seats and carpet out and just remove everything thats not needed.

I only set out to remove some gauges :D

These Japs love putting a whole lot of crap in these cars, and they run the cables way longer than required..

As per my recent thread, I stripped the interior and neatened the wiring, much improved from b4.. I removed a good few meters of wiring..

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 16:14
Im going to have a look at your thread, see if anything looks familiar!

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 17:12
that answers the navi question then :D

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 18:24
Just put in another hour on the car before it rains. So far have stripped out the boot:

needs a good hoover out and clean, but thats a job for another day. Also found enough bolts in the rear passenger corner of the boot to start building another car, no wonder it rattled on speed bumps!

and found yet more wiring, which from reading Samurai 20v's refurb thread its all old audio/ navi stuff I think, none of it is connected.

Started to pull this through and it became stuck under the rear bench so whipped that out, to find miles of cable stuck to the floor, so out it came, ready to be pulled though once the seats and carpet come out. This little lot should certainly reduce the clutter behind the dash!

leaves a nice clean floor, with 2 green wires that go to the rear lights and a white/grey that goes to the boot light. These will be re-routed in a more suitable location.

It would also seem that at some point a window was broken as there are a few little squares of glass under there as well.

enough for tonight I think!

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 22:08
Last update for tonight, seats out and carpet removed to be washed and dyed black:

leaving alot of dirt and grit to be hoovered out from the floor pan. front and rear:

and the current rats nest of dead wiring to be removed tomorrow night from behind the dash:

This has got a little out of hand :D

Iky
18-06-12, 22:24
Great work you're doing chap. Keep it up! :thumbs:

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 22:29
cheers.

undecided what to do with the dash panels at the moment. they have been painted black but need doing again really.

Not sure whether to sand them down and repay and lacquer black or wrap with some 3M carbon vinyl.

Iky
18-06-12, 22:33
cheers.

undecided what to do with the dash panels at the moment. they have been painted black but need doing again really.

Not sure whether to sand them down and repay and lacquer black or wrap with some 3M carbon vinyl.

If you can budget for it, how about getting Dave on here to wrap them in suede? Black suede would look lush on yours.
Glossy black looks a bit tacky imo, a matt or satin looks how it should. All in my opinion of course. :)

TubbyTwo
18-06-12, 23:54
hmm black suede. didn't think of that tbh will look into that.

cheers :)

Samurai 20V
19-06-12, 00:22
Looking good..Glad to be of help..

At least you know you never gonna run short on wiring, plenty to spare!

TubbyTwo
19-06-12, 11:22
Cheers, I have found another wire that goes to inside the rear wing jsut above the wheelarch, feels like its attached to some sort of heatsink? any ideas?

5L of black carpet dye has jsut been ordered, now on the hunt for some new mats as well.

Samurai 20V
19-06-12, 13:08
Cheers, I have found another wire that goes to inside the rear wing jsut above the wheelarch, feels like its attached to some sort of heatsink? any ideas?

5L of black carpet dye has jsut been ordered, now on the hunt for some new mats as well.

Is the fuel pump ECU not in that area? Maybe you have the 12V mod done?

TubbyTwo
19-06-12, 13:57
Possibly, if thats the case I think I will put it back to stock and replace the pump depending on whats in there. Now is probably a good time to fit a new one as the boot is stripped out.

TubbyTwo
20-06-12, 18:14
Well my 5l of black carpet dye has arrived today from Valeters pride, so cracked on with the carpet, yesterday it was shampooed and then pressure washed and left all day to dry in the sun.

before:

during:

After:

going on really well so far, one 1 coat so far, will do another tomorrow once its dried fully. :)

ashbuster
20-06-12, 18:36
nice cant wait untill i get mine done

TubbyTwo
20-06-12, 21:04
needs 1 more coat, but should easily have over half a bottle of dye left. hardly used any.

thinking about doing the speaker covers as well as mine are a bit faded.

TubbyTwo
20-06-12, 21:44
Last of the wiring removed and all the interior has been hoovered out and cleaned ready to refit the carpet and seats:

included in that mess was a Japanese navi gps sensor, mini speaker and audio box, along with its own separate audio loom. Weighs a fair bit, thats got to have given back at least 10 bhp :D;)

safcdixon
20-06-12, 22:00
Nice work dude, that amount of unused wiring is crazy the japs love their gizmos, carpet looks much better! I really need too get mine done

TubbyTwo
21-06-12, 08:44
Cheers, carpet was really easy, the dye works really well, lots of light coats are better, otherwise it goes a bit stiff. however a good brush over has bought it back up. 2nd coat on tonight then back in the car.

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 11:20
Carpet has now had 3 coats, of dye, all dried out, and after being brushed its come up like new. Tonights plan is to remove all 4 speaker grills and dye them black as well, as they are looking a rather sorry purple colour these days. Also found a local person that retrims things so going to see about getting some black faux suede on all the dash panels over the weekend.

Hardly used any of the dye, so the remaining 3/4 of a bottle will be in the sale section at the weekend.

letmeshowyou
22-06-12, 13:43
pics?

Fortunately my new one came with black carpet, otherwise I'd have ended up doing this!

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 13:52
Pics up tonight buddy if the rain holds off long enough!

letmeshowyou
22-06-12, 13:53
Know what you mean, it's holding me up too!

Do you reckon mats would be easy enough to do?

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 13:58
Cant imagine they would be hard tbh. Just work the dye right in with a brush or fingers, I have an old matt in the garage so might try it.

All I did to my carpet to prep it was hoover, then spray on some Chemical Guys fabric cleaner brush in and wash off well using a pressure washer. The colour of the water coming off the carpet considering it looked pretty clean was disgusting lol.

Also worth mentioning that initially the dye smells quite strong while applying, however once dry thats all gone. I have also made the corner wet and tried some carpet cleaner and there isnt any dye transfer so thats good.

Severly tempted to find some old stock front seats and try it on them as well :D

letmeshowyou
22-06-12, 14:00
Thanks. Weirdly mine has beige mats in, and it seems a shame to throw them away when they're the right ones!

pm Dean (tooquicktostop) about seats, as his might still be at Dave's place

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 14:08
I need to give Dean a shout again actually as spoke to him before about the seats, however they took a backseat (excuse the pun) for a while.

Can always drop some dye off in a spray bottle If i head down that way in a few weeks and you can dye your mats the right colour :D

letmeshowyou
22-06-12, 14:12
lol that would be good matey, will happily pay you the going rate, just didn't fancy buying loads for such a small amount!

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 14:15
Same here, you can get autosmart carpet dye in 500ml or 1l but I have used this before and the smell is awefull, takes ages to go.

I have used just under 1L to do the carpet 3 times. So will have loads left over, quite happy sell it off in 1L bottles if folks want it.

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 18:17
Car is up and running fine, I had managed to blow an EFI fuse in the engine bay fusebox :D However its now started chucking it down so no more work tonight :(

ashbuster
22-06-12, 19:19
good news :d

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 20:52
Dyed the speaker covers, looks alot better (any overspill on trim has been taken off with white spirit)

Front before:

after:

Rears before:

Rears after:

1 coat all round, another in the morning before all the carpets and dash go back in.

listy
22-06-12, 21:32
Big improvement on the speakers mate, never really liked the blue :)

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 22:06
It looks alot better than in the pics, crap camera :D

Iky
22-06-12, 22:08
Good idea matey re:speaker covers! :thumbs:

ripped_fear
22-06-12, 22:10
Looking good, am I the only one who has black speaker covers anyway and not blue?

tkddav3
22-06-12, 22:12
i swear mine are black..ish?

looking ace fella :thumbs:

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 22:15
All the ones I have seen are a blue/purple colour?

ripped_fear
22-06-12, 22:17
here is mine. they look blacker in the flesh though.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=122124&d=1282066461

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 22:20
Flash git :D

Maybe everyone else's are just faded, or it was some extra option?

ripped_fear
22-06-12, 22:22
Flash git :D

Maybe everyone else's are just faded, or it was some extra option?

:D Well either way yours are black now and they look goood :)

You are doing some nice simple, yet effective improvements to your car. Keep it up

TubbyTwo
22-06-12, 22:32
Cheers :)

Just waiting on someone to get back to me about retrimming the dash panels in faux suede or flocking. Then hopefully find an OEM gear stick.

Iky
22-06-12, 23:49
Mine are black-ish. I think it's dust trapped in them that makes them look grey.

TubbyTwo
25-06-12, 09:15
So, the cars all back together, and seems to start so much easier as well. I went round the cabin and tightened up as many earth bolts as I could find.

Carpet is in and looks great, very happy with how it came out. Pics to follow tonight. Took the car for a blast yesterday out to our unit and its great to have it back after a week of no driving.

Then, sods law driving to work this morning I start hearing a bang noise from the rear of the car over bumps..... on inspection the rear exhaust mount has failed and the exhaust tailpipe is now resting on my nice carbon Shine auto diffuser!!!:complain::complain::complain::swear::swear::mad:

Only 12 miles to limp it home tonight with some cable ties before I get can get the parts.

:rolleyes:

TubbyTwo
16-07-12, 23:06
Time for a long overdue update!!

Speaker covers front and back have had their final coats of black dye and look much better than the odd faded blue/purple colour:

The carpet after 3 coats of black dye, left to dry for 2 days in the sun, then brushed back to its normal fluffy self. Looks good as new:

Seats out ready to be cleaned and repaired before being sold for some nice OEM ones to take a child seat....:taped:

and finally removed the vortex generators from the Shine Auto diffuser and got fed up of whacking my ankles on them every time I clean the car!

more to follow this weekend with a serious clean inside and out (weather permitting!)

supra power
17-07-12, 00:59
Hi mate how much for the seats and I have stock material seats if interested

TubbyTwo
17-07-12, 10:11
Hi mate how much for the seats and I have stock material seats if interested

Thread going up shortly buddy.

TubbyTwo
17-07-12, 10:13
Got my O2 sensor through today from sparkplugs.co.uk:

so will be fitting that at lunch, should be good to see how knackered the previous one is to give me 220 miles per tank!!

TubbyTwo
17-07-12, 13:55
Right, spend the lunch hour sorting the O2 sensor out, so hopefully this should make a noticable difference to fuel consumption. Started up just fine, and instantly the idle was rock solid and the engine felt alot smoother.

all done in 20 mins, downside is despite soaking the bolts/nuts in plusgas for the past 2 days one of the studs snapped off half way up, even after putting a little copper slip on the threads..... so this will have to wait until the weekend until I can drill it out and fit another. Hopefully its ok to drive until then, its on nice and tight so shouldnt leak that badly with any luck. Bloody typical.

FFS.

TubbyTwo
23-07-12, 16:23
New Lambda sensor is making a huge difference already, the car is noticably smoother, idles much better and so far is pretty good on fuel (for a 3l :D)

Set out on Sunday to do a full clean inside and out, but as seems to be the way these days I didnt get very far. Cleaned and sealed the wheels and tyres, and washed the car. Got some glass polish on the DA on all the windows, as the windscreen had some horrible water marks that wouldnt shift making wet driving interesting.

Removed the wonky Supra OC sitckers ready for the new ones, and fitted the slightly modifed exhaust mount from Chris Wilson.

Also quickly buffed up the headlights with the DA and some Menzerna final finish, will wet sand and machine these back properly at a later date, by for now they came up well.

Rest of the car was treated to a quick blast of Autoglym SRP until it can be machined and sealed properly.

So current list of jobs is:

Interior:

- Replace seatbelts as they dont retract.[-]
- replace seats with stock. - Changing to OEM leathers[/-]
- [-]dye carpet black.[/-]
- [-]relocate oil pressure gauge to dash.[/-]
- [-]remove any excess wiring.[/-]
- replace spare wheel

Exterior:

- [-]replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure[/-]
- [-]adjust angle of rear diffuser.[/-]
- [-]machine polish the headlights[/-]
- get car detailed.

Engine:

- [-]replace O2 sensor[/-]

ashbuster
23-07-12, 16:36
looking really nice bud :)

benkei
23-07-12, 17:29
Looking good! This should be a very rewarding build for you once you've ticked everything off your list! :D

TubbyTwo
23-07-12, 18:59
cheers. :)

safcdixon
30-07-12, 22:38
sorry too hijack your thread dude, but where did you get your capet dye from ive looked through the thread but cant see a link or company name

TubbyTwo
31-07-12, 09:31
Valeters Pride mate, they are on ebay. Which has just reminded me, I have 2l spare of the same black dye for sale.

safcdixon
31-07-12, 11:43
Valeters Pride mate, they are on ebay. Which has just reminded me, I have 2l spare of the same black dye for sale.

Il take a litre ( is that enough?)if youve got some for sale mate pm me your details :)

TubbyTwo
03-08-12, 14:09
Yeah I used a litre on mine, and managed 3 coats, it goes along way.

- - - Updated - - -

Mini update, just ordered some aero wipers as mine are shot and sorting out the list of things needed for the MOT end of this month.

Dim Sum
03-08-12, 15:25
You are doing well with the updates and finishing off the supra, good job :thumbs:

Maybe i should make a tick list and see how far and how long it takes :D

TubbyTwo
03-08-12, 15:43
Going to properly crack on this weekend, just had a load of new detailing stuff delivered so will be getting the works, clay, full machine polish, and some nano sealant etc. Also intend to investigate the lack of bass in the speaker system allthough I expect it will be the stock speakers falling appart. :D

If anyone is interested since fitting the new lambda, and filling the tank, I have now covered 620 km = 385.250 miles to the last quater of the tank. so should be easily on route for 400+ miles to a J-spec tank. Thats mostly motorway with a mix of town driving and a few decent blasts.

Considering the wifes 1.6 astra only does about 320 to a tank and she complained I would be spending 100+ a week on fuel I have rather enjoyed rubbing it in. Not bad for an old Toyota

TubbyTwo
09-08-12, 13:31
Update time!

Been busy collecting a few new parts over the last couple of weeks, first up was to change the Cobra buckets with some OEM black leathers. Came to an agreement with Peter P to swap, so headed off down to kent to collect them. Was great to have a catchup and compare all things Supra, thanks mate :)

Once home these were cleaned with Sonus leather cleaner using a soft nail brush to work the cleaner into the leather, and then wiped down with a damp MF cloth:

Once left to dry for an hour the seats were then treated with Sonus leather conditioner to bring back the nice deep black finish:

Next on the list was to replace the dead wipers, eventually will refurb the stock wiper arms in satin black metal paint once the weather sorts itself out.

Off with the old:

and on with the new aero wipers, fantastic mod over the old style ones highly recomend upgrading to these:

Then it was time to start sorting out the audio, its not been great since buying the car, there is no bass and it buzzes and crackles even at modest volumes. The nail in the coffin was one by one the speakers got worse and worse. Expected them to be the stock speakers and wasnt disapointed:

both rears and I expent the fronts have suffered the same fate :D

While the rear speaker grills were off they were treated to 2 more coats of black dye to freshen them up:

Following Rob's excellent templates in the ICE section here:
http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35019-Front-Speaker-Mounts-Template

I made some mounts from MDF ready to replace the front speaker boxes:

These have been cut out and sanded down before being glued and screwed together. As the whole audio system will be redone next year with new headunit, amp, sub, speakers and wiring I deceided for the time being to pick up some cheapish speakers front and rear so settled for some FLi 3 way triaxial speakers. Might not be the best out there, but for 25 a set they will do until the proper stuff is fitted next year and a nice easy straight swap for the stock ones:

Just got to sort out a rear foglight PCB from Heckler for the MOT on the 20th which hopefully should pass without any problems. :)

Peter P
09-08-12, 14:19
Was good to meet & chat with you too Si. :thumbs:

Glad to see the seats came up nicely. ;) the Cobra's should be getting dropped off today. Can't wait to get them back! ;) Lol.

Wipers look cool. Where did you source those? Need new ones for mine.

Good progress you're making mate. :)

TubbyTwo
09-08-12, 14:38
Looking forward to seeing what you have done with the Cobra's, deeply enjoying the new seats, very comfy! Slowly getting there, just the belts, dash panels and gear shifter to sort out inside then I can move onto getting the outside tidied up.

Wipers are from ebay chap, 21inch drivers side, 20 inch passenger, work a treat, think they were about 10 delivered for the pair.

Peter P
09-08-12, 15:22
I'm looking forward to seeing them too mate! ;)

As we discussed the other week, there's ALWAYS some niggle or fix you need to do to these cars! ;) It's actually one of the things I enjoy about them over other cars to be honest! :)

If you take as much time and care over the rest of it mate, will be a cracking example when you're finished! :thumbs:

I'll be sure to post up some pictures of the seats when I get them back from Cobra.

Will look into those wipers as well fella.

Cheers. :)

TubbyTwo
10-08-12, 22:51
Thanks Peter, getting there slowly.

Tonights job was to replace the speakers.

both rears in: (test fitted with screws, new holes drilled)

Removed the front door cards to find a nice suprise, some very well made plywood speaker brackets with Alpine Type E speakers that look brand new. In fairness these sounded fine with the FLI coaxials fitted to the rears, but wanted them all to match, so out they came. Each speaker had well over a meter of speaker cable which was a bit excessive so these were replaced with new shorter cable:

FLi's fitted:

Have to say considering the new speakers were under 50 they sound pretty good. Im planning to rip all the audio stuff out next year and replace all the wiring, speakers with components and fit amp/sub in the boot plus dynamat the boot and cabin floor. But in the mean time this will do fine :)

While the door cards were off I decided to break them down so they could be properly cleaned with APC, speaker grills dyed again and the leather parts cleaned and fed. Speaker grills have now had 4 coats of dye, and the rear speaker grills have also been dyed again and refitted.

The alpines and my speaker brackets have gone in the sale section along with the current headunit as found a rather tasty Pioneer one with parrot hands free built in. :D

enough for one night, cold beers are calling.

TubbyTwo
02-10-12, 14:47
Massively overdue update, pics to follow!

Not really car related but had the whole front garden block paved so now its nice and level for working on and under the Supra. :)

Car sailed through its MOT, only advisory was for a noisy exhaust :D:eyebrows: Fitted an NA 2nd cat, very kindly loaned from Probox for the MOT and discovered that the decat pips on the car both appear to be HKS ones.
Dowside is that in a moment of stupitity I have fitted the restrictor ring back in the wrong place. I was between the 1st and 2nd decat pipes, I have fitted it after the 2nd decat... so now my boost readings are rather odd and the controller needs setting up again. Will remove and refit at some point. :rolleyes:

Since the last post I have been busy collecting audio parts, ended up with an Alpine amp from Abz, and for detailing a friends M5 was given a 10" sub and compact box. :) (and a rather nice blast with both cars followed ;) )

The levoc gearshifter has now been removed and sold, and replaced with a nice OEM stock one. Personally I think its far better than any aftermarket one and its not a mile high either. The leather is a bit worn, so planning to order a new casing from Toyota. Bit of a fiddle to fit, but no mojor problems.

For the MOT I removed the HIDs, they werent fitted very well, and were letting moisture into the headlamps. It also looks like the rings on the back of the light cluster are aftermarket ones as no trimming was needed to the back of the new bulbs. I did however have to use a Dremel and cutting tool to grind down the 2 tabs inside the connector on the base of the new bulbs so they fit the Jspec harness. These are circled in red on the pictures, easy to do with a steady hand and a bit of patience. They are now a nice snug fit, the lights were then refitted and the beams were angled correctly at night while aiming at a wall.

The boot blind was starting to look a bit sorry for itself so I decided to remove it, clean the top with a strong APC mix and use some Valeters pride black dye (same as used on carpet) to dye the underside. Whilst that was out, the rear boot carpet was sprayed with APC and brushed in. This was left for 5-10 mins to penetrate and then used the George wet vac to extract with hot water, surprising how much muck came out! Once the carpet had fully dried, it was sprayed with some Valet Pro enzyme odor eater. However when trying to lay the rear seat flat I have managed to break the pull rod, so now the seats wont fold...:complain:

I have ordered a leather recolouring kit from the Furniture Clinic with acid wipes, leather cleaner, black leather dye and a sealant. Front and rear seats will be treated to the full works and re-dyed black. http://www.furnitureclinic.co.uk/index.php

Engine bay is also next on the list as its remained untouched for the moment. Im on the hunt for a stock TT airbox as not a fan of the open filter thats on there at the moment. Decided to go with blue silicone hoses from SFS so have priced up enough to do the entire engine bay. these will be fitted next month aong with the cam cover gaskets and cam breather hoses.
http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/

The car has also had a full claying, decontamination and hours of machine polishing to remove all the cloudiness in the paint and bring back a nice glossy finish. The car is currently wearing 2 coats of Wolfs Chemicals Bodywrap. For those into detailing I used the following:

Prewash - Autobrite Magifoam - http://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/index.php/exterior-cleaning/snow-foam/magifoam.html
Main wash (body) Zaino Z-7 Show Car Wash (2bm) - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zaino-z-7-show-car-wash/prod_470.html
Wheels/bodywork - Wolfs Chemical Deironizer - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/wolf-39-s-chemicals-deironizer-v3-brake-duster-/prod_899.html
Arches, trim, doorshuts - Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/exterior-degreasers/meguiars-all-purpose-cleaner/prod_321.html
Drying - CYC 'Fluffy' Drying - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/cleanyourcar-huge-39-fluffy-39-drying-towel/prod_634.html
Iron removal (bodywork) - Wolfs Chemical Deironizer
Claying - Bilt Hamber Regular Clay - http://www.bilthamber.com/clay-bars/auto-clay-regular
First stage polish - Menzerna Power Gloss - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewBrand&brandId=13
second stage - Menzerna Super finish - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewBrand&brandId=13
Polishing Pads (by DA) - Chemical Guys Hex Logic - Orange cut, white finishing - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/chemical-guys-hexlogic-pads/cat_82.html
Wipedown - IPA/distilled water mix
Final protection - Wolfs Chemicals Nano Bodywrap (by hand) - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/wolf-39-s-chemicals-nano-body-wrap/prod_901.html
Tyre/ Arch dressing - Wolfs Chemicals Blackout - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/wolfs-chemicals-blackout-tyre-dressing/prod_1011.html
Trim coating - Wolfs Chemical Trim Coat - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/wolfs-chemical-trim-coat-150ml-/prod_904.html
Glass - Autoglym Car Glass Polish - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/engine-and-exterior/glass-cleaners-sealants/autogylm-car-glass-polish/prod_748.html
Exhaust - Autosol

Westy
02-10-12, 15:45
Nice work so far...keep it up!:thumbs:

TubbyTwo
02-10-12, 15:59
Here are the Sizes for the SFS silicone hose's that will be ordered shortly:

http://www.sfsperformance.co.uk/

All sizes are I/D, 3m lengths:
3.5mm
4mm
6mm
8mm
10mm

That should be more than enough to replace pretty much every vac line in the engine bay.

TubbyTwo
22-10-12, 10:24
Managed to clear the garage out enough yesterday to get the car in and spend a few more hours on it. Been having 1st turbo problems lately, not making much boost, so wanted to replace all the vac lines with new to see if that was the issue. Also had some almost new cam hoses from RobD to chuck on as the current ones were a right bodge.

Started off with the vac lines with my trusty woolworths bendy lamp, customised with a load of Revs and Max power stickers from back in the day:

Then onto the cam hoses, the front one had to be cut and pulled with mole grips as either end had welded to the nipples, it was fuel hose that had been bent. The rear hose was a mess, it was an OEM hose that had gone rock solid, split and had been repaired with cable ties and black electrical tape to try and stop it leaking.

rear hose:

Soaked new hoses in hot water, then fitted after wiping up as much of the oil as possible.

Not bad for an hours work.

Also managed to collect a stock airbox from Melloman on saturday, so that will be going on at some point. Hoping this can be made to fit with my nice shiney HKS intake pipe! Also have a THOR delimiter from RobD to be fitted as well.

Noticed a small leak from the rear cam seal so both of those will be replaced, at the same time the cam covers and coil pack cover will be repainted as well.

Getting there:

So current list of jobs is:

Interior:

[-]- replace seats with stock. - Changing to OEM leathers[/-]
[-]- replace gearstick with an oem one.[/-]
[-]- dye carpet black.[/-]
[-]- remove turbo timer[/-]
[-]- remove 2 gauge piller pod[/-]
[-]- relocate oil pressure gauge to dash.[/-]
- replace headunit
[-]- replace speakers[/-]
- fit Amp and Sub
[-]- remove any excess wiring.[/-]
- replace spare wheel

Exterior:

[-]- replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure[/-]
[-]- adjust angle of rear diffuser.[/-]
[-]- machine polish the headlights[/-]
[-]- get car detailed.[/-]

Engine:
[-]
- change sparkplugs[/-]
[-]- replace 2 cam cover breather hoses.[/-]
[-]- replace coilpack clips[/-]
[-]- replace O2 sensor[/-]
- fit THOR delimiter
- replace all vac hoses - underway
- Fit stock airbox
- refurb cam covers
- replace cam gaskets
- paint plastic engine cover

Happy days. :)

TubbyTwo
01-12-12, 16:17
Small update as have been trying to solve some issues.

Removed trd style wing as could hear water inside it. Fitted badly no gaskets, sealant other anything to stop water getting in.

The original spoiler holes have been butchered to make it fit and as a result the metal is rusty.

http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2012/12/5.jpg
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2012/12/6.jpg

The wingless look is growing on me!
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2012/12/7.jpg

Rich.2211
01-12-12, 17:02
I'd keep it wingless, get some facelift rear lights and give her a clean. Looks mean from the back with that diffuser!!

Feel free to sell me your wheels as well whilst your there :p

DodgyRog
01-12-12, 17:09
That's how I ended up spoilerless

Took it off to do some work, but it back on a couple of weeks later and decided it had to go

TubbyTwo
01-12-12, 17:40
Its not usually that dirty :D

DodgyRog
01-12-12, 17:50
HaHa a double post 41 minutes apart

TubbyTwo
01-12-12, 19:17
Spoiler will go back on, considering getting it painted black. atthe moment the holes are covered with black tape. :D

safcdixon
01-12-12, 19:24
Wow thats a real bodge job on the spoiler holes, strange way to go about widening the holes out, car looks great but i would defintley put the spoiler back on, spoilerless supras look bare assed imo

350bhp
01-12-12, 19:26
car looks awesome , are those ultralite wheels i see, i had a set on my rx7 .

TubbyTwo
01-12-12, 20:32
Wow thats a real bodge job on the spoiler holes, strange way to go about widening the holes out, car looks great but i would defintley put the spoiler back on, spoilerless supras look bare assed imo

Yeah bit of a mess. Tempted to source another boot and do it properly.

car looks awesome , are those ultralite wheels i see, i had a set on my rx7 .

Thanks mate, yes they are ultralite Nurburgring 18s from memory :)

TubbyTwo
04-12-12, 16:25
Considering removing the shine auto diffuser, and seeing what the car looks like without. Pretty much decided that the TRD style wing is off to the bodyshop to be painted in 202 black.

So In the next few weeks there may well be a mint diffuser up for sale ;)

Rich.2211
04-12-12, 17:36
So In the next few weeks there may well be a mint diffuser up for sale ;)

Mars bar? Twix? Money is tight near Christmas :(

Edit - I'll stretch to a celebration box, seen as I'm feeling festive.

TubbyTwo
03-02-13, 19:52
Well long time no update!

Firstly new autobox fitted with new fluid and fingers crossed it seems to have sorted the problem, few idle problems and strange box behavior with revs rising and dropping which I assume was down to the ecu sorting itself out.

oil level checked and spot on, so hopefully will test properly when I get a dry day, first impressions tho its far better than its ever been, even when I bought the car so not sure its ever been right.

Not really much action on the modifications front, the Shine auto diffuser has now been removed and will be winging its way to SpeedyAndy this week ready for Dragonball 13 :)

I have also decided to refit the Stock airbox and give that a whirl, so the HKS RS pipe and K&N were removed this afternoon, nice bit of bling but my fancy OEM for a bit.

before:
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2013/02/50.jpg

after:
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2013/02/51.jpg
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2013/02/52.jpg

Feels alot smoother low down, but that could be due to the fact my autobox is shafted anymore :D airbox needs a good session with the trim dressing when the engine bay is eventually cleaned and dressed.

That's all for now folks :)

skippyboyo1
03-02-13, 20:32
Just caught up on this, yeeee like wingless! Speaking of wings I've got you a prezzy!!!........

skippyboyo1
03-02-13, 20:33
http://www.mkivsupras.co.uk/imports/2013/02/53.jpg

TubbyTwo
03-02-13, 23:28
The owl!!! :d

Mighty find looking chap he is as well!

skippyboyo1
04-02-13, 18:50
Hahahaha love it!

TubbyTwo
04-02-13, 19:03
Hahahaha love it!

have you seen Phoneshop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFlPxIxmego

A Owl will make sense after that ;) :D

skippyboyo1
04-02-13, 19:31
A OWL! my god I love my owl more than ever!

Samurai 20V
04-02-13, 21:32
Sup Tubby..

You fancy letting go of the HKS RS induction pipe and fittings? Been looking for one for a while..

TubbyTwo
29-04-13, 11:43
Should have PM'd me dude, only just seen this!! sold a few months ago now! sorry chap!

Any way, a long overdue update! My daughter takes up 90% of my time now, not that I'm complaining at all but the poor old Supra has take a serious back seat of late.

Currently its without its front bumper, FMIC, engine hoses, no tax or insurance etc. I have been hunting a TPS error for some time and am slowly collecting all the bits I need to sort that plus tidy up all the little jobs. Looking rather sorry for itself up front:

I have been hunting rattles and vibrations in the engine bay and had found and sorted most of them, however upon removing the front bumper I found the crash bar to me missing and none of the front end bolted together when it was removed. FAIL!:rolleyes::taped:

While the FMIC was off I decided to buff it up a bit, its only a crappy XS Power one which will be replaced hopefully in the summer with a decent one hunting a 2nd hand Greddy or an SRD kit. So in the meantime it was removed along with all the weak bits of bent tin used ad brackets as it had dropped down on one side. I'm sure this had nothing to do with the fact it was bolted to the loose bumper support bar.... :rolleyes:

This is what it looked like before bit of a "gangsta lean" on the core:

spent a half hour with 2 small screw drivers straightening up all the bent fins where it had touched the inside lip of the bumper and flattened almost an entire row off. Also the previous owner somehow managed to put a massive dent in the top of the core.... quick buff up with the drill polisher and its looking semi respectable:

Will be fitted back with new brackets and ducted properly using the guide on here.

Also my stock dash panels will be getting some love, the look like they have been plaited with a broom and are a right mess, so will all be coming off the car, sanded down and primed before being sprayed with black plastidip. Hopefully to try and match the original finish.

For those that don't know, plastidip is spray on coating:
http://www.plastidip.co.uk/

I have gone for the black spray type, never used it before so should make for an interesting experiment, best think is if I cock it up it can be peeled off once dry. and done again.

Then its new coilpack clips, new spark plugs and a full service with all fluids and filters.

That all for now, more pictures to follow!