The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TubbyTwo's Supra tidy up!

TubbyTwo

Hi all,

though it about time that I actually got some pictures up of my Supra. Been on here for a while reading etc and finally for the car a few months back from Hoff.

Here is the original advert for the car:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?266631-With-regret-1994-Black-Auto-Full-NA-TT-BPU-%A35000

Originally I wanted a manual (as everyone buying a supra usually does) however due to various complications with work being uncertain, expecting our first child and getting married, my nice budget for a TT6 took a serious pasting.

After a few emails and calls to Adam (Hoff) I arranged to go and see the car, had a good look round and a drive and we agreed a price. The drive home was great, the auto took a while to get used to but now I actually really like it! (coming from a guy who swore he would never ever own a fast car with an auto box:D).

The car is a NA-TT, and needed a little bit of cosmetic work to bring it back to standard, but it suited my needs perfectly. (we will get to that later)

Im slowly getting some pictures, and if it ever stops raining it will get a seriously good clean inside and out.

so this is the car as it currently stands:

supe-1.jpg20120415_200043.jpg20120415_200106.jpg20120416_180900.jpg20120418_122424.jpg

First job to sort out was the speedo, it would work sometimes but not others. So after reading through some threads on here I made a start and stripped down the dashboard and found a speedo converter connected to the dash cluster but nothing else:

20120412_133837.jpg20120412_133802.jpg20120412_134437.jpg20120412_135046.jpg

This was removed and the back of the cluster put back to stock (minus some LEDs)

20120412_135357.jpg

Stay tuned for part 2.

supe.jpg

Edited by TubbyTwo (see edit history)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst the Dash cluster was out of the car I decded to remove the silver dial faces and I much prefer the stock black ones which thankfully were still in place:

20120412_134816.jpg

always make sure if your removing the needles you take note of the position of the fuel and temp needle positions, so when you come to refit you get it the same, so you get a correct reading!

20120412_134810.jpg

Once the needles were gently pulled off, the silver dials were removed and put back to stock:

20120412_135938.jpg20120412_140105.jpg

much better :)

Whilst I had the speedo appart all the dry joints on the heater controls, dash cluster, auto gear indicator leds and the oil level, oil pressure and engine man lights where all redone. These were then tested and were now working fine.

All the surfaces were wiped down with IPA and dusted before being refitted, as there is nothing worse than putting the dash cluster back together and getting dirt and dust on the speedo face.

Now I mentioned that there were a few cosmetic problems that needed sorting out, tbh the paintwork was looking rather tired and that will recieve a serious machine polishing session when time and weather permits. But for for now it get washed twice a week with with Valet pro shampoo and some autobrite snowfoam thrown in for good measure.

20120530_185630.jpg20120530_185620.jpg

and finally Wolfs Chemicals Deironizer on the wheels, personally I find it fantastic stuff, PW the wheels, spray the product on and leave for 10-15 mins, agitate and PW off to leave clean and degreased alloy wheel. The purple you can see is and iron particles from the brakes being disolved which is another added bonus.

20120609_194105.jpg

More to follow :)

Ok so, aside from needing a good clean, the main problems are just with the bodywork.

The car has VS sideskirts which have been blended in front and rear, as always happens the filler cracks along the panel joins, sadly on mine this has happened on both sides, also the paint has been stone blasted off by the front wheels :D

IMG00154-20120401-1307.jpgIMG00155-20120401-1308.jpgIMG00153-20120401-1307.jpg

The passenger side however is worse as the skirt has a vertical crack and has cracked where its blended to the front wing:

IMG00151-20120401-1306.jpgIMG00152-20120401-1307.jpg

Im not fussed about repairing the skirts as I dont really like them anyway, so both front wings will be removed, along with the skirts and Im going to see if a body shop can cut and blend the rear cracking out back to the factory panel lines on both sides.

Im planning to keep stock front wings and would like to replace the VS skirts probably with some Toyota ones in the next few months.

Next on the list is to remove my nice seats and replace with some stock ones as sadly with the wife being pregnant, she cant get in, nor can we fit a child seat. However currently undecided on Stock cloths or leathers for the front, current seats will be removed, repaired and sold, complete with custom rails.

100_1031.jpg

Current job list:

Interior:

- Replace seatbelts as they dont retract.

- replace seats with stock.

- replace gearstick with an oem one.

- dye carpet black.

- remove turbo timer

- remove 2 gauge piller pod

- relocate oil pressure gauge to dash (probably where the clock currently is).

- replace headunit and speakers

- remove any excess wiring - ongoing

- replace or wrap dash panels

- replace dash LEDs for speedo cluster, heater panel and clocks.

- replace spare wheel

- source OEM toolkit for boot.

Exterior:

- Replace VS sideskirts and sort filler cracking issues.

- replace front drivers wheel arch liner, and undertrays.

- replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure - Clips ordered - ongoing

- remove front bumper and adjust IC position.

- adjust angle of rear diffuser.

- machine polish the headlights

- get car detailed.

Engine:

- change sparkplugs

- replace 2 cam cover breather hoses.

- replace coilpack clips

- replace O2 sensor

- replace ECU coolant temp sensor

- replace horn with something more manly.....

- Steamclean, dress and polish engine bay.

So not much!

Looking good dude, black Supra's rule.

Cheers guys, mechanically its sound, and the bodywork is whats to be expected for a sub £5k TT auto, but I was after something to keep me entertained and this fitted the bill perfectly.

Im not really fussed about dull or scratched paintwork, this can all easily be machined out in the the summer months so bring the car back to its former glossy self! :)

Hey.... Looking great !!!!!

Recognise where you are..... Im just round the corner from you, Kesgrave.....

Often see you about... Hey, If I was to remove my speedo cluster and remove my needles, would you maybe be willing to give me a hand.... so scared of loosing the needle positions, lol..

Mini Update:

Currently in the process of changing a few bits, Spark plugs were first on the list. After hoovering out all the dirt from the plug wells (with old plugs still in place) using the wifes Dyson it was time to whip the plugs out, none of which were done up very tight at all. Car had Denso Iridium IK22's fitted but they had seen better days:

spark plugs.jpg

These were replaced with some NGK BKR7e plugs. Three of my coilpack clips decided to self destruct, so new ones were sourced from Keron at Extreme performance, top guy, and fast service.

Noticed 2 of the stock coilpacks are starting to crack near the screw holes, so these eventually will be replaced with a nice set of superspark ones. :) Next on the list is to source and replace the cam cover breather hoses as both are hard and seen better days.

A new O2 sensor and ECU coolant temp sensor will also be ordered in the next few days.

Cheers mate, TBH I dont actually know, looking back through the previous owners posts on here (HOFF) it would seem a good few years ago. The cracks where the skirts join the car at the back arent actually that bad a touchup stick would probably hide them at the moment, but its only going to get worse.

Hoping in the next few months get the wings and skirts removed and replaced anyway.

bit more work this evening, started removing the boost and oil temp gauges along with the pillar pod.

found some of the wiring is interesting so set about putting that all right.

so far removed most of the dash and traced some wires back to the ecu to find a little Greddy boost limit box wired in which i assume is an FCD.

seems to be no end of stereo cables that go all over the place.

turbo timer removed along with its connector.

downside is now car won't start and alarm won't arm.

ho hum that's tomorrow's mission.

uploadfromtaptalk1339884622438.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1339884645047.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1339884803173.jpg

cracked on again this morning and removed more work of the rats nest that didn't go anywhere.

all gauges are now removed along with the turbo timer. have put the ignition loom back to stock and taped and covered any exposed wiring.

still having problems with the car not starting. ignition works and the car locks and unlocks fine via alarm fob but won't actually start. that's a head scratcher....

think i must have disturbed something. another job for an auto electrician lol.

got a few pics of the carnage and my helper.

uploadfromtaptalk1339931579060.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1339931611485.jpg

Well after poking, proding and swearing I have finally given up. I cant get the bloody car to start, so tech section here I come.

I think it must be alarm related, it locks and unlocks, and the ignition works, the car turns over but wont actually start.

ffs.