The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Fuel pump oppinions (tuner quote inside)

spikedjack

After the sad write off of my last car which, i have sourced another that is near stock.

Im wanting to BPU+ this and have most parts to do so from my last car however, when i removed the fuel pump it was a stock item.

This got me thinking as it flowed fine for the level the car was at but i obviously want the next one to be safe knowing this, so i looked into walbro's.

Upon doing so i find:

"Genuine Denso fuel pump from Toyota. Part No. 23221-46110

We purchase these fuel pumps in large bulk for our fuel systems. What does this mean for you? Well we can offer just the pumps to you at a great deal.

Over the years there was a switch to the Walbro 255 liter per hour fuel pump as a replacement when upgrading the intank fuel system on MKIV Supras. This trend increased when people starting going to dual and triple pumps in the tank, as the Walbros were thought to flow more than the factory Denso units and were smaller in diameter, which facilitated multiple intank pumps rather nicely.

As time developed it was learned that the original testing done on the Walbro 255 vs. the Denso Supra pump used a flawed methodology. The actual results show the Denso flowing at nearly 290 liters per hour at 43psi and as much as 225 liters per hour at 58psi. The 255 Walbro flows about 250 liters per hour at 43psi, or approximately 15% less. The Walbros are still a very good pump, but not up to the same quality level as the Denso units. It should also be noted that the Walbro-Whine (noise from the pumps when running) became synonymous with multi pump set-ups.

The Denso units are factory quiet as well. Just another option and some data from SupraStore.com

These are the same fuel pumps from a 93-98 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, that have been used in many other high HP imports for years."

From Suprastore....

Just wondering what the truth is in it?

I mean if i need the uprated pump i'll get one but reading this seems like everyone else has been scaremongered into buying uprated pumps for no need at BPU level?

Any help on this would be great :)

Cheers

The OEM UK/US spec fuel pump has a higher flow rate compared to the Walbro and OEM J-spec pump. The UK/US spec pumps are a different fit in the hanger to the J-spec pump - they can be made to fit but they aren't a straight swap.

Walbro pumps are tried and tested and able to supply enough fuel at BPU levels, they are also relatively cheap.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)