The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Urgent help needed! Can't remove Crankshaft pulley :-(

Andrew K

I'm at a loss and don't know what else to try! :(

I've read a few old post about how to remove the crankshaft pulley but none of the things

Have helped much!

I've used a snap on impact gun to try and remove the nut but no joy!

Even made up a home made clamp to put round the pulley to hold it in place and then use a t-wrench with a big

Bar on the end to try and remove it, still no joy! In fact the clamp slipped off and I nearly broke my arm :blink:

Can anybody help with other suggestions?

Just one question does the nut have a right hand or left hand thread on it?

i borrowed a home made kit from someone on here ,which bolted to the pulley it had an arm on it which rested on the chassis ,and i used a socket with a 6ft scaffold pipe on it ,it came off ok .are you manual or auto ???

the way to do it is use the engine just get a braker bar to the floor and turn over the engine,make sure you have it the correct side other wise it will spin and could damage things

I would advise against this as it probably wont work anyway. You need a decent locking tool and a 3/4" bar and socket, then its not a problem.

the way to do it is use the engine just get a braker bar to the floor and turn over the engine,make sure you have it the correct side other wise it will spin and could damage things

i have a prper locking tool. i still use this method and it has never let me down. just be sure to pull the efi fuse so it deosent fire

i borrowed a home made kit from someone on here ,which bolted to the pulley it had an arm on it which rested on the chassis ,and i used a socket with a 6ft scaffold pipe on it ,it came off ok .are you manual or auto ???

Maybe the locking device I made wasn't good enough! Kept slipping off the pulley!

The cars an Auto, does that make any difference to being a manual?

Worries me doing that! But can't anyway as the engine is in bits

But still in the car.

I would advise against this as it probably wont work anyway. You need a decent locking tool and a 3/4" bar and socket, then its not a problem.

Yeah don't fancy that method much! Where can I get a decent locking tool from that will do the job?

halfway down in this thread is a pic of said tool

http://www.soarerworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=246495

Thanks that helps as can see what the correct tool looks like now, have to try

And make one as bet they cost a fortune from Toyota!

Don't suppose you or anybody knows what size thread the 2 bolt holes are on the

Crank pulley that the locking tool bolts into?

I made a Locking tool up, Found a good accurate drawing on this site it working really well, Ive had a search but cant find it for the life of me.

It jammed against the floor and bolted to the pulley M6 ish bolt size from memory.

If you've abused the crank pulley getting it off with the wrong tools i'd fit a new one as they

tend to fall apart and cause all sorts of damage when they do.

It wasn't looking to good to start with and now it looks even worse!

I'm deffinatly putting a new one on :)