The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sideways Heaven.......

Suprash

Guess what we did last night :devil:......

Well it was raining and Paul (slow dog) was dying to go out and have some fun, so we found an empty car park (McDonalds ;)), and started with the basics....... :innocent:

So I done a few doughnuts, and let Paul have a go, and boy can he get a car round.......:flame Dev After he done a few doughnuts, and a full sweep of the car park, he started doughnutting round a pole, and I thought Im having a go at that, but I was a little nervous about it being a solid pole that wont give way if I clip it :( So off we trundles to the nearest road works to find ourselves a 75cm Dominator, to the normal person this is a traffic cone ;) (which we now have sat in my lounge as a trophy ) and back to McDonalds........

Once the cone was placed in the middle I positioned myself and off I went, and after going round steering in and out I realised this is quiet easy.......

Then it was onto the burnout, so I straightend up and gave it some revs and lifted the clutch, then onto the left foot breaking, although it was a little sketchy at first and eventully after finding the right point on the breaks the fronts were locked and the rears were spinning, and I mean spinning, we had the arse of the car sat in a huge cloud of smoke, held that for a while and we were both as happy as pigs in shit :) ...........

Lesson no1 completed.............

Next lesson, figure of 8....... :flame Dev

Originally posted by MONKEYmark

watch out you dont cook your tranny fluid and kill your gearbox. :eek:

Thanks for your concern, but Im really anal about my car and made sure it was only short stints, and we trundled around the car park giving her breaks and making sure she didnt get too hot...... ;)

Nice one mate!

Next time your in that sort of mood let me know, i've got my baby mot'd now at last and my rear rubbers are on the markers and i've always wanted to send them off in style!! :innocent:

Plus i'll need a camera man!!

:D

I've never even purposly spun her up either (yeh i know) so might have a go at santa pod next weekend up the track if it ain't hammering it down!!

Thanks graham next time we're out we will give you a shout

and we can go out and learn how to keep hold of these puppies.

Mark, What is the point of having a rear wheel drive car, with 400+ horses and not know how to handle it when it goes all wrong, which it can if you was going round a roundabout in the wet outside Asda, and their filling lorry has just left.

Doing doughnuts round lamp posts is fun, looks good, and also teaches you about under/over steer, throttle control, weight transfer, and what to do/what not to do when your car is in a slid.

I thought I knew how to drive the Supra, but since this, I knew very little.......if you want to drive fast car in a straight line, thats ok, but learn how to drive a fast car in a straight line first.

No ofence, but when did you last go out and find out where her limits are.......????

;)

I thought the point of this BBS was to share with others what we know and have learnt...........not to get slated.

:D :cool:

Well played Ashley... it's good fun looking out of the side windows to see where you're going isn't it !? :p

Doing the slow speed stuff gives you an appreciation of throttle contol when the rears are sliding. If it ever did get out of shape on a slippery roundabout then you'll be in a much better position know.

If you ever go out again (in the wet), try placing the cone in an open area then accelerate upto to it, approach it on a wide angle, go heavy on the brakes whilst turning in sharp (this should unsettle the rear end), then go on the power and power-slide away from the cone.

This will give you an idea of how easy it is to step the rear end out when there is little weight acting on it. The rear will swing round at a faster rate than the slower speed circles you have already been practising and will require a more enthusiastic approach to the use of the steering wheel !! :p

I totally agree with what you guys are doing,I owned a 3 litre rear driver before my supra and I had hours of fun getting the back end out and learning to drift it in a few of my local car parks,If there are anyone who has a local race circuit that does a skid pan course i would highly recomend it as I was 18 and done a course down at castle coombe race circuit and that really gave me a good starting point and that was what made me realise how much fun it was,With the supra albiet a bit on the lardy side youve got a bloody good platform to learn properly how to slide and control it,Youve got good power and a long wheel base plus your sat close to the back end so you can feel it when the back end really lets go,Im with another forum which recently rented out castle coombe,From the off it was very wet on the circuit and most of us came a croper at one point but youve got alot of room for error and you know that everyone is going the same way,But bcause it was soaking you could really throw the back end out and not worry about bouncing it off kerbs,I had a drift on down the straight at over 90!

One of the wierd and wonderful things about sliding the car round is letting go of the steering wheel,I know that some people out there wouldnt comprehend doing that and probably think im mad but when you get it really out of shape and the back end snaps hard all you can do is let go of the wheel,If you try and catch it then the wheel will snap back and could in extreme cases snap thumbs but if you try and catch it there it wont happen and you will spin,Instead let go and let the car find its own line then steer it round the problem then,The front wheels will always want to follow the line of least resistance which is normally the direction in which you want to go

Now go and kill some rubber!:flame Dev

whats smoking tyres got to do with control?

i admit it is fun trying to pull moves off. we know a guy who is a good driver, can do figure of eights around cars and people. he also can get 2 cars and drive fast handbrake turn and park inbetween 2 cars. good to watch someone who can control a car that well. prolonged burnouts will cook your tranny fluid. i did it on my gearbox and fooked the gearbox pump but got a spare gerabox for £250, what will a 6speed box cost?

i have been on a couple of tracks with corners and it is fun, i bottle out before the car and dont know the limits.

Guest slow dog

left foot braking is used on power slides and also

on the drag strip to heat up the rear tyres for a run

as we are going to pod on sunday i thought it would be a good idea to teach him how to so thats why we did

is that a good enough point............