The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is 155,000 KMs a lot on a 1993 TT 6-speed Supra?

RB-GTE

I got a pretty good deal on this Supra so without much thinking I bought it.

It's a 1993 TT 6-speed with 155,000 KMs (96,000 miles)

I have previously owned a 95 NA-TT and a Series 2 1997 RZ-S TT6.

The main goal is to upgrade to a smaller single turbo setup around 500-550bhp, and be used as a daily driver.

But the only thing that is scaring me away to invest my time and money into this car is the mileage.

I do have the funds right now to go out and buy a Series 2 1996/1997 (this is what I truely want, the pre-VVTI setup)... but I'm not sure what I would really gain. I'm not sure if I should sell my current Supra off or not.

If I did buy another one it would be below 100,000 KM which should be easy to find.

thoughts?

If it's been poorly maintained and dogged, than it is a lot of miles. If it's been cared for how they should then it'd absolutely nothing on these engines. I know that's not overly helpful but it's like asking how long is a piece of string. :D

It's a 19 year old car at the end of the day, and if the mileage is genuine, than it's seen very low usage in the grand scheme of things.

In in opinion 96,000 miles is a little high but if the engine was well looked after i wouldn't really mind.

The only other way to get a low mileage engine is either source one yourself or maybe ask Jurgen to import you from Japan.

There might be other ways but thats what i can think of right now.

What. I think people forget how old these cars are.

96k miles on a car that's almost 20 years old is nothing. That's about 5000 miles a year.

10k a year is a good guide IMO. But on supras that tend to be weekend toys it's obviously going to be less

96k for these engine is nothing though the only way to know for sure is to strip the block apart & replace what you can for reliability. Without that then you can never be too sure! Even with full service history it doesn't mean it has been looked after!

There are bonuses to the earlier cars, they have the larger diffs for example, seem more resistant to rust, better engine mounts, cheaper parts (some facelift suspension parts are double the price on facelifts)

96k miles is nothing to a Supra, my only issue would be that I'd want an auto as a daily, the gearbox is in its element :)

This is seriously low mileage if it's genuine.

If there is nothing to back up the mileage then I would take it with a pinch of salt. My car came from Japan with 56K on it, condition would suggest it's genuine but who knows what goes on in Japan. This is all down to luck Rob, if you can't see or hear anything wrong with the engine then I would stick with it. The facelift car could "do one" on you also.

As Abz says, opening it up and having a look is the only way to be sure, but expensive.

H.

Id always go for the lowest mile car you can find if you are going to keep it a while, I've had lots of supras and as with all cars the lower the miles, the nicer the car has been, people say miles don't matter but I'm betting they are the ones with high mile cars.

Id always go for the lowest mile car you can find if you are going to keep it a while, I've had lots of supras and as with all cars the lower the miles, the nicer the car has been, people say miles don't matter but I'm betting they are the ones with high mile cars.

Yeah the more I think about it 155k is a lot compared to other Supra's. If you scim the Japanese auctions or the majority of Supra's are here for sale they have around 80 - 120k on average.

Mine originally came from Japanese auction a while back. It was a grade 4 no accident and grade b interior, it got the highest grading possible for the age and mileage. It's a bone stock car other than suspension and exhaust.

I want one that I could keep for a while, I'm thinking of finding something with less than 100k on the clock.

It's not that hard to check if its genuine mileage, the Japanese regrestration certificate can usually lead you to that answer.

Yeah the more I think about it 155k is a lot compared to other Supra's. If you scim the Japanese auctions or the majority of Supra's are here for sale they have around 80 - 120k on average.

Mine originally came from Japanese auction a while back. It was a grade 4 no accident and grade b interior, it got the highest grading possible for the age and mileage. It's a bone stock car other than suspension and exhaust.

I want one that I could keep for a while, I'm thinking of finding something with less than 100k on the clock.

It's not that hard to check if its genuine mileage, the Japanese regrestration certificate can usually lead you to that answer.

It is especially important to disregard the mileage on imports unless accompanied by a genuine Japanese service history, as Supras can be easily clocked (an example of this popped up on here not too long ago). Many of the apparently low mileage imports I've seen haven't been half as nice as many uk spec cars I've seen.

Mileage is only really an issue for me if I was buying for the long term. Condition is a better reflection of the life a car has lived. Many of these cars get tarted up to be sold on, but the evidence is always there if you look hard enough.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

My car has 117000kms and in retrospect would have been better getting one with half the mileage, albeit at a higher price..

Engine/gearbox/diff should be no hassle at any mileage if maintained, but I spent a fair amount refurbing the car, paint, seats, new carpet, dash..

Alot of the common issues with Supras are linked to age, there are not many flaws with the car, but these little things can spoil the experience, unless you don't mind fixing stuff..

Eg, this morning the cable on my door lock snapped, small thing but annoying in my book, next big overhaul is suspension bushes, big money disappearing on this one..

Problem is the prices are not getting lower, for the money I paid for my car a year ago, the condition of the cars I am seeing is shocking, clean examples are fetching good money, this is in Japan btw...