The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cant believe this might happen again. :(

supraturbochris

hello everyone. Been thinking about this long and hard for the past couple of days and really really dont want to do it.

I bought my silver manual na back in febuary this year off budz as i was going to carry out a v8 conversion on it.

I got a new job in the past couple of weeks which means i have to travel approx 60 miles a day to and from and i really couldnt do this in the supra, so my missus said take my fiesta as she only does 8 miles a day to and from work. Wahay win!! :)

No longer a win :(

She has been after a new car for a while now as she has had her fiesta for about 6 years now, on saturday we popped to our local seat dealer and she has just bought the new ibiza fr. Lovely car must say.

But there is no way on earth i can afford to run the supra daily, i have looked into buying a second car but i cant afford to run 2 cars.

Next year me and the missus are looking at buying a house together so i think its time to really let the supra's go for a long while.

I need something bit more practical and good on fuel where the supra really isnt fantastic.

Im so gutted but i dont really fancy taking any chances that might mean we might not get the house next year.

People please tell me if im right about this one?????

I was telling darronq the other week how fantastic this club is, how everyone gets on with everyone.

Im not going to say goodbye though because im still going to be part of the club even with a differnt car.

Im going to be knocking up a sale thread tomorrow for her, and the sale will include all the fully rebuilt v8 engine.

chris :(

I was in the same boat as you mate, I bought a 330d for commuting and that sorted it, unfortunately I lost the bmw to flood water and in a stage of madness bought an S4 to replace it, I now spend 80-90 a fill and only get 25mpg if im lucky. Now have singled the supra and just got stung for £1500 for insuring both of them, one will have to go soon.

I know you're saying you can't afford to run two cars but couldn't you just get some cheap shed? I run a T reg Polo 99% of the time and I'm sure that the amount of money that saves me in fuel versus the Supra more than pays for the associated tax and insurance. It'd be a shame to give up on a dream mate. I hope you find a way to keep it.

sorry dude they are going with the supra.

That the prob buying a old shed i think is going to lead to alot of problems and cost £££.

I was looking at a new mazda 3 mps, well 2010 plate.

Its saying i pay £230 a month, road tax is about the same as the supra, insurance is about the same.

There mpg is around 45-50 extra urban which is pretty good. And still pretty quick. Might do that i think

An old diesel banger will still be more economical even if it only lasts the rest of this year. And if something serious goes wrong, scrap it and buy another old shed!

I bought a passat tdi for £800 as a daily driver. It lasted me a year and eventually died with 650,000 miles on it. Sold it for spares or repair and got 600 quid back.

Got myself a golf tdi now, that should last a few years at least. 60mpg and reliable, couldn't ask for anything more. I must admit running a house and two cars is expensive though!

I had a rover 220 sdi I bought it with 130k on it and that wasn't a slow old beater. I did 40k miles without even spending on an oil change and sold it for what I paid for it £400. The bloke I sold it to did another £20k miles in it then sold it for £300, the bloke that bought it from him did 15k miles just scrapped it and got his £300 back and that was after crashing it lol. Get the right beater and put the supra on a limited mileage policy as a second car with lynbrook, A-Plan or I think even sky do a second car policy now as well.

I currently run a 2.3 V5 golf that gets me 45 mpg on a really frugal run but 35 mpg most days. Its a 2002 plate and cost me the princely sum of £1200. Its got poke as well when I want it. The easiest thing in the world to do is panic, sell the supra and end up regretting it for years.

Chris.

I feel your pain but the house is the most imortant thing. If you buy a house now, you will not lose any money on it as the recession is coming to an end. Leave it any longer and you will be paying much more than a couple of grand for the same house.

At 25 I was moving into our second house and it has appreciated by over £100K in the last 12 years. I love this club, the people, the events we attend but we only do it because we can afford it. If money was tight, the Supra would be the first thing to go mate.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

H.

Guest Budz86

Sorry to see this thread dude. Is there no way you can just SORN it, buy a run around, do the conversion while its off the road and then insure it as a weekend car in a years time say?

i dont get it

if she said to take the fiesta then why cant you take the ibiza? just because shes changed cars shes changed her mind?

couldnt she use the sup if shes only doing 8miles a day bud

You don't know women very well do you?

They are like Jackdaws, they like shiny things for a while. Then again in a couple of weeks Chris, buy here a nice handbag and take the Ibiza, win, win..!!

Havard's got it right, give it 6 weeks... You rock up outside work with shades on, sexy looking Supra.

Say nothing... Nothing at all. Following morning you will find the Supra gone! You wil have to take the Seat!

Anyway slap yourself, it is all possible, just grab a train to work & you save on running a car :D

unless that money is going to help towards the house, i wouldnt sell, you already have it so make a plan to keep it! even if you just park it under a cover. I have a feeling in 6months time we shall see a thread saying I miss my supra and thinking about getting one again....seems to be a general trend on the forum :D

do what i done buy a starlet 1.3 , as a ranter... i paid £600 for mine driven it from 57k to 101k in 13 months and its cost me two tyres you cant loose dont sell your supra mate itll be the worst move youll make! just avoid puegeout etc as a lot of diesel sh#t out there

This has put a lump in my throat! I would rather sell a kidney on the black market than sell my Supra!!

I feel your pain mate. Just make sure you still make it to the meets.

+1. Gutted for you mate, was really looking forward to seeing your conversion. Like fiz said make sure you still come to the meets!

Sorry to to this again Chris

You sould consider a cheap Diesel though

I got a Pug Diesel for just over a grand at the end of last year and I reckon it has already paid for itself in the money I have saved and it is actually alright to drive being a 2.2 turbo

If you can afford to get a 10 plate Mazda 3 MPS then you can afford to keep the Supra as a weekend toy and have a cheap old diesel as the daily, but it's just a case if you want to drive an old car daily and keep the Supe for the weekends