The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anybody know much about brian crower cams.

little num

I may be wrong, but I always thought the number related to the number of degrees between when it starts to open and finishes closing.

The higher the number the longer the duration the valve is open.

Sits back and waits to be shot down by someone who actually knows what they are talking about!

You may well be right. I did state I didn't really know!

Well, one of us is probably right.

Sorry James, not really helping much here.

LOL one of us is probably right, one of us IS right :) I hope its not me you`ve been a member longer than I have.

Anyway theres bound to be some good info on these somewhere.

As a rough guide 264 cams are for stockish engines and 272 cams are for single turbo setups. The 272 cams can be anywhere from 9.5mm to 11.5mm lift on different 272 cams so you really need to look at the lift values to decide if a 272 is a good street cam or not.

I use the Crower cams and have the higher lift 272 (they give you 3 options) cams (10.3mm inlet, 10.5mm exhaust) and you get a lopey idle at 900rpm. However with 9.5mm lift (HKS for example) the 272 are fine for a street cam.

A quick search suggest the number relates to the number of degrees the crank rotates from beginning of the valve opening to end of it closing.

It would appear the ramp angle ( the speed the cam opens and closes) and the lift ( how far the valve opens) are more important than duration.

Got there in the end.