The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LPG on an NA

spider2123

Really thinking of doing it as I'm doing 90 miles a day and want to enjoy the supra all year round.

Don't mind loosing the boot space.

Assuming you do 20mpg and lpg is half the price of petrol, it will take about 13,000 miles for the £1500 conversion cost to be paid off. After that each mile you do will cost half that if you were running on petrol. LPG is a no-brainer for high mileage cars, especially thirsty ones.

Edited by hogmaw (see edit history)

My brother had an NA Aristo ( same engine) with LPG. On 50 litres or 40 quid I got from Lincoln to the Ace cafe, to Oxford and just north of Peterborough on gas, and that was a crap old single point set up, a modern multipoint will be better still.

When I had the NA we seldom used the LPG as it had a fault that I couldn't be arsed getting sorted. I sold the car to Purity14 on here and he got the LPG fixed within a couple of days. He has now done stupid mileage in my old car and swears by the LPG as a daily driver.

I would say that the fuel economy was about 10% worse on the LPG than regular petrol. Seeing that LPG is £75p a litre you are around 40% better off cost wise so it is still a no brainer.

I imagine the cost of an install is around £1200 to £1500 depending upon where you go these days.

H.

I stuck a BRC multi-point on my TT aristo and it used almost the same as it did petrol. The PITA was finding anywhere that sold gas. Within a month all 3 places that did gas near me either pump went U/S, pump got crashed into (made it U/S), or the garage closed for re-furb. Not so economical if you've gotta do a 40 mile round trip to fill up. It cost me £1800 to have installed and after 18 months I didn't do enough miles to see my cash back. Would I have another LPG motor? Yes I would but I'd never pay out the money to do it myself again though.

I stuck a BRC multi-point on my TT aristo and it used almost the same as it did petrol. The PITA was finding anywhere that sold gas. Within a month all 3 places that did gas near me either pump went U/S, pump got crashed into (made it U/S), or the garage closed for re-furb. Not so economical if you've gotta do a 40 mile round trip to fill up. It cost me £1800 to have installed and after 18 months I didn't do enough miles to see my cash back. Would I have another LPG motor? Yes I would but I'd never pay out the money to do it myself again though.

And now I'm enjoying bonuses of this investment :) I'm more lucky to live 1 mile away from Carvers Gas and building supplies so I get LPG for 63p/litre. 1000 miles trip to Poland costed me around 150 pounds one way in Aristo TT, when Supra NA at the same time would cost near 250 pounds on petrol :)

And now I'm enjoying bonuses of this investment :) I'm more lucky to live 1 mile away from Carvers Gas and building supplies so I get LPG for 63p/litre. 1000 miles trip to Poland costed me around 150 pounds one way in Aristo TT, when Supra NA at the same time would cost near 250 pounds on petrol :)

And that is in a heavier, much more comfortable VVTi :)

I kind of wish I hadn't sold that car now.