The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toad alarm going mental, any suggestions?

Style

Afternoon gents.

My Toad alarm has been playing up recently and it's beginning to bug me. The car unlocks with the standard two chirps, I enter the car and it appears as though the immobilizer is still on and won't let me start the car. The alarm then starts to click like mad once I turn the ignition back to stage 1. Pushing the buttons on the alarm all fall on deaf ears and it continues to click away. The battery voltage appears to drop right down as well for some reason and the little led light that usually depicts the state of the alarm is off completely. Opening and closing the drivers door changes the tempo of the clicking slightly but again makes no difference. After removing the key and waiting for 10 seconds or so the alarm seems to do some sort of reset and all is well again. Battery voltage shoots right back up again and the car starts with no trouble at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's nearly been the cause of me turning up to work late twice now so I'd love to get it sorted. I took a video of the goings on when it happened yesterday. I thought it might be a dead battery in the fob but the led still flashes fine on it so I guess it must be something else. Maybe have to change to the spare fob for a while and see if it continues.

From experience your battery is dieing , give it a good charge and see if that cures the problem, I have a toad alarm and it murdered a brand new battery within two weeks, I now disconnect the minus on the battery for when the car is sitting up longer than a day

My old toad alarm used to drain my battery something rotten. I can leave my car locked and alarmed for 2 weeks at a time with my clifford alarm and no problems at all.

No problem with mine - ever - even after leaving it for weeks. Until the car battery died. I've had 4 Toad alarms on various cars.

Ultimately though (and I'm guessing it's an Ai606) these alarms have been around for a while and although they meet insurance conditions, there are newer alarms on the market that no doubt will be more economical with current draw.

So are you suggesting the OP pull it all out in favour of a Clifford alarm? I would be suspecting installation issues on your Toad alarm TBH!

Afternoon gents.

My Toad alarm has been playing up recently and it's beginning to bug me. The car unlocks with the standard two chirps, I enter the car and it appears as though the immobilizer is still on and won't let me start the car. The alarm then starts to click like mad once I turn the ignition back to stage 1. Pushing the buttons on the alarm all fall on deaf ears and it continues to click away. The battery voltage appears to drop right down as well for some reason and the little led light that usually depicts the state of the alarm is off completely. Opening and closing the drivers door changes the tempo of the clicking slightly but again makes no difference. After removing the key and waiting for 10 seconds or so the alarm seems to do some sort of reset and all is well again. Battery voltage shoots right back up again and the car starts with no trouble at all.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's nearly been the cause of me turning up to work late twice now so I'd love to get it sorted. I took a video of the goings on when it happened yesterday. I thought it might be a dead battery in the fob but the led still flashes fine on it so I guess it must be something else. Maybe have to change to the spare fob for a while and see if it continues.

What's actually happening is that the car battery hasn't enough juice to power the relays - that's what's clicking frequently. Opening the driver's door will change the tempo as more current is being drawn to power the interior light and even the dash lights. Get a new battery and you'll be right as ninepence :)

What's actually happening is that the car battery hasn't enough juice to power the relays - that's what's clicking frequently. Opening the driver's door will change the tempo as more current is being drawn to power the interior light and even the dash lights. Get a new battery and you'll be right as ninepence :)

It's weird how it's like that for a while then all of a sudden it's fine through no actions of my own. Just chirps twice as normal and away we go.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll give a new battery a whack and see how I get on! :)

It's weird how it's like that for a while then all of a sudden it's fine through no actions of my own. Just chirps twice as normal and away we go.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll give a new battery a whack and see how I get on! :)

As I already said, mine did exactly the same.