The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's after BPU?

Bagci

Hi all, was just wondering what my options are... I'm going BPU when i get back from holiday and was wondering what else I can do to get the HP up! I understand after BPU itl run around 380-410 HP and i want it to around the 500 mark. I don't have a spare 5k to go single and the car is an auto!

All advice / suggestions appreciated!

You cant get 500bhp on even a bpu+++ small single would be the only way too hit that hp, 430bhp might be possible with syvecs and a cam upgrade but at 500bhp you would also have upgrade the cooling on your auto box too I'm sure there will be more along who have more experience than me too tell you it's not possible, your best bet would be sell your TT and buy one of the singles that's in the classifieds

Edited by safcdixon (see edit history)

£5k to go single? You not buying the turbo then? :D

500bhp or more the torque will be pushing the limitation on your autobox, small single is the best bet but you are talking a good invest of money. £5k will be okay though if you are doing the work yourself, buying second hand parts & no bothering with a decent ECU.

Guest Budz86
£5k to go single? You not buying the turbo then? :D

500bhp or more the torque will be pushing the limitation on your autobox, small single is the best bet but you are talking a good invest of money. £5k will be okay though if you are doing the work yourself, buying second hand parts & no bothering with a decent ECU.

And if you're not doing this, allow at least £10k to build plus and extra few for maintenance every so often.

As for 500bhp without going single; it's not been done yet, 450 is the absolute maximum and that's expensive if its done right!

Hi all, was just wondering what my options are... I'm going BPU when i get back from holiday and was wondering what else I can do to get the HP up! I understand after BPU itl run around 380-410 HP and i want it to around the 500 mark. I don't have a spare 5k to go single and the car is an auto!

All advice / suggestions appreciated!

As already said you won't get 500hp with the stock turbos, you may get 450+hp with hybrid turbos but the cost would be similar to doing a single conversion as you'd need to upgrade all the same ancillaries to support that power.

The next step up from a standard BPU setup would be to fit longer duration/higher lift cams, bigger fuel injectors, water injection and a mappable ECU - piggyback or standalone - for the cost you'll only see moderate gains of around 30+hp.

I was going to say the same, nobody ever seems to use nitrous, ive used it for years.

Next na i pick up i might bung in 500bhp of nitrous just to see what happens :D

That would be awesome to watch! Whatever the outcome lol

I was going to say the same, nobody ever seems to use nitrous, ive used it for years.

Next na i pick up i might bung in 500bhp of nitrous just to see what happens :D

If your really wanting to do that (which I would really like to see :D) then marc_p might have an N/A that he needs to sell on lol:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?270910-Why-you-shouldn-t-have-access-to-a-smart-phone-whilst-drinking!

Nitrous would be the easiest and cheapest way to get to 500bhp. The two key things with using nitrous oxide safely are one, make sure that the ignition system is absolutely perfect and two, have the system wired so that it can only be used at full throttle.

Another issue is finding an NA with a transmission that can take it. The only ways I can think of are either Hybridising an NA and a TT Autobox, buying a rare 6 speed NA with an updated clutch or fitting an R154 to a W58 car.

Buying the 6 speed car will definately be the easiest, but probably the most expensive.

Another issue is finding an NA with a transmission that can take it. The only ways I can think of are either Hybridising an NA and a TT Autobox, buying a rare 6 speed NA with an updated clutch or fitting an R154 to a W58 car.

Buying the 6 speed car will definately be the easiest, but probably the most expensive.

We have a process at work that case hardens material, I'm tempted to try it with the w58 internals, but the hassle just isn't worth the cash. There must be ways to swap internals or at least improve the internals, even if you change the gear ratio's.

I know this has been discussed to death, but would be great if a company could produce a service at a lower cost than swapping all the boxes out for a 2nd hand box. Flat rate cost to R154 and 6speeds, but they all have general wear..

As j_jza80 has posted, You can make 500bhp with hybrids at around 1.6 bar but you will need a piggyback ecu of some description and minimum of 550cc injectors. Hybrids will be cheaper than going single but then again they can be unreliable.

What EGT's do you see at 1.6 bar on a hybrid jspec turbo and what duty are the 550s running at

I don’t suppose there are many people that fit and set up nitrous? Also what sort of costs are involved to get a kit say to make around the 500bhp mark on a tt safely? Also for it to be used only on full throttle as i imagine it wouldn’t last long :)