The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What Gauges??

terribleturner

Odd it may be, but i wanna know what sort of things i should be watching. I already have a boost gauge, so what else??

I'm thinking of EGT gauge for the installment of the decats, and possibly a water temp gauge (do i really need this?). At the moment im running with induction, nur spec and boost ctl, as i said both cats are coming out:p. Do i need to watch oil temp??

Im just thinking ahead to the layout of the interior etc

Advanced thanks

Oil Temp is more important than most realize.

It's much more critical to ensure the engine is properly warm before gunning it to avoid damage and the only way to tell this is with an oil temp gauge.

The oil takes much longer to get up to temperature than water so when you think your cars warm it may not be.

Also if you can afford it I would say a AEM AF gauge is a much better bet than a EGT gauge.

Hope this helps, all IMO.

Cheers

:thumbs:

I was just thinking the other day about the oil temp, so i think that is def on the cards. Is oil pressure that important?? Where abouts does the gauge make the reading in the engine bay? Also same with water temp. I was gonna buy a top alloy pipe, but is there anywhere else the reading can be taken from?

And Matt, what is an AEM AF gauge? I have heard the term before but have no idea what one is.

Cheers

Hey TT,

The oil temp gauge will come with a new sump plug that has a recess in it for one end of the cable to screw into the other end goes straight to the gauge. Very straight forward to fit yourself.

The AEM is a air/fuel ratio gauge. Depending who you speak to some will tell you not to bother with an EGT gauge as results vary depending on where the sensor is placed etc.

Keeping an eye on the AEM will give a much better indication off if your causing any damage..

I'm sure someone more techinical than me will be along shortley to explain better.:p

Cheers,

Originally posted by Matt B

Oil Temp is more important than most realize.

It's much more critical to ensure the engine is properly warm before gunning it to avoid damage and the only way to tell this is with an oil temp gauge.

The oil takes much longer to get up to temperature than water so when you think your cars warm it may not be.

Also if you can afford it I would say a AEM AF gauge is a much better bet than a EGT gauge.

Hope this helps, all IMO.

Cheers

:thumbs:

Spot on Matt , you are learning young Jedi the HP is strong in you !!!!

Dude :flame Dev

I've got an oil temp and pressure guage and it's suprising how often I look at the oil temp to see if it's warmed up yet or check it's not overheating when you've been giving it some. Don't pay much attention to the oil pressure though, not very useful that one IMHO.

Hi m8,

defo get oil temp and pressure. I blew the head on my soop recently, and the main indication was the oil temp guage rocketing up. The standard water temp guage stayed steady! I've got mine plumbed into an greddy oil cooler sandwich plate that sits between the engine and the oil filter.