The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Are you in the 700bhp club?

Noz

Just a bit of discussion really about people running 700bhp.

I don't see much information on limits at these power levels, 600bhp seems to be a more common area for people discussing limitations. Over this, people generally build their motor, though I've seen a few run various stock components.

Just thought it would be a nice topic of conversation, of what people running this sort of power had left stock and had no issues with.

:)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the main reasons for there being so few true 700 BHP cars must be down to a few factors

Cost as you really do need a built engine

Drive ability, it stops being a daily driver and becomes a toy (I know some will clain they use it every day blah blah but its still not practical)

Ongoing running costs

I think 600 is perfect for the street

... Drive ability, it stops being a daily driver and becomes a toy (I know some will clain they use it every day blah blah but its still not practical) ...

I'm interested to hear why you think it's not practical? I daily drove mine for quite a while before I moved over here - to and from work, to the shops, to the beach, 1200 miles round trip to my brother's wedding...

I'm interested to hear why you think it's not practical? I daily drove mine for quite a while before I moved over here - to and from work, to the shops, to the beach, 1200 miles round trip to my brother's wedding...

Good for you mate, but I still dont see it as a daily driver, heavy clutch etc, its my opinion that's all, I just don't see the point of so much power for the street as a daily driver

I have owned a 700 BHP car as well BTW albeit a Skyline

Good for you mate, but I still dont see it as a daily driver, heavy clutch etc, its my opinion that's all, I just don't see the point of so much power for the street as a daily driver

I have owned a 700 BHP car as well BTW albeit a Skyline

haha, I wasn't having a go at you - even if you owned a Riceline ;)

With respect to street manners, I do have a triple carbon clutch (because I wanted the stock feel and slippability) but it still sucks to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

Oh, and the power, for me, is purely a function of the right foot. I've never needed to "prove" anything, so only drive aggressively when the road allows.

haha, I wasn't having a go at you - even if you owned a Riceline ;)

With respect to street manners, I do have a triple carbon clutch (because I wanted the stock feel and slippability) but it still sucks to be stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

ha, I was not having a go either, I have spent £1000's (in fact I imagine closer to £100K if I am honest) chasing BHP and I have to say I was happiest at either BPU+ or Small (HKS To4Z/T67) single with a nice clutch (RPS Streetmax), I live in such a busy area and spend so much time in traffic I could not go back to triple clutches

Its hard to say what the perfect power for a street car is, Depends on a lot of things, like how much money you are prepared to spend, and can you handle a 700+bhp RWD car?

I went to far with mine, Its huge fun but costs to much to run for me so im going back down to the 800 bhp range, I will most likely live longer an all.

Interesting would also like to know how many running still a stock motor with 700bhp, when a certain set-up exists of longer duration cams, valves and retainers does this mean that a supra still runs a stock motor?

Mine did about 20,000 miles at 600ish bhp, soon as i went to 730bhp it broke in a matter of weeks, bent a rod on a top speed run.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

ha, I was not having a go either, I have spent £1000's (in fact I imagine closer to £100K if I am honest) chasing BHP and I have to say I was happiest at either BPU+ or Small (HKS To4Z/T67) single with a nice clutch (RPS Streetmax), I live in such a busy area and spend so much time in traffic I could not go back to triple clutches

Yeah, absolutely agree. Quick spooling, quick accelerating with torque down low, 5-600 hp would be pretty much ideal. One reason I've been idly throwing around the idea of downsizing the turbo, or getting a turbo V8 :D

Sadly guys, I'm still no further forward with knowing who and what stock components people have run 700bhp with.

Jamesy had stock pistons, rods, crank with uprated supporting components like thrust washers, bearings and bolts.

Is this typical for a 700bhp build, as a "true" build I assume is referenced to one which is built to last.

Is the 600bhp and 730bhp figures at the hubs?

Flywheel at SRR, hub bhp is about the same as flywheel imo.

Sadly guys, I'm still no further forward with knowing who and what stock components people have run 700bhp with.

Jamesy had stock pistons, rods, crank with uprated supporting components like thrust washers, bearings and bolts.

Is this typical for a 700bhp build, as a "true" build I assume is referenced to one which is built to last.

I love Jamesy but that car was never 825bhp, more like 650 at a push id say. forget adding 20% to hub figures.

He says his new car feels loads quicker and thats 607bhp on a dyno dynamics rolling road, hub figures are bullsh1t.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Sheesh if Jamie can't or won't afford to run a 1000bhp beast then what hope do us mere mortals have? I would have bankrupted myself to keep my do-luck aristo had I of lived somewhere I could drive it properly. Now I find myself very comfortable in hot hatches which trust me shocks me more than you lot.

If you have the right driving conditions, and have the time to dedicate to actually driving the car then 700 bhp is worth having. If not get a car that looks the part and brag til your pants are full!

I actually just did a bit of math and its more than 100K ! !

That's alot of money - I certainly hope you had alot of fun doing it.

I personally think my standard car goes perfectly well enough, although a genuine 600 bhp at the wheels has to be plenty enough for anyone surely?

That's alot of money - I certainly hope you had alot of fun doing it.

I personally think my standard car goes perfectly well enough, although a genuine 600 bhp at the wheels has to be plenty enough for anyone surely?

I kept selling them which was a mistake, I had some fun,I also had a lot of heartache, would I do it differently with hindsight, hell yes !