The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Nugget Yellow Supra

Supra-duper

Having already owned one Supra (TT BPU auto), and then sold it for a more sensible Astra Gsi which lasted eight weeks, I decided it was time to move back into Supra ownership. This time I was after a nice, genuine NA manual which I could do some work to and make my own.

I went to look at a few Supra's but decided upon a nice 63k example. It was imported in 2005 with one owner through until 2011 when it went to a trader and eventually ended up with the chap I bought it from earlier this year in Ilkeston, Derbyshire. It has loads of history, including the Japanese history to back up the mileage, along with a Cat 1 alarm and all the import stickers still in the windows. Bodywork was excellent, minimal stone chips on the bonnet and only signs of previous paintwork were the offside rear quarter being blown in (receipt for £100 odd quid suggests there was no filler work just keyed or similar). It is a 1993 model, as basic as you can get with no abs, no cruise control and no slip control - just how I like it :eyebrows:

Here's a few (poor) pictures from when I first went to collect it:

Also a picture next to Josh42's red aerotop:

Once home it was a quick check over, drive it for a couple of days to make sure all was good and get it in the works unit ready for work to begin:

Along the way I found something I can only assume a sneaky little Japanese man has added:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next step was to get her completely resprayed, went for a colour you don't see on many cars and is definitely a marmite colour, Nugget Yellow. It looks different in different lights, has excellent gloss when in direct light and turns into a shouty colour, whilst out of the intense light it goes back into a more dignified yellow (if there is such a thing :D) I have chosen to have the engine bay painted in a contrasting metallic grey at a later date as the engine will be coming out. A few extras on top of the respray have been to colour code all the arch garnishes, front plastic lip, smooth front bumper, delete rear aerial, delete rear wiper, delete rear washer jet and smooth all badges.

Into the bodyshop she goes...:

That's where we're up to with the bodywork so far. Glass has been re-fitted along with the doors and tailgate.

Decided before I fork out the cost of facelift front lights I'd have a crack at re-furbing the original items.

My cooking skills:

Split, plastic primed and rubbed back (along with Josh42's inserts):

Painted:

Lense before:

Lens after wet flatting and polishing:

All back together and sealed:

Overall, massively impressed with the results and would recommend having a go to anyone :)

Whilst it's all out the car I would of been crazy not to have a crack at dying a few interior items.

Headlining:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2wpt560.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/34o902f.jpg

Carpet half way through (forgot to take a finished picture sorry)

http://i50.tinypic.com/vb0o9.jpg

Not bad for an hours work :)

That's a nice job there. Looks like decent dye to. Which did you use?

I decided upon a set of Rota GTR's for this, finished in gloss black and most importantly without the red lip that the gloss black finished GTR's always seem to have. I decided on 18x9.5J ET30 all round as I much prefer the concave effect all round. To keep with the staggered effect though I will be using staggered tyre sizes, 235/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rear along with rolled arches all round to be sorted by arch enemy all being well. The rears will inevitably end up beng run with hub centric spaces depending on clearance.

I was like a kid at Christmas when these boxes arrived :D:

Couldn't resist opening them up, although this pic doesn't show just how concave they are:

Thanks for all the comments, the car is due home tomorrow so the rebuild will begin along with fitting the coilovers, facelift rear lights and so on, so looking forward to it :)

For people asking what I used to dye the carpet, here is the link to the dye (5 litres is PLENTY)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-CARPET-DYE-DYE-MOST-COLOURED-CAR-CARPETS-/310312548619?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item484011b90b#ht_1551wt_698

Also useful is this how-to guide on the forum

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?119601-How-To-Dying-your-carpet-Black

Wow

Great work :thumbs: You going to keep it has a n/a or you going to turbo it?

Cheers! It will be going na-t all being well, just got to recover from a lads holiday to Magaluf in a few weeks time and then start thinking about stock piling the parts, or getting another n/a lump to build outside the car and drop in.