The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing front crank seal and oil pump ~ Are these the parts I need?

listy

Pretty sure the sump doesnt need to be disturbed. Crank pulley off, cam belt off and the trigger wheel/cam belt drive pulley off. Be careful when he's fitting it, it needs to be flush with the front face of the oil pump, not pushed all the way in. Labour, who kows, depends how much of a bitch the crank puley is.

Pretty sure the sump doesnt need to be disturbed. Crank pulley off, cam belt off and the trigger wheel/cam belt drive pulley off. Be careful when he's fitting it, it needs to be flush with the front face of the oil pump, not pushed all the way in. Labour, who kows, depends how much of a bitch the crank puley is.

the sump has got to come off there is a retaining lip that interlocks with the sump so you just cant get the pump off with just the bolts.

its the bottom tab on this picture

BLRaceOilPump.jpg

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

Have you had your crank pulley replaced recently? I have no idea on the cost but I would use it as an excuse to get the engine out and fit some shiny internals while I was there, or at the minimum, engine out and then core plugs/front and rear seals and other gaskets. If the front one has come to the end of its life then I'm sure others will follow. These cars are at that age now where rubber has had to last 15+ years and could do with replacing.

Have you had your crank pulley replaced recently? I have no idea on the cost but I would use it as an excuse to get the engine out and fit some shiny internals while I was there, or at the minimum, engine out and then core plugs/front and rear seals and other gaskets. If the front one has come to the end of its life then I'm sure others will follow. These cars are at that age now where rubber has had to last 15+ years and could do with replacing.

After the respray, I really cant afford any bling bits tbh.

And nor can I really afford an engine out job. From what I was told in the other thread, it seems the most likely reason it failed is because of a knackered oil pump. Im guessing too much pressure built up and thats what blew the seal. (No dirty animal jokes please!)

Its looking like mum in law is going to have to come and save the day again with the cash.

Why does everything always happen at the same time? Sods law I guess :(

I thought i'd best post this up in the correct thread for him :p

I did my first 1 in the car and had to remove the complete front subframe to allow enough room to get to the sump.

Oil pump and seal around £180 + cambelt.

If i was quoting to do a job like this with engine in id want £1000 + parts.

But personally its alot easier to take the engine out and do it that way id charge £700 + parts.

I paid a local (trusted) mechanic/garage £350 for doing the job about 5 years ago, and i supplied the parts, it needs to be done on a ramp as the suspension needs to come off in order to drop the sub-frame,

Further to mycommentt on your other thread mate, i would seriously get someone to take a look at the crank bearings and shells, as you ran it very low on oil, or you could let yourself in for an even bigger bill in the very near future.

I have found parts, I just need someone to confirm they are the right ones. Links provided.

https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2012/06/193.jpg[/img]"]Front Crank Seal

Cam Belt

Oil Pump

Can someone confirm these are the right parts I need?

I can get the majority of this at whifbitz for what look like good prices too. Think I may just go with whifbitz, that way I know what I'm getting is what I need.

Edited by listy (see edit history)