The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Buttons on Heater Controls

Noz

..If I removed the top black layer, would it leave a clear button underneth? Obviously there must be clear somewhere, as the light comes through, but the easier way to manufacutre these I would assume is to use clear plastic and paint over the top, rather than having to use inserts, but then it wouldn't be perfectly smooth.

Surely they must be clear under the black coat of paint? Does anyone know..?

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

nice will be watching :S i was wondering if anything like that was available

Not that I've ever seen, which will be nice to be the first to make something.

I need to design them from scratch. I already have a new manufacture who can make these (hopefully) to good standards, being so small I am unsure the quality of the finish. I'm using the same company who are making the door sills.

I will have a crack at this over the weekend. The concept, will be to sand the current buttons to a clear finish, and mount stainless buttons to each one, leaving the laser cut design to allow the LED light to come through, giving a perfect stainless steel button. I may have to modify the buttons to allow the steel to sit as low as possible, it all depends on the thickness of material I can get supplied.

Of course each button would require to be smoothed and sprayed on the sides to reduce that stuck-on look. The best looking modifications are the ones which look like they are meant to be there IMO.

Either way, watch this space ;)

• 1 month later...

Need some button dimensions.

Any particular car have shifty heater control buttons? Trying to find some decent photos, but can't find any new-style heater control buttons to start designing some stuff from.

Top row: 97mm total. Rear and off are both 20mm. Recirc and auto are both 27mm.

Bottom row: 17mm each button. 111mm Total

Height: 13.5mm.

Thanks for version30 for grabbing me dimensions. I'll update some examples later see what kinda designs I can begin to come up with.

Just a quick example, is this kinda thing people are looking for? Once cut out, the light should shine straight through. I'll try and do a little bit each night so I can get a set on order. Hoping they have sorted my door sills be waiting ages..

Keeping it really simple, don't think any fancy stuff is needed.

example_buttons_.png

Got a few different designs, hoping these will freshing up the inside for sure.

Remember, this idea is to use stainless steel.... they can easily be supplier or made as black to give a stock finish. I would expect these made with black on a completely stock dash, would bring the dash up to date alot more AND keep it fresh, doesn't have to be a brushed stainless steel finish.

Here are the sample buttons I've ordered, bit of a wait for these but hopefully should be worth it.

Norris_Buttons (2).jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The build continues... Just finalising the order for a whole set of these. Thanks to Buster for supplying me with a spare unit to be able to make the first off.

I'm going to make up some jigs to be able to mount each one the same, my concern would be getting the fit just right.

Hopefully... these will turn out to look ok. Either way, I'm hoping it will be the first aftermarket button set made for the Supra mkiv.

Thanks guys. Going to take them to work tomorrow to accurately measure them to make up jigs to help assemble them. Im sure they will look sweet, if someone doesnt mind the effort I could knock these out fairly cheap but depending on how long it takes to do them. Waiting for these is 4-5 weeks due to custom one off order!!