The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I have a dream...

Mike2JZ

Hi guys,

I've been bouncing ideas off the wall for this last year on how I'm going to get a Supra and get around paying stupidly high insurance (young driver here, just got my license).

As it stands there is no way for me to make any Supra a daily drive which sucks but I can live with it because...

I've had the idea to buy a cheap N/A for track use. I've already got a car with a trailer to use to move it about and a place that I can keep it to work on/keep off the roads during the week.

As far as I can tell most tracks around the UK only require MOT, and don't require road tax/insurance in order to drive on them and there are ways of getting day track insurance if I feel I need to for additional safety.

I'm looking to use a budget of around 3k - 3.5k to get all this setup.

So is this do-able? I know it's a somewhat stupid and a bad investment (economically speaking) but I want to get started on a Supra ASAP and I will literally jump on any opportunity to do so.

Is there anything I've missed that wouldn't make this possible, from googling around and talking with mates I haven't found anything that should stop me. Thought I'd ask here as well in case any of you know any different :)

Cheers

Mike

Sidenote: Any opinions on this Supra? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-Toyota-Supra-3-0L-Manual-very-good-condition-/150824732571?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item231ddac79b#ht_500wt_1413 it looks very promising and I'm inches away from bidding on it.

What car and trailer are you intending to use ?

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to buy an NA somewhere closer to where you live ?

If you cant insure the one on ebay then you'll have a lot of expense getting it back to Kent

on a trailer.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Hey Mike if you come to the Bluewater meet we can chat about it but it is certainly a good idea. This way it saves you paying out big money for insurance & you don't need to use the car as a daily driver.

Linked car looks quite pleasant! If that stays low I might throw a bid in myself!

Me too, anyone else up for a bidding war. I've seen lots of bargains on ebay that I bid on, I always forget to advertise the auction on a public forum to get some interest going and have a good wallet battle. I'm so dim sometimes.

Track days aren't cheap and unless his insurance is silly money it wont take many

of them to equal the cost.

Brands Hatch car track days are from £119 to £170 plus all the costs of

getting there etc etc

What car and trailer are you intending to use ?

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to buy an NA somewhere closer to where you live ?

If you cant insure the one on ebay then you'll have a lot of expense getting it back to Kent

on a trailer.

One of my good mates has some old Land Rover that he uses with a trailer for his cars at the moment, I sent him the dimensions of a stock Supra and he said it will fit. Not sure what sort of trailer it is, need to go check it out myself when I next see him.

You are right, it would be a lot cheaper getting an N/A closer to home, but I saw that advert and the idea of getting it now is teasing me so bad. Though I think I might pass on it as I was planning on getting all of this ready and started in 2 months time after I finish my work abroad and get paid.

Surely if you can afford track days, another car and a trailer too get it about then you can afford car Insurence on the supra? How old are you? Have you tryed specialized Insurence company's for young drivers?

I can afford any stock n/a or TT Supra no problem, however every insurance I've got a quote from have given me a range of answers all the way from 4k - 7k, the only ones I haven't tried are Sky Insurance and used the MKIV member discount, but I fear they too won't give me a decent quote. I'm 19 and just got my license, so the idea of sticking me in a Supra, though I am a sensible driver does not sit well with insurance companies :( Unless you know any companies that I have missed out on.

Hey Mike if you come to the Bluewater meet we can chat about it but it is certainly a good idea. This way it saves you paying out big money for insurance & you don't need to use the car as a daily driver.

Yeah those were my thoughts exactly, are you going this Friday?

Considering how late he posted that, maybe he was just dreaming after all. ;)

I spent a good few hours putting together a plan of action for the Supra and before I knew it, it was that late and I was writing a forum post :think:

Track days aren't cheap and unless his insurance is silly money it wont take many

of them to equal the cost.

Brands Hatch car track days are from £119 to £170 plus all the costs of

getting there etc etc

Well insurance for me is silly, and I know track days are expensive but I have put aside enough money in my budget to cover it.

Get a supra and take it to a track, you will enjoy yourself and improve your driving skills. You won't kill the car and in a couple of years you can insure it on the road.

There's plenty of time for you to do the sensible option, just enjoy yourself.

I'll be there Friday Mike though briefly.

You are one of the most sensible 19 year olds I have met, you got a good head on you, though shame you youngsters are all brushed with the same tar. Saying that I have been there & know what it is like. If you can get cheap track days then it is worth it, even if they are £100 a session, for £1,500 you could have 15 track days a year. A darn sight cheaper than insurance at your age.

I'd go with a NA if I were you, NA cars are general better suited to track days as the power is nice & linear.

You are one of the most sensible 19 year olds I have met, you got a good head on you, though shame you youngsters are all brushed with the same tar. Saying that I have been there & know what it is like. If you can get cheap track days then it is worth it, even if they are £100 a session, for £1,500 you could have 15 track days a year. A darn sight cheaper than insurance at your age.

I'd go with a NA if I were you, NA cars are general better suited to track days as the power is nice & linear.

No wonder premiums are up you drive like a loon !! You wouldn't catch me driving like that :innocent: I'm an old fart now so just waft about :D

On a serious note like has been said get an old beater and build up some no claims then your premiums will come down.

No wonder premiums are up you drive like a loon !! You wouldn't catch me driving like that :innocent: I'm an old fart now so just waft about :D

On a serious note like has been said get an old beater and build up some no claims then your premiums will come down.

I was the camera car dude, what do you expect :D

Old fart yeah right, it's because of youngsters like you honing it around!! ;)

Cheers :D

Think the N/A will be enough for me to be honest, though the idea of a TT on a track is awesome, I'll probably end up killing myself in it. Will build some experience with the N/A on a track and build up to it slowly over some years.

I might come down to blue water tomorrow for a bit so maybe I'll see you there.

Get a supra and take it to a track, you will enjoy yourself and improve your driving skills. You won't kill the car and in a couple of years you can insure it on the road.

There's plenty of time for you to do the sensible option, just enjoy yourself.

I like the way you think!