The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting Coilovers. Need some advice

Guest rolltide23

Guest rolltide23

So my car has some sketch no name lowing springs on them that are causing the front tires to rub the fender wells. I also have different types of struts for the front and rear. I was planning on getting coilovers in the future so i figure i'll just buy them now instead of getting new struts and springs. I am thinking about getting the tein super street coilovers with the edfc computer. Can you adjust these to be higher than stock height? I'm running about an inch lower than stock and the car needs to be raised about 2 inches so the coilovers would need to be able to go an inch above stock height. I have 18inch wheels with low profile tires if thats important

I had read that they work fine with edfc. :shrug:

From Tein:

"Super Street with Upper mounts adds front and rear upper mounts. The upper mounts increase steering response, and allow for EDFC compatibility. On strut type vehicles, the front upper mounts will include camber adjustment plates."

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

Isn't your problem more likely to be too wide and or the wrong offset wheels ?

I have 19" rims and lowered more than 1" and mine doesnt rub anywhere even on full lock

I guess your tyres are catching on the inner edge of the wings ?

Raising the car 1" over stock isn't the way to fix the problem in my opinion and will

screw up the handling and make the car look awfull

Can you post some pics of your car ?

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest rolltide23
Isn't your problem more likely to be too wide and or the wrong offset wheels ?

I have 19" rims and lowered more than 1" and mine doesnt rub anywhere even on full lock

I guess your tyres are catching on the inner edge of the wings ?

Raising the car 1" over stock isn't the way to fix the problem in my opinion and will

screw up the handling and make the car look awfull

Can you post some pics of your car ?

What suspension set up are you running? I bought the car with the suspension already modified so I'm not a good judge about the stock height. The car had some metal clamps to separate the distance between part of the coils when i bought it. These had to be taken off to get a license plate. They also took the tint off :( Anyway...the car is about 2 inches lower now. It does have lowering springs on now so i may not even have to raise the coilovers. The tires are Michellin 225/40 zr18 92y in the front and 255/40 zr18 95y in the rear

You might not be able to tell from the pics but my car can't even go over a speed bump without scraping the underside...

pics:

Guest rolltide23

Its scrubbing on the front fender wells whenever i turn sharp or quickly and also over bumps in the road. sometimes they scrub when i go up a incline. So i should be good with the coilovers at stock or even slightly lower than stock height?

Guest rolltide23

i also decided to go with the tein flex coilovers instead of the super street with edfc. I figure its better to have a more adjustable set up than a less adjustable set up that is easier to change...and i could always add the edfc later

If you buy the Tein Flex adjustable platform coilovers or any of the adjustable platform coilovers for the mkiv

you should be able to cure your rubbing issue quite easily, you could even fit stock dampers and springs or go

go the Eibach route and not have any problems.

Out of interest what width and offset are your wheels and are you using wheel spacers ?