The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just done a Compression test and im not happy.

little num

Been driving my car today and as i was driving i thought its starting to sound more and more like a fiesta CVH engine, for those that have never heard 1 they are very tappy top end.

So i came home popped the bonnet and listend better, when on tickover its sweet but once i hit 3 thou revs its really tappy.

So i called my engine builders and they told me right away ive bent some valves, so i said how can you tell and they just said to a comp test and you will see.

I found my tester out took all the plugs out and found these results

cyl 1 - 120

cyl 2 - 170

cyl 3 - 170

cyl 4 - 170

cyl 5 - 120

cyl 6 - 170

Now the firing order i think is 1 - 5 - 2 - 4 - 3 - 6, or somthing like that 1 - 5 for sure, so how can i have bent valves, they say its been over revved and they are prop right lol.

But i just cant see them bending unless they have hit somthing.

Think its valves as 1 - 5 are the same firing and its very tappy top end, not if you just rev it but hold it at say 3 - 4 rpm and its noisy.

Car starts and drives mint with no hesitation or missfire or lumpy.

Im going to take the rockers off tomorrow and check the clearance's and if they seem out then ill take cams out and check the valve springs.

My other thought is i have adjustable cams but as all the lobes are all the same hight if they was adjusted wrong then all the pistons would be out.

I also might adjust the cams back to stock setting and do another test.

If it is the valves it wont cost me nothing as i have a spare engine down the garage and my engine builders will do it for nothing as they love me lol, ok they will help me fix it lol.

When over reving the engine the valves will float. And if the engine is interference the valves will be bent most likely the exhaust valves as the piston chase the valve.

Valve float can also make the valvekeepers to jump out from the retainers and the valv would drop into the cylinder.

If you have acsess to a leakdown tester you could test and see of you get any noise in the exhaust port/turbo to determind if its the valves or somthing else

When over reving the engine the valves will float. And if the engine is interference the valves will be bent most likely the exhaust valves as the piston chase the valve.

Valve float can also make the valvekeepers to jump out from the retainers and the valv would drop into the cylinder.

If you have acsess to a leakdown tester you could test and see of you get any noise in the exhaust port/turbo to determind if its the valves or somthing else

This makes sence and especially as it has cam timing adjusted, might have made it interference BUT i will take the head off if the shims dont measure up right.

i dont know if the 1jz is interference or not its either interference or non interference, changing the cam gears wont affect it. however if it is an interference engine using adjusteble camgears is more risky if the bolts that holds the adjusters slip it could cause the piston to slap the exhaust valve.

good luck tho mate! :)

The 1JZ is definitively a NON interference engine. There is no way for the valves to physically hit the pistons, even if you wedged every one wide open and spun the thing over. Cam timing, adjustable cam gears, snapped belt etc, it's impossible for them to touch. It's possible that you've burnt the valve seats out though, running lean on them cylinders?

I'm unsure of the firing order, but could be a faulty injector driver if running batch fire on them two cylinders? What ECU are you running?

The 1JZ is definitively a NON interference engine. There is no way for the valves to physically hit the pistons, even if you wedged every one wide open and spun the thing over. Cam timing, adjustable cam gears, snapped belt etc, it's impossible for them to touch. It's possible that you've burnt the valve seats out though, running lean on them cylinders?

I'm unsure of the firing order, but could be a faulty injector driver if running batch fire on them two cylinders? What ECU are you running?

Even with higher lift cams, as per the 2JZ (in general, not just in this case)?