The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mixing antifreeze

Dnk

I take it theres no issues with mixing differant brands of pre mixed antifreeze ?

I cant get any Toyota Coolred as soon as i need it, i was going to top up a system

that currently has Coolred in it with an ethylene glycol based alternative from

the local motor factors

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I understood therewere two main types, 'red' (which I guess is the ethylene glycol type) and 'blue'. I know that the wrong type can be damaging if used is it something to do with the block being aluminium/iron?? I also think it affects different types of pipework & seals?), but would I guess if they have the same stuff in them then mixing will be ok, but like you I'm guessing. My local motor factors are pretty knowledgeable, I'd ask yours and see if they sound believable enough to trust.

Or if you're still worried, I think I've got an unopened 5l Toyota red in the garage you can have and then replace in slow time. :)

Thanks for the replies guys, its actually for my car, i found a leak on the bottom hose and i've always

used Coolred.

Im kind of stuck at home as my landcruiser blew a rear diff seal so need to get something from a local

supplier but thanks for the offer Steve :)

The local Toyota dont carry it lol but have the Coolpink on the shelf but thats no good in the mkiv

engine so im told.

The colour dose not denote the type, it just there so you can see it,

there are two types,

·inorganic additive technology (IAT)

·organic additive technology (OAT)

Inorganic Additive Technology

This is the traditional coolant based on inorganic additives and is called inorganic additive technology (IAT). It is a tried and proven chemistry that provides a fast acting protective film. The additives deplete and the coolant needs to be drained and replenished every couple of years. This type can be used on all mixed metal engines with components including steel, cast iron, copper, brass, aluminium and solder without any detrimental effect.

Organic Acid Technology

The newer OAT coolants work differently from the older silicate based IAT coolants. Aluminium and ferrous metals form a surface-layer of corrosion in the presence of moisture, even with the little bit of moisture in the air. OAT coolants prevent this metal-oxide layer that protects the surface against this corrosion. Inherent with their design, the OAT coolants last longer than the older traditional IAT coolants. This category of antifreeze cannot be used in systems containing yellow metals.

Damn it, I've just seen this now. I've got a 5ltr bottle of Toyota red here. I'm glad you got it sorted. Toyota world in Birmingham always have them in stock :)

I havent got it yet if your coming over this way and would save me running the car in this rather hot

weather with it being low on coolant

Thats even futher for me to drive Kam so i'll get it from Toyota in Shirley

Off topic Kam i have £15 for you, i forgot all about till now, i sold your

Japfest tick in the que so you have a refund :)

Ok dunk, i would have dropped it off to you before work if i wasn't looking after my son.

Not a problem mate, its not too far to walk in this searing heat :rolleyes: im sure i'll make it

if i take some water with me :D