The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats it worth (hi spec engine)

mattysupra

hi,

I know skyline prices but far from up to date on supras.

What should i expect to pay for a complete engine ready to drop in with a high spec including turbo etc?

Spec is-

Fully rebuilt ( zero miles ) 2jzgte

ACL race bearings

ARP bolts including head stud kit

Eagle rods

Wiseco pistons (86.5mm) and gaped for fast road/race

HKS Gasket set (1.2mm head gasket)

Stock valves re-cut and new seals

HKS Cams

HKS Cam pulleys

Gates race cam belt

Garrett Gt4088R turbo unit (rebuilt with zero miles) including exhaust housing

Titanium coated manifold (waste-gate is missing)

Large plenum with 80mm throttle body

Single port nitrous kit

Methanol / water injection

All the ancillary's are rebuilt or cleaned and painted. Chrome rocker covers etc.

Missing is injectors and fuel rail, wastegate and engine management. I think every thing else is there for a complete drop in engine change including alternator etc.

Im wondering what sort of money it would cost me to 1- get all the bits and pay someone to build or 2- buy this engine i know is sat built already from someone i know.

From what i understand the actual engine itself is good for well over 1000 bhp dependent on turbo used. But as this comes with a new 4088r it would make a really good street set up with maybe 800bhp?

Pics to follow

Edited by mattysupra
turbo info wrong + updated (see edit history)

yes stock main caps and bolts.

Who makes after market main caps and bolts? i was under the impression that they was the best bet? I presume the block has to be sent off to have them machined to the block then?

How many people have had them fail?

Exactly, who built it, why is it for sale, any warranty etc

No Warranty as not every part is new for one and also all parts not supplied by the builder. Do tuners gives out a warranty on a engine like this then? What about if not supplied parts/ installed / serviced / Mapped by them? ( i can see this being a difficult claim if something did fail)

A top Skyline tuner was involved with the build. They have a couple of well over 1000bhp engines. But i will keep that to myself for time being as dont want someone knowing where the engine is and buying lol

Its not for sale as such. Well not advertised.

PUT IT THIS WAY...... its my cousins engine. I would like it for myself and he has said "find out how much its worth and make me a offer". He dont need to sell it but he dont really have the money to finish the actual car off any time soon. He has the opportunity to invest money in better places and then come back to supra ownership. HENCE im asking what its worth on here.

Bid him £3k - The worst he can say is no. Surely he knows how much he wants for it.

I think the turbo , exhaust manifold, inlet plenum is worth not far of 2.5K ?

If we was to do some maths i would say the parts in the engine are around 2.5K also ?

Then the actual engine and all the bits must be worth 1k ?

Build cost with machine work / gaskets etc maybe £1500 ?

Water / methanol injection + NOS system maybe £1200?

So i would guess £8000 ? would that sound fair? to much or to cheap?

Price the parts up an forget the labour and machine cost. Then you are in the rough ball park.

That's assuming all the parts are new and unused.

The engine probably cost in excess of £4k to build from scratch with labour and machine costs. £3K is a bargain compared to doing it yourself.

As everyone said though make sure you know who built it. You will never get warranty of any value of any engine build. Even from a reputable mechanic. The parts are warranties from the manufacturer, the machining from the engineering company and then the assembly from your builder. Trying to prove who would be at fault come an issue would be next to impossible, unless very obvious.

i get £7200 without including build costs and engineer work.

As this engine has not been run is it fair to remove build costs and engineer work? if i brought teh bits seperate i would still need it put together? i can understand taking money of after it had been used but this is new?

Still i will offer £7200 and see what he thinks.

How much does a Gt4094 turbo unit (re cored) with exhaust manifold and inlet plenum fetch normally?

Titanuim coated? Are you sure? Depends on what brand manifold and plenum I suppose. And its still a used turbo despite the re-core. And you still havent said who built it ;)

So if you know the price of what its worth - Whats the whole point of this thread lol.

?????? i dont know what its worth. Im guessing.

The point in the thread was in the hope that people in the know could say its worth £1k / £5K / £10k etc. I have come up with my price by searching second hand parts on here and some guess work of new parts costs.

I removed build costs and guessed engineer costs as suggested.

So i end up with a guess of £7200.

Im hoping someone will say that is cheap and i know i have a bargain or for someone to say that is to much....... there is a same spec engine here for cheaper.

Titanuim coated? Are you sure? Depends on what brand manifold and plenum I suppose. And its still a used turbo despite the re-core. And you still havent said who built it ;)

i need to speak to the company who built it to make sure they are happy with me saying. It wasnt officially built in there workshop. But it was still built by one of the owners.

Not that i see it matters for the moment, but what i can tell you is there are a well known company with some well over 1000bhp supra / skyline engines along with 7 second drag cars let alone the race back ground.

As for titanuim i think thats what was said. Manifold is a metal blue colour. Not painted but the metal looks like a blue colour.