The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best air and oil filters for service

Guest suprasteven

Guest suprasteven

As the title says really i wanted to know which are the best filters as i am going to service the car in a month!

K&N?

Thanks

Guest suprasteven

Sweet!! thanks for that link Geo

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Lexus v8 oil filter? i know its in the pics but thats from the states so might differ from UK

Does anyone have the part numbers for the Lexus v8 oil filter? i know its in the pics but thats from the states so might differ from UK

I can't link as I'm on my phone, but look through my started threads as I started one about oil filters and I'm sure the part numbers are in there :). I went for the stock filter. It's only about £10 from Toyota.

same part number bud. :D

How does that help?

Using a bigger oil filter increases the volume of oil available to the engine and increases the filtration, i've always used larger oil filters on my Supra. :D

i went with that filter too :)

can i ask why bud?

They most important thing with the air filter is to keep the stock feed and filter box, unless you know how to fit a decent cold air ducting system and heat barrier for an aftermarket non-panel filter. Again, unless you know why you need a K&N or whatever, then you probably don't need it. :) Too many people fit mushroom filters thinking they're better (usually becasue their mates told them that), but they usually result in less power due to the filter pulling in warm air from the engine bay.

I don't trust anyone else more than Toyota to make a decent filter for a supra. I'm guessing they spent more on R&D to find the sweet spot on a Toyota 2JZ engine of non-restrictive flow vs effective filtration than K&N did.

Lexus oil filters have been debated on here before, in particular in this thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?260671-Oil-filter.

Guest suprasteven

Yes oil filters i am ok with all the help is greatly appreciated and i ll be going with the lexus v8 oil filter what i was confused on was the air filter as your right i ve heard its better with a mushroom and i did have one on my cupra which did make a difference i jus wanted to know if it was the same on the supra?? if the stock is better then i ll just replace the filter with a new one!!??

Yes oil filters i am ok with all the help is greatly appreciated and i ll be going with the lexus v8 oil filter what i was confused on was the air filter as your right i ve heard its better with a mushroom and i did have one on my cupra which did make a difference i jus wanted to know if it was the same on the supra?? if the stock is better then i ll just replace the filter with a new one!!??

Stock airbox with a panel filter is much better than an aftermarket filter just in the engine bay (and cheaper, if you still have the stock setup), unless you make a cold air box and feed :)

i ve heard its better with a mushroom and i did have one on my cupra which did make a difference i jus wanted to know if it was the same on the supra?? if the stock is better then i ll just replace the filter with a new one!!??

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the HKS mushroom filter is (usually) a 200mm round filter that's bent into the mushroom shape by the guard, which means that not only is it exposed to heat in the engine bay but it is actually smaller than the stock JZA80 panel filter area wise, this is probably why the 300ZX HKS kit uses two of them.