The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost of buying, painting and fitting bodykit?

Big Mark

Hoping to get back behind the wheel of a Supra very soon and have my eye one that is very tidy but the bodywork is totally stock.

So I'd like to fit a Trial Rear Bumper, Genuine OEM Plastic Side-skirts and a Polyurethane Front Lip.

I realise I'd save myself some money if I were to find used parts so will be on the lookout when I finally purchase a car. But in case I am not able to where is the best place to purchase them from, especially the Trial Rear as it appears many don't fit that great straight out of the box.

Anyone have a rough idea of the total cost buying, spraying and fitting these parts? (I've fitted the front lip before so might be tempted to fit them all to save some money)

Would prob depend on the colour, and fitment of the parts. I would pm either Rob Mitchell or Baldy (Simon) for a quote. Both do really good work and are very reputable. Whatever you do though don't use knight racer.

Thanks for the info. I too have heard the Knight Racer horror stories. Hence why I'm curious as to where to get a good fitting Trial Rear.

It isnt cheap mate, most kits, even top end ones dont fit straight out of the box, the only stuff i have come across that simply bolts on and looks right is genuine Do-Luck. If you can, i would hold on and buy second-hand, they will have gone through the ordeal of having the bumper cut and shaped to bolt on, it may be cheaper too. I would ask Mitchell where he gets his bodykits from, he seems to purchase some for customers.

I am aware of MONSTERMODS doing some good stuff, link ; http://www.madmotors.co.uk/bodykits-spoilers-14000/body-kits/toyota/toyota-supra/toyota-supra-93.html

It isnt cheap mate, most kits, even top end ones dont fit straight out of the box, the only stuff i have come across that simply bolts on and looks right is genuine Do-Luck. If you can, i would hold on and buy second-hand, they will have gone through the ordeal of having the bumper cut and shaped to bolt on, it may be cheaper too. I would ask Mitchell where he gets his bodykits from, he seems to purchase some for customers.

I am aware of MONSTERMODS doing some good stuff, link ; http://www.madmotors.co.uk/bodykits-spoilers-14000/body-kits/toyota/toyota-supra/toyota-supra-93.html

It's the trial rear that concerns me. Think I'll start scouring the 'For Sale' section from now on to see if I can find used skirts and rear bumper. I have a mate that is handy with a spray gun so as long as the parts are a good fit I might be able to just get away with the purchase cost, paint and a couple of Domino's pizzas, so good used parts are definitely my best choice.

Are the oem skirts easy to fit? Looking for a fitting guide on here but not found one yet.

The car I'm looking at has perfect paintwork so I wouldn't be needing a full respray. I was guessing I would be looking at £1k for the kit, painting and fitting if I bought it all new and didn't do any of the work myself.

Just a full respray, including all shuts and engine bay you're looking at upwards of £3k mate. Plus a decent kit all round add at leat another £1k I reckon. So £4k plus.

So where can I get a good Trial Rear from? IO'm really tempted to just wait for a used one to come up for sale as at least then it should go straight on, especially if I see it on previous owners car before removal.

I bet these ones fit rather well. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/mkiv-discussion/66341-carbon-fibre-hybrid-trial-jza80-rear-bar-do-you-want-one-off-chance.html

So where can I get a good Trial Rear from? IO'm really tempted to just wait for a used one to come up for sale as at least then it should go straight on, especially if I see it on previous owners car before removal.

I bet these ones fit rather well. http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/mkiv-discussion/66341-carbon-fibre-hybrid-trial-jza80-rear-bar-do-you-want-one-off-chance.html

Carbon fibre trial rears look awesome.

I would have to say unless you have a reasonable amount of experience doing bodywork/painting etc, then fitting and painting a kit yourself will be a rather fraught experience, and you may not end up with the result you want.

First off what colour is your car? matching paint colours is not easy with some, as paint ages and changes in shade over time and exposure to UV, and as said most kits will require a fair bit of fettling and adjustment, as in lots of trial fitting and adding and removing fiberglass to get it right, including the likelihood of having to remake your own mounting points.

Cost wise, you best option would be too buy a Trial rear second hand, that way the work would have already been done for you, they don't come up for sale all that often though so i'm not sure how practical it would be. If you've never done any bodywork before then i would suggest taking it to a bodyshop, but give the spraying ago yourself on the lip and skirts, worst case scenario it doesn't look good and you have to rub it down and take it too a professional. Not the end of the world. The skirts you will be able to fit yourself if they're genuines, its a 5min job, you'd probably be able to bond/attach the front lip youself as well without too much hassle. My old front lip just had a couple of bolts and some small tie wraps and it looked and fitted very well.

The car I have my eye on is silver.

I've fitted a Fibre glass front lip (same style as what I want) before and that was a piece of cake, sounds like the side skirts are a piece of cake too so the only issue is going to be the rear I reckon.

I'll post in the wanted section a bit later and see if I can get a second hand trial rear and genuine oem skirts.

Regarding side skirts, I've seen a lot of cars where the bottom of the door touches the top of the skirt and leaves a mark, is this just the weight of the door and age causing it to drop a fraction or poor fibre glass skirts being too thick? Either way I will only be fitting genuine plastic skirts.

Trying to match a colour thats 10 + years old is impossible to do unless you have a paint scheme

and even then its still not that easy.

Thats why paintshops blend into the surrounding panels to make it less obvious theres a miss match

Get a pro to paint the kit would be my advice

£1k for a decent kit and to get it fitted and sprayed is in dreamland I think mate. As Dnk says ^^^^^ the paint will be hard to match due to age also.

The kit alone for decent parts you are looking toward £1k on its own, unless you can get good second hand parts. Plus with, fitting probably pushing £1.5k.

You may get lucky with the silver however, as I had a bumper sprayed off the car in 199 silver, and it was a near perfect match on a 94 Jspec. Depends on how well the car has been looked after, garaged etc.

Is it 199 silver? My old one was a 93 plate, and the colour hadn't seemed to have faded at all. I did a small repair on the front bumper with a can of 199 silver from Halfords and the colour match was perfect, you would never have noticed there was a mark there after i'd finished. Not sure whether i was just lucky or the silver doesn't fade much, but it's food for thought.

I've not actually got the car yet but am sure it is 199 silver.

I'm not too worried about the painting really. I have one mate that does a bit of spraying from time and I know a full time sprayer if I really need to use him. It's just sourcing the parts and making that rear bumper fit that I need to concentrate on.

Is it 199 silver? My old one was a 93 plate, and the colour hadn't seemed to have faded at all. I did a small repair on the front bumper with a can of 199 silver from Halfords and the colour match was perfect, you would never have noticed there was a mark there after i'd finished. Not sure whether i was just lucky or the silver doesn't fade much, but it's food for thought.