The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Rear Spats Ideas Please

Noz

I currently have veilside rear spats. When drifting (or attempting to do so) a tyre came apart and damaged the driver side spat. Now needing repair, I had a few ideas to try something different during the respray. I want to bring the spats down lower, making them wrap around more in the same way the trail rear bumper comes down further, bringing them closer into the wheel but keeping the typical shapes and lines.

Any ideas on custom spats, or different designs would be great. As I'm unsure where to start, where to go, or if this is even the right concept.

Either way I need to respray my spats, so making them slightly different would be great.

Anyone have any ideas?

Blend isnt an option. trial blended looks nice but a stock bumper with spats blended doesnt. Trial and error seems to be the way forward. if i log dimensions i should get a good equal pair.

Listy making a whole mould seems pretty extreme. i reckon i could modify the fibreglass without adding too much weight.

So, should be finishing my clock gauge pod today as I have time to pop in and get some paint. So while I'm also collecting parts to make a fresh pillar pod and materials to fix mine up, thought I would look into this further.

Apart from bringing the veilside spats down further, I think it would look if they hug the wheel more. Between the spat and the wheel there is a huge amount of room, the trial rear looks nice as it begins to hug around the wheel so I think moving the spat towards the wheel is also an idea. I won't ever be going with 19's, though I will definitely go with wider wheels so this shouldn't be a problem.

Looking a bit quiet on the custom spat suggestions, I take it people just buy them, paint them and fit them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My car's currently in bits getting stuff cleaned up, she's been a rough'en for too long!

While back bumpers off, spats need repair from damage from a tyre. So I thought I'd get it all sprayed at the same time. So the spats are being extended. The plastic extensions have been fibreglassed on now and don't look too bad from the back. I'll get some more recent photos later.

Copy of 20120722_183134.jpg