The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Battery Terminal advice

ellis

Howdy

I've just replaced my very dead battery with a newie and another of the small problems that raised its head obver the weekend was a very poor battery terminal.

Does anyone have a recommended source for these and is it correct that I need 25mm versions? Have fitted another HCB005 from Halfords so need them to fit that.

Cheers in advance.

Cheers Steve - had a ganders there.

This is a pic of the positive terminal - anyone any clues as to what this one is called (style-wise)?

Picked up 2 universals yesterday and the positive one is no good for mine at all!

Are they the smaller diameter, round ones? I think you need the 'Japanese type' connectors if that's the case. I'd measure up and then give those guys a call to check. :)

I think this is what bought for my first JSpec Supra. Refs from that website are BTJP (+ve) and BTJN (-ve).

Yep - totally fubared - it's hanging on by prayer only!

Depending on how tight a stretch it is, it might be worth extending the power cables slightly. IIRC the same supplier does battery cable in whatever length you want and mahoosive insulated block-connector type things for battery cables (i.e. designed for this purpose).

Of course you could just replace the connectors to work with 'UK' batteries and have a wider choice of options next time the battery needs doing. Maybe those adaptors would work in the interim?

You could try removing the clamp, taking the bolt out, and running a hacksaw with two blades down the slit.

..Of course you could just replace the connectors to work with 'UK' batteries and have a wider choice of options next time the battery needs doing. Maybe those adaptors would work in the interim?
The Halfords battery has "UK" terminals, doesn't it? Is the "Japanese" clamp too big or too small for UK terminals? Edited by garethr (see edit history)

The Halfords battery has "UK" terminals, doesn't it? Is the "Japanese" clamp too big or too small for UK terminals?

The terminals on the battery that came over from Japan in my first Supra were much smaller (diameter) than regular batteries. I think Halfords sell "Japanese" style batteries and UK batteries?

Terminal, battery positive

90982‑05036 (05/1995 - 07/1999)

90982‑05037 (05/1993 - 04/1995)

Could you make one of these work?

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/battconns/photo/02100.jpg

eBay or http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/battconns/battclamps.php

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Ended up buying the 'proper' one from Toyota in the end - part number (just in case anybody wants/needs one as there are 2 types - one for smaller Japanese terminals, and the right one for us lot) which is: 09082-05037. Total cost (including VAT and not phoning me as promised to let me know it was in) was £20.31 - yes, I coughed as well!!!

Anyway, perfect fit, job done, car lives (at least slightly until the new radiator arrives Monday - thank you Mr Wilson!)