The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Questions about going single

marc_p

Ok, after Dragonball I am now going single, the car has a missfire on high boost which appears to be the coilpacks (plugs and clips are fine) so I am ordering the SuperSpark coil packs from MVP, however, I'm going to take the plunge and order a single kit at the same time.

I'm going to go with the BoostLogic Stage 1 67mm turbo with .68 A/R, found here:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=211&SearchYN=N

So my qustions are, what further will be needed to run this, so far all I can think of is:

-Swap my Walbro for the Bosch fuel pump

-Get larger injectors (650cc ok?)

-Already have large FMIC

-Standalone ECU(probably be going Syvecs here unless someone has an unwanted Apexi ECU)

So is there anything else I need to take into consideration here?

Thanks

Marc

You had problems with yours James, mine have been perfect so far

The reports from the US are that they aren't lasting over 10k miles, and especially at higher boost (25+ psi). Whereas OEM Toyota can last 10+ years, and do 1000+ hp, so to me it's a no-brainer irrespective of cost.

Yep. How many times this has been covered in the past.

you could of used the search button before posting the thread, its a great little tool with loads of helpful info.

School boy error...! 'SEARCH'....!

Erm, I tried searching for others who have bought that kit but as I can't search for 'boost logic T67', only 'boost logic', a huge amount of threads come up, I spent about half an hour going through them but I needed some further info, hence this thread.

There has been a bit of disappointment on the US forums about the longevity of the Supersparks. I'd either get brand new Toyota ones, or upgrade to the LS2 coils.

100% agree - OEM would be my choice

Really? That's interesting to know, thanks guys, I may look further into this.

LOADS!!!!!!!!!!!

What power gains do you want?

What is your current setup/mods?

Looking for around 550-600bhp with a quick spool, currently have most BPU mods, but obviously most would get replaced with the kit giving larger decat pipes and Syvecs taking over the boost controller, FCD, SLD, etc. Fuel pump will get replaced as the Walbro won't keep up.

Clutch ? Oil cooler? New Oil and water pump maybe ? belts, crank pulley ?

Clutch and flywheel are already uprated and the belts and crank pulley have been replaced recently.

Hadn't thought about the oil cooler, didn't know if one of these would really be required.

Will add the new pumps to the list though :)

i have a t67 .68ar bb and they can easy make 500-600 bhp , mine made 524 bhp 510lb @ 1.3bar all on my walbro 255 and 650 injectors.

loojk here for spool rate of diferent turbos dont look at the power as its a forged engine but it does show how turbos make a difference to power delivery,http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267541-single-turbo-62-64-67-71-compaired-results

mine feels like not much happens till 4000 but then its all power by 4500, i have a auto and think a t62 would have been better for my car for lower down power, the t67 is safer running low boost so im happy

I think you've got most of it covered for a simple single conversion. You only really need an oil cooler if the car is going to see some track use or some really heavy road driving. You'll have to sort a breather system for the exhaust cam cover, this can just be a length of suitable hose and a small filter on the end exiting under the car.

I wouldn't bother with too many gauges if any, by the time you notice somethings up the engine will have probably have gone pop! A good ECU will fully protect your engine anyway. The main thing id say gauges are for is fault finding when something doesn't feel right.

i have a t67 .68ar bb and they can easy make 500-600 bhp , mine made 524 bhp 510lb @ 1.3bar all on my walbro 255 and 650 injectors.

loojk here for spool rate of diferent turbos dont look at the power as its a forged engine but it does show how turbos make a difference to power delivery,http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267541-single-turbo-62-64-67-71-compaired-results

mine feels like not much happens till 4000 but then its all power by 4500, i have a auto and think a t62 would have been better for my car for lower down power, the t67 is safer running low boost so im happy

Thanks for the link, good to see a comparision. Like you, I want the 67mm so I'm not pushing the turbo to it's limits, is yours dual BB?

You'll also have to budget for various guages you'll need if you dont have them already, EGT and AFR guage are two most reccommended. Fuel rail if you can't get hold of drop in injectors.

Drop in's are fairly easy to get hold of, you can get the Blitz 850cc ones from MVP, however, I think they will be too large, I'll be wanting aroud 700cc. Also, as Carl says below, if you go Syvecs then this will have the ability to put the car into limp mode if it senses anything about to fail or reading way off the mark. I'll get an AEM AFR gauge though.

Wondered how long after DB I would see this thread, especially after seeing this:

:D

Ha, yeah, still made Burna look slow though :D

Cams would be a nice upgrade but not something you have to have, inc comparison to mellonmans setup I made 585hp at 1.3 bar with 264 cams and a 6765.

main reason why I was thinking of keeping it on stock cams is that TRD-Rob's seemed to run really smooth with the stock cams still in it.

I think you've got most of it covered for a simple single conversion. You only really need an oil cooler if the car is going to see some track use or some really heavy road driving. You'll have to sort a breather system for the exhaust cam cover, this can just be a length of suitable hose and a small filter on the end exiting under the car.

I wouldn't bother with too many gauges if any, by the time you notice somethings up the engine will have probably have gone pop! A good ECU will fully protect your engine anyway. The main thing id say gauges are for is fault finding when something doesn't feel right.

Cheers for the input there, appreciated :)

As everyone's said stick with the stock coilpacks. Can't beat them until your well into 4 digit HP.

If you go bigger injectors (850) it will just give you more headway and save you paying twice for when you want more power! ;)