The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jamesy's Do Luck Supra at Invisible Touch Detailing

Stonkin

Here we have Jamesy's writeup for his newely acquired Do Luck Supra!

The car was booked in for a Stage 1 paint enhancement, so not all defects will be removed in this process. As a general rule original Supra paint is quite soft, as this car has been fully painted it was a little unknown what the paint hardness would be like. I can tell you now, that its much harder :)

So, taking a walk around the car lets see what weve got...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting off, the tyres were cleaned with All Purpose Cleaner

Wheels with Bilberry, which is safe for all types of alloys, including chrome

Calipers also cleaned with APC

All door, boot, fuel shuts, window trim, lights and scuttle panel cleaned with APC

The car was then jetwashed, snowfoamed, rinsed off after 5 mins and washed using Shampoo Plus, leaving this

Being a mild day outside, the car was clayed using Last Touch as lube to remove bonded contamination washing would not remove

The rear number plate was cleaned with Tar & Glue to remove the residue from a previous plate applied over the top

After being washed again the car was taken inside to be dried and inspected, lots of swirls and faded paint was now very apparent

Paint thickness readings were taken. Obviously being painted the levels were noticeably higher than you would expect for original paint

I chose to use Meguiars M205 polish, a 3M polishing pad and backing plate and the Makita rotary. Each panel required 2 hits of this process to achieve the results i wanted the car to leave with for a stage 1 treatment. The defects remaining would require a step up in compound to remove, which would need a stage 2 correction treatment. As the defects that remained had the edges taken off them during the process applied here, this hugely changes the way natural light hits them, and as you will see as the car develops, this will still leave an exquisite finish to the vehicle

Starting on the front wing

Moving onto the door

The rear wing

The blades of the carbon spoiler had to be removed to allow the machine full access

Moving round to the other side

Onto the passenger door

Polished side under LED light

Unpolished side

Passenger front wing had some lovely defects clearly visible

Round to the bonnet and then front bumper

Then the A pillars and roof

The carbon spoiler was also machined

Once all polishing was complete, and all panels had been IPA'd to remove polishing oils, out came the box of Do Luck stickers to return the original graphics the car was known for. Each sticker location was carefully checked to its original place

The glass was then cleaned using 3M Glass Cleaner

The exhaust was polished inside and out

Swissvax Cleaner Fluid was then applied by hand to the paint to prepare it for the wax application

The chosen wax, was Swissvax Best of Show. Applied in a thin layer and buffed off after 15 mins

The wheels, although really requiring a refurb, were polished up with NXT, ipa'd and sealed with Poorboys. Tyres were dressed with Endurance Gel

The boot was hoovered and everything cleaned with APC

The interior was hoovered and dusted down

These were the final pictures after window seals and scuttle panel treated with Bumper Care

When he came, we both applied the Do Luck sunstrip, as best we could :) This wasnt an easy task!

These were the final pictures as the car was pulled outside to leave

It was a great pleasure, to work on the Do Luck Supra, and for Jamesy. He's a fantastic guy that will do the car proud, for us all to appreciate back in UK events.

Thanks for reading,

Christian

Cheers guys :thumbs: Abz's will be up shortly to, just need to sort through a load more pics :)

This is making me want to have it done even more, BUT is there any point in me having it done due to the fact my car is left outside all the time and the roads round my way are terrible, how long does this usually last before it goes back to how it was ? i need to get a few things sorted on my car first then im hoping to have this done :D

This is making me want to have it done even more, BUT is there any point in me having it done due to the fact my car is left outside all the time and the roads round my way are terrible, how long does this usually last before it goes back to how it was ? i need to get a few things sorted on my car first then im hoping to have this done :D

There is always a reason for having this done, whether your car is kept outside or not. As you can see, it makes a huge difference to the vehicles appearance, will be far easier to maintain and helps retain the vehicles resale value. If your car is used regularly and not just a garage queen i would expect this to be a yearly to 18 month service. The quality of the finish will last however, as long as you are prepared to put in the time to maintain it and there are a lot of simple steps and product choices to make that much easier.