The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is my Supra a write off?

Andrew

Long story short.

Motorway, pissed bloke, rammed into the side of me, both pulled over with a witness, witness comfirms guy is pissed and was recklessly undertaking at speed and rammed me, call police, bloke does a runner, drives off with the front of his car missing, fluids and steam pissing out, and bits falling off.

Traffic investigation now underway, and police trying to find him.

Copper says nothing they can do unless they catch him pissed at the wheel.

Love this country.

Anyway here's the damage, any hope for my baby?

What you can't see in the picture is the fact that the central part on the roof of the car has a crease in it. Police reckoned there will be structural damage.

Also car won't start now, is there fuelines or wires that run down that side of the car?

dsc00003.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind offer mate :)

If his number checks out and they visit his address, they will surely have to do him for leaving the scene of an accident.

He was a very well spoken middle aged guy. Still that doesn't mean jack I guess.

This guy could have easily have killed someone, and still could have after he drove off leaving me to pick up the pieces.

Cops were helpful, I just felt I was talking to a couple of traffic wardens. Sorry mate we have no power to stop these people, let me write down your details and you can be on your way.

Thats a real p*sser andrew, and I'm pretty sure its dead.

Creased roof means bent chassis.

Jake, I don't think thats necessarly true, if the crease is longitudinal (front to back) IMO its probably because the 'B' pillar is pushed in and not the chassis, however this does not make the car any more economically repairable I'm sad to say.:(

If they trace him through the registration, at least you and your witness will be able to ID him, so he won't be able to claim he wasn't driving.

They may not be able to prove D&D, but he could still get done for reckless/dangerous driving, and leaving the scene etc. You will probably have to get your insurance company to push for this though, if the police seem reluctant.

I hope he is insured, and that your car can be repaired:thumbs:

Originally posted by Lazarus

Jake, I don't think thats necessarly true, if the crease is longitudinal (front to back) IMO its probably because the 'B' pillar is pushed in and not the chassis

Good point. I didn't think of a longitudinal crease. I've seen a few with transverse roof creases and they were all written off.

(Many years ago)I was present when the insurance assor came to view a car. As soon as he saw the roof crease he didn't bother with anything else, just made a "no point looking any further" type comment.

As soon as he saw the roof crease he didn't bother with anything else, just made a "no point looking any further" type comment.

Unfortunately thats probably what he will say this time, but this does not mean the car can't be repaired, it just means the insurance company won't pay for it.

It depends on how attached to your car that you are, but there's always the buy back option if they allow it, then get it repaired yourself.

The thought that has been going through my mind is, is it worth having back? I am attached to the car and it's been problem free for 3 years. It was in great condition, low miles etc. But it's never going to be the same in my eyes.

Will I get the cash to buy one similar? Doubt it. I can see myself being well out of pocket because of this pissed c*** :mad:

Thanks for the replies though, it's good therapy :thumbs:

they've got his registration, right? So why aren't they at his house waiting for him?

And you have a witness to say he hit you, and presumably his car shows that it had hit you.

So whether he is able to get out of the drink driving side of it or not, he certainly shouldn't be able to get out of causing the accident.

If someone does that to me and looks like they're about to do a runner, I'll be sure to punch the c*nt. Or nick his keys or something.

I hope you get everything sorted out mate.

The thought that has been going through my mind is, is it worth having back? I am attached to the car and it's been problem free for 3 years. It was in great condition, low miles etc. But it's never going to be the same in my eyes.

Mate, you've got to ask yourself some serious questions like:-

How long would you have kept this car?

If you only intended to keep it a few years and then move on it probably isn't worth hanging onto, let the insurance company take it away and try to find a replacement. If you intended to keep the car for a long time (like me and mine) I would seriously try to get it repaired, there are bodyshops out there that can do repairs of that magnitude and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from new (unfortunately there are others that can't, you just have to be carefull which one you chose).

Is the resale value important to you?

Again, if you intended to move on in the near future anyway then let it go because if it gets recorded as a repaired write-off it will have a knock-on effect on the resale value.

Can you use this as an opportunity to do something else with the car?

ie: If it has to go in to a bodyshop for work anyway why not do some mods (but this leads to slippery slope syndrome

:D )

Personally, I would keep the car and repair it but I'm not you and you probably have different views and circumstances.

I hope I haven't been teaching you to suck eggs, just trying to be constructive at this time for you. :)

Some valid points mate.

I've had Supras for 6 years now, this one for 3 years, and yes I'd love to keep it. Idea was I would run it into the ground then get another one.

I'll just have to see what my options are, and whether I get paided out or how much I get if it is a write off.

Getting a little bit stressed now :mad:

Car has been off the road for a week, the insurers (Admiral) cannot decide whether to write it off, the garage it went to, which is a garage attached to the insurers also cannot decide if it's a write off. So they have called in another independent technician to look the car over, should have a result tomorrow they say.

Now here's the piss take, I still haven't been given a curtsey car, which on my policy states I get one in 24 hours if the car is repairable. So because my car is in limbo while they piss about trying to decide what to do I am not entitled to one.

So I ring their legal people to see if I can hire a car and claim it back from the third party.

This is where I get really pissed off, they say the accident is a little sketchy and they

Can’t tell who’s to blame. When I asked have you seen my statement I wrote? They replied no, and had they traced the pissed bloke yet that hit my car, they replied no???? So I ask what statement they have?

Turns out it’s the one I gave over the phone, I told them whoever wrote it down has obviously got it wrong then. I told them I was already in the drunks lane when he hit me, they (Admiral) even spoke to the witness and he says the same, and that any sober person would have plenty of time to see me, but he plowed into me.

In case anyone is wondering why I was changing lanes, it was to get on the hard shoulder, as prior to that I had a loss of power to the engine (This I now know was a lose battery connector), power regained so I made my way over to the hard shoulder to see what the problem was.

She then says, “Oh, says here the guy had been done for drink driving before.” I duly pointed out that he was actually pissed whilst driving and fucked off without giving details etc, “Oh doesn’t say that here.”

I have a sneaky feeling they are having trouble tracing this guy and are now trying to cut their loses. Maybe they know from past experiences with DDs and hit and run they always lose out, and try to portion blame onto the insured driver, i.e. me.

So anyway they are still arsing about with my claim/car, so I decide to ring the Police incident number to see how they are getting on. And yep after a week they still haven’t bothered yet!!!

Fuckin amazes me why I bother being legal.

God help the next pissed driver that runs into me, because be it my fault or not I’m going to knock the c*** out .