The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Custom Clock Gauge Pod

Noz

So... I needed yet another gauge, one I probably should of got when I went NA-T anyway. But we live and learn so here my AFR gauge needs a new home somewhere.

The clock looks a bit naff in the pre-facelift, so thought I'd put a gauge here like many of you already do.

Wanted something a bit different, so thought I'd mount the gauge slightly out of the dash, and have it turned towards the driver slightly.

I think I've mounted it too far from the dash. With the gauge in the pod, it seems to sit a fair way out. I think I will sand it down to sit slightly lower. I think as it is, it might look a bit in your face due to the extra length the face of the gauge will add.

After making the hole oval shaped, I had to remove the back of the pod holder. Then position the pod, easy job really. Took me about half an hour. Time consuming bit will definitely be tidying it up making the finish nice.

Think I'll remove some material later, and see how it suits the dash.

On the front ive used just standard car filler mate. It gets a bit pourus so needed to clean up the finish and fill the holes afterwards. Filler primer and some 1200 grit paper helps finish off the top sutface tillyou get a real decent finish.

What you thinking of making :-)

The stock gauges? or aftermarket. cuz that would take forever. ive probably too many..but on an na-t you cant ever be too sure. your pushing limitations. maybe i should get a few more... just in case! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. It's not 100%, there are a few imperfections that I'm not happy with. Probably me being over the top but hard to see them from photos so here are the ones I've taken. I'll grab the pod mounted and wired in soon enough. Will probably paint the gauge bezel if it looks out of place. Think it turned out ok.

Also smoothed the sig lighter surround, looked a bit gash with the stock ring that's moulded in.

Thanks for a nice comments guys, I'm hoping it doesn't look OTT when it's all installed.

I might do another gauge moulded in on the other side near the mirror controls and sell it just for something random to make.

Thanks guys, the finish on the filler took some time. Really enjoying getting back into making things now Uni has died down for a bit.

I've got 7 when I install this one. It's a fair few, but I'd rather have that peace of mind. I'm only installing an AFR due to having fueling issues, which to be honst I should have done when I went NA-T.

David P has 6 just in his upper glove box for his supercharger build. Better to have too many gauges than not enough if your ECU doesn't log as much as you want it to. Plus gives me something to build :)

Nice work.:)

Thanks dude :thumbs:

Fitted the gauge up today. Still seems a bit far. The fact the gloss bezel catchs reflection makes it stick out more I think. I've reduced the depth of the bezel to help lower the gauge into the dash a few mm. I've also prepared it and sprayed it with primer ready for a matt black. I think it a more suttle look will suit it better being less shouty.

More progress tomorrow hopefully, get it sprayed and see how it looks.

This small idea has actually turned into a fair amount of faffing about to get it looking neat.

Spraying the AEM gauge bezel was definitely a good idea. The gloss black finish made the whole thing look a bit gash. Having reduced the depth of the bezel, the gauge does have a slight bit of contact with the bezel threads now, so I'll need to take them back slightly as well to get a nice flush finish. It's not sat square either but that's because it's just loosely sat in the pod.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...