The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What car does the R154 Gearbox come from ????

little num

the 154 was fitted the the 7mgte cars and the later 1jzgte cars, the 7mge used an early w58. if you can get a 154 from a soerer of chaser it will be dropin fit with the shifter in correct place on thecorrect mount .

if you get a mk3 box from a 1jz it will mate straight up but the mounting bracket will beed playing with and a shifter exstension is needed.

a 7m box will also need a jz bell

Guest JohnSupra1
the 154 was fitted the the 7mgte cars and the later 1jzgte cars, the 7mge used an early w58. if you can get a 154 from a soerer of chaser it will be dropin fit with the shifter in correct place on thecorrect mount .

if you get a mk3 box from a 1jz it will mate straight up but the mounting bracket will beed playing with and a shifter exstension is needed.

a 7m box will also need a jz bell

Correct and there is one forsale on ebay bidding from £100

Im going to buy that kit from france but thinking ill get a complete MK3 turbo manual and scrap the car and keep the box as a spare JUST incase i break mine.

buying a box alone is too much but a whole car can be found for 500 and buy the time ive wieghted it in and scraped the alloys box should cast me £200 if that.

• 7 months later...

Hello guys,

Sorry for bumping up an old thread but this came up in the search and thought I would reply rather than start a new thread.

I have spotted a mk3 supra fitted with the R154 gearbox which I am considering buying purely for the conversion parts.

Will the R154 from the MK3 (7M-GTE from a 1990) fit a MK4?

If not what will it need to fit?

Thanks

I will do, this came up from my intitial search, Ill keep going.

I am not sure if what I am reading above means that the gearbox i have found will need fiddling with the bell housing and the gear selector to get it to fit.

Thats right ash, it just got me thinking really but after having a search I found this...

I have just cut a hole for now, this is do-able in my drift car because Im not really running any centre console round the gear stick at the moment.

I have a chap in Milton Keynes that can extend anyones 154 shifter to fit the MKIV for £175, you send him your bits with a self addressed envelope with the extact measurement you want it extended by and he'll do it and post it all back for you ;)

But to re-cap you'll need:

R154 gearbox

R154 to 1/2j bellhousing

R154 slave

R154 clutch and flywheel

Front half of R154 prop

Rear half of 2j prop

Then you'll need to get the 2 props cut and shut.

You'll also need to make a new gearbox mount for the R154.

Then extend the gearshift.

That was from 2010, in the thread (11 pages long) it seems that not a lot of people was running the R154 in the MKIV, not sure if any there are more now nearly 3 years later.

The R154 iirc is good for around 500ftlbs torque, so a small single will be fine with it.

It's what I'm looking at getting when I go single, as I'm only after 500-550hp and around 450-500ftlb torque.

Plus, an R154 is pennies compared to a getrag, so I could buy a few and if one breaks, just drop another in :)

The R154 iirc is good for around 500ftlbs torque, so a small single will be fine with it.

It's what I'm looking at getting when I go single, as I'm only after 500-550hp and around 450-500ftlb torque.

Plus, an R154 is pennies compared to a getrag, so I could buy a few and if one breaks, just drop another in :)

They'll handle closer to 700hp.