The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clunking following gear changes, turning and under load - diff?

James

Got in the car this evening and when I changed from 1st to 2nd I had a pretty hefty clunk/thud at the rear end. It was then happening when the car was just driving along and I changed throttle position and also when turning at junctions. :(

I didn't use it for long (a mile or 2) and so haven't had a chance to jack it up and assess anything.

Would it be an issue with the diff or with joints of some sort?

How much is a 2nd hand A01B 4.083 LSD to buy and is it an easy job to change?

The car has been going good for the last while too, typical something happens now! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

It is the first time it has happened in 3 years of owning the car and it isn't just a noise, there is a big judder when it happens. Can definitely feel it! That is why I'm quite concerned!

I feel a bump too. If the handbrake's off, the car moves slightly too. Weird that it's just started, though.

Check the calipers to make sure their not seizing would be the first thing i'd look at as this is now

a common problem especially with the smaller j spec brakes as they have a sliding caliper set up

in which the pins the caliper moves on seize up along with the pistons seizing if the outer seals

have failed.

Then i'd check the cv joints on the drive shafts and also the diff and propshaft while your at it.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Check the calipers to make sure their not seizing would be the first thing i'd look at as this is now

a common problem especially with the smaller j spec brakes as they have a sliding caliper set up

in which the pins the caliper moves on seize up along with the pistons seizing if the outer seals

have failed.

Then i'd check the cv joints on the drive shafts and also the diff and propshaft while your at it.

I only recently - less than a year - fitted some UK specs but I shall check in case they are seizing. It doesn't seem to pull to one side nor am I restricted in motion.

Yeah I'll have to check the rest too! Knowing my luck it will be whichever part is most expensive!

Sub frame?

I checked these about 2 months ago and all was ok, I suppose best to again!

Ok it's definitely the diff because it is now knackered completely and won't move unless the wheels are completely straight and even then it hops over what I assume is a/many broken tooth/teeth. :(

How much is an A01B LSD and how easy/hard are they to fit? :(