The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really Custom Dials?

a98pmalcolm

Seeing as theres not alot to do on my day off I have been pondering on this idea.

I have done electics on the supra and my other cars for years and I'm not and as knowledgeable as most of you lot are. BUT I wonder possiable it is to fit say Lamborghini clocks into the Supras wiring loom? Before I bought the supra I had a Corrado G60 and a mod that wasn't cheap but people liked was to fit the Audi TT dash in a Corrado.

Maybe with finding out what wire does what from the Supra loom to the Lamborghini dials loom and wiring them up it would make the clocks from the lambo work?

Just a thought :)

A quick photo shop

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/1793/newdash.jpg

It looks like you drive a spaceship. Lights and buttons everywhere.

Edit: A couple of years ago I hired a Jap car when on holiday in America. It had quite funky dials. Might it be sensible to try go for Jap made dials on the assumption that they would be more likely to be compatible compared to Italian dials?

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

I reckon you'll have big problems, the tech behind the supra dials is old, on a lambo, I wouldnt be supprised if it used a CAN bus, or some sort of computer network. As an example, my discovery has a CAN bus and a fiber-optic network that drives the whole system, so all the ECU's talk to each other etc.. its a nightmare!

but I guess you could get some sort, or build an interface ;)

A couple of years ago I hired a Jap car when on holiday in America. It had quite funky dials. Might it be sensible to try go for Jap made dials on the assumption that they would be more likely to be compatible compared to Italian dials?

LFA dials????

lol Karolina my photoshop job or the idea? Iits just an idea more of what possibilities can be done, doesn't have to be lambo dials just something different in general. Like what Porky said LFA dials maybe..

Thanks for the input Heckler your that man that would know best to be honest...

lol Karolina my photoshop job or the idea? Iits just an idea more of what possibilities can be done, doesn't have to be lambo dials just something different in general. Like what Porky said LFA dials maybe..

Thanks for the input Heckler your that man that would know best to be honest...

i susspect the LFA would be the same. :D I like your thinking though

I reckon you'll have big problems, the tech behind the supra dials is old, on a lambo, I wouldnt be supprised if it used a CAN bus, or some sort of computer network. As an example, my discovery has a CAN bus and a fiber-optic network that drives the whole system, so all the ECU's talk to each other etc.. its a nightmare!

but I guess you could get some sort, or build an interface ;)

If he's on a Syvecs ECU, with CAN interface, I'm guessing the ECU could drive the dials, if the outputs/frames/etc were known?

why not simply .......

Nothing is ever THAT simple as well I know ;)

I had these made yonks ago and recently I found they fit perfectly in the air vents on the supra dash, lol :)

http://www.nod-land.co.uk/assets/images/Gauge%20Front1.jpg

http://www.nod-land.co.uk/assets/images/Gauge%20Front2.jpg

Now the 160 x 128 OLED TFT fits this unit with a little bit of a fettle to the front window aperture. I'm also thinking of making one the replaces the clock with a smaller 128x128 TFT display unit to complement the DASH clock conversion.

Imagine 6 full colour TFT displays in your car :D

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

lol Karolina my photoshop job or the idea? Iits just an idea more of what possibilities can be done, doesn't have to be lambo dials just something different in general. Like what Porky said LFA dials maybe.

I don't think that even a good magician will make them look better. I think that changing colour or adding a bit of a body kit is improving appearance of the Supra but such thing like dials you put...that's just not the way forward its definitely a step back in time. If you looking for something different well maybe its time for changing Supra for something different ? ;)

lol cheers tkddav3. I think if a conversion was possible it would me a high requested thing. Was an idea I had today to see if people would think something like this would be possible..

With the syvecs ECU like Johnny said there is a possibility something may work