The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rusty Diff - Any issue to use?

Samurai 20V

If you do get it , here is what oil Carbonectic Japan told me to use

All you need is GL-5 85W-90 oil for your LSD.

If you cannot find that, the following will be suitable for the LSD;

used Brand Name products name Viscosity

FR BP X9140S 80W-140

FF BP X9118S 75W-90

FR/FF NUTEC UW76 75W-140

FF ADVANTAG NEO Hi proof shock

FR ADVANTAG NEO RHD 75W-90

FR/MR A.S.H 250R 85W-140

FF/FR TOTAL PRO-R 75W-140

This is the metal series, it should not need such frequent changes?

I dont have a clue, all I know is mine starts getting a little noisy and clunky after about 2500 miles , I found it deteriorated quicker if I use the cheaper Motul PA90 mineral oil versus the Castrol Oil fully synt.

It gets very expensive (best part of 60 euro to get 2 liters of the castrol oil before paying to get it changed); the car came with the diff but if I was buying one I would get the TRD.

It is a racing diff, stupid for road use in the sense of the frequency of Oil changes required!

Just rechecked the advert, you correct mate, it needs the oil changed every 3000kms..

Thats not ideal at all..:(

I would like to say they are an excellent product but I dont have any reference point or other experience with Supra LSD's; I know Paul Whiffin ran them in time attack. I am sure he knows how they compare to others and if they are worth putting up with the frequent oil changes. I am sure it all comes down to if you track your car and will make use of it, I presume on public roads it is pointless but I must say compared to other peoples LSD's I have seen, they are silent, no chatting, progressive , allow predictable control.

Alot of people say Supra's are twitch and unpredictable but I find mine predictable and stable especially in the wet ; if it is down to the LSD I just dont know.

Even when you come near the 3k KM mark , you just notice the LSD is a little clunky at slow speeds until the oil warms up(I still would not hear it though) but some fresh oil and she is a smooth as silk again. It drives like an OEM component. Its not undriveable, just not as smooth, a little Jerky if you leave the oil in.

But in the real world Trust me, it is a real pain in the arse ! and an expensive one! When I get the chance I will get a TRD LSD. It would not be too bad if I had access to my own ramp free of charge but doing it on the drive is too messy, deposing of the Oil etc not worth the hassle.

I was driving my car daily so I had to change the Oil every six weeks hence why I think they are a pain in the arse.

In saying all this I could not tell you how often you need to change a TRD LSD though or any other Supra LSD on the Market, but I think it is at at some sort of acceptable mileage , cost vs. advantage of having an LSD

Hopefully Paul will comment on what he thinks of them, he is the man to ask!

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

I would like to say they are an excellent product but I dont have any reference point or other experience with Supra LSD's; I know Paul Whiffin ran them in time attack. I am sure he knows how they compare to others and if they are worth putting up with the frequent oil changes. I am sure it all comes down to if you track your car and will make use of it, I presume on public roads it is pointless but I must say compared to other peoples LSD's I have seen, they are silent, no chatting, progressive , allow predictable control.

Alot of people say Supra's are twitch and unpredictable but I find mine predictable and stable especially in the wet ; if it is down to the LSD I just dont know.

Even when you come near the 3k KM mark , you just notice the LSD is a little clunky at slow speeds until the oil warms up(I still would not hear it though) but some fresh oil and she is a smooth as silk again. It drives like an OEM component. Its not undriveable, just not as smooth, a little Jerky if you leave the oil in.

But in the real world Trust me, it is a real pain in the arse ! and an expensive one! When I get the chance I will get a TRD LSD. It would not be too bad if I had access to my own ramp free of charge but doing it on the drive is too messy, deposing of the Oil etc not worth the hassle.

I was driving my car daily so I had to change the Oil every six weeks hence why I think they are a pain in the arse.

In saying all this I could not tell you how often you need to change a TRD LSD though or any other Supra LSD on the Market, but I think it is at at some sort of acceptable mileage , cost vs. advantage of having an LSD

Hopefully Paul will comment on what he thinks of them, he is the man to ask!

Thanks for the detailed comment mate..

The ATS is widely used in Japan, but the oil change intervals are going to be impractical on a car that is essentially a street car..

I will contact Paul for his comment.

Thanks.