The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo refurbish

Guest George89

Tooquicktostop got this done. He paid around £900 from what I can remember. That was for hybrids though with better internals, so it might be a bit cheaper for just reconditioning.

If you're on a budget, you'd be better off just looking out for a decent set of 2nd hand ones. Pretty sure they go for about 3-400. :thumbs:

i had stage 3 hybrids £1,200 lasted 1 year 5k and where rubish,

good stock replacment everytime over hybids everytime IMO.

toyotas machinery is far more superier for making and balancing turbos, about 1k hybrid vs 300 decent stock replacement,on paper a hybrid sounds good but if your upping boost then you are on borrowed time, hybrids on stock boost 1.2 might last a long time though

CR are very good and will do custom jobs like enlarging wastegate,porting etc..and will build to whatever spec you want. At least on paper anyway ;) the main fault with the stock system isnt the turbos but the restrictiveness of the pipework and mainifold etc. Too much and it chokes..the tubbies heat up and fail due to twisted shafts..broken blades..oil starvation. other than stu hagen in the states whose running a pair of gt28 hybrids at 32psi!!! And has been for two years now with no issues i dont know anyone who swares by hybrids :( in this country but stu opened up the pipework too..got a custom manifold..1000cc injectors..relocated the air intake to by the intercooler and runs race full etc.(full bpu ;) and vipec ecu). Hes made over 600bhp and over 500ftlbs of torque...with 11sec quarters on road tyres...on 3 different dynos...although it is america ;) lol .its still impressive!

Is there a difference between stock refurbed with steel internals compared to hybrids? I figured a turbo company like CR would know their stuff.

What is a stage 3 hybrid, compared to stock?

The stage 3 was larger compessor and turbine with a 360 thrust bearing, so they machine out the turbos intake and exhuast side for better flow, by the looks of it i would say that the overal diamiter of the compressor was 10mm larger then stock i will measure tonight but they are noticably more laggy as well,i did like the set up of the twin turbo but with the stage 3 i had to get nearly everything for a single turbo set up ,so when they let go posible shaft snapped as the no 2 compressor was mashed into the housing

hybrid.jpg have a look at that

they let go posible shaft snapped as the no 2 compressor was mashed into the housing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]151652[/ATTACH] have a look at that

That looks nasty :( and expensive.

Thats why I was wondering whether the lack of reliability was due to the larger compressor etc which would overload the stock pipework and cause a rise in egts etc, also is the oilflow enough for bigger twin turbos?

If I had mine rebuilt it would just be to stock spec with steel internals. surely bearing/turbo design has moved on since Toyota designed these almost 20 years ago.

That looks nasty :( and expensive.

Thats why I was wondering whether the lack of reliability was due to the larger compressor etc which would overload the stock pipework and cause a rise in egts etc, also is the oilflow enough for bigger twin turbos?If I had mine rebuilt it would just be to stock spec with steel internals. surely bearing/turbo design has moved on since Toyota designed these almost 20 years ago.

i think all of the above has a factor! with egt's thats why i went for the satge 3 to get some heat away with the larger exhaust side which the stage 2 dont,oil flow should be okay as the stock format flow shed loads, too much for a bb turbo .

if i had to rebuild then i would not bother with the steel internals i would go cerramic which cr do! but with no warrenty which is intresting.