The mkiv Supra Owners Club

big brake help needed

Rob_Mitchell

Try your rims on a car with the exact same kit on it. If it looks like it might be tight it's the only safe way unless you digitise everything.

I very much doubt anyone will have the same kit Chris. I have been told to take my wheel off and try the template but i cant see what you have to do, is it to just make sure the caliper will fit?

Print off the template, transfer it to a piece of stiff cardboard, take off a wheel and line up what looks like a bolt hole in the template with a bolthole on the inside of the wheel.

If the template makes contact with a spoke or any other part of the wheel the brakes will not fit. If it's close then I'd err on the side of caution.

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

Looks like you need print the template full size and transfer it to card - might be easier to use if you first cut from folded paper to create a template for the whole wheel rather than just one half. I assume that "380-215" means that dimension should be 215mm if you are using a 380mm disc, so you can check the size of the card template.

Then the left vertical line at the bottom (that runs between the c and a of caliper) fits against the part of the wheel that goes against the hub, the bottom horizontal line should be lined up with the centre of the wheel, and the template will show if there is enough space in the back of the wheel.

Wow 380's under 18"'s... would look crazy :)

My front and rear 356's with calipers only "just" fit on my 18" Rota force wheels.

There is about half a fingers width between the caliper and the inside of the wheel.

Template is ready cut and ill try it tonight, im sure the 356mm will fit no problem but its just the 380mm im not sure about

Looks like you need print the template full size and transfer it to card - might be easier to use if you first cut from folded paper to create a template for the whole wheel rather than just one half. I assume that "380-215" means that dimension should be 215mm if you are using a 380mm disc, so you can check the size of the card template.

Then the left vertical line at the bottom (that runs between the c and a of caliper) fits against the part of the wheel that goes against the hub, the bottom horizontal line should be lined up with the centre of the wheel, and the template will show if there is enough space in the back of the wheel.

you have just completely scrambled my brain :D