The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bonnet flipped up today, gutted. Bonnet catch info needed

Stan

Well had the biggest brown pants moment today when my bonnet decided to pop up at 60mph. Luckily I could pull over straight away and just about manage to secure it back down, but it's completely bent in half, windscreen is cracked, and aerotop roof has got a dent in it. I've found another bonnet luckily, so just gotta get a new screen on insurance and somehow sort the roof out.

So, after securing it, I noticed what might have been on of the causes... the drivers side bonnet catch wasn't locking shut. Still don't know why the passenger side and the middle clamp failed, but there you go.

Can anyone shed some light on how to make it work again? I've pressed both down with a screwdriver and I can see the passengers is fine and locks, just the drivers side goes all the way down then pops back up again.

What bonnet catches do you have? I remember vaguely dodgyrog mentioning about some fakes ones which were sold as original floating around. Really sorry to hear about this, has happened to me before so I know how much of a brown pant moment. Might happened whilst I was on a slight bend on the A2! Lucky I had the wall to the right of me.

Standard bonnet with standard catches (as far as I know).

Not sure if its something to do with the bonnet pull lever. I had the bonnet up in my garage for a few months while it was off the road and when I went to shut the bonnet today, I checked in the car first and the lever was still out and hadn't returned to it's normal position. Can it be tightened up?

my car as you know was off the road for a while , but on the way to the mot station , got it up to about 60 on the duel carriage way and it popped up , didnt blow over so stopped and shut it , but like you say the lever inside wasnt going back flush , so after the mot i wd40 it played with it a good few times opening and shutting it and it seems to be ok now , but i always check now that the lever is flush

this has happend to me in a saxo once (yeh ok ok i had to start somewhere)

it will worry you for years now mate ,well it did for me if i think bonnet is not shut right ill pull over on motorway or even anywhere to check if its down

i was lucky as well going 40mph on no one around .

Guest suprageek

I can sympathise with you mate, I went to Scotland 2 yrs ago in feb it was snowing when I got there, I stopped at garage when I bought the car, was driving out onto the motorway and whack the bonnet flipped and the windscreen shattered, I only had a 3 hr drive in the snow to get the ferry in an mr2 turbo with a bent bonnet and a smashed windscreen lol so could have been worse for u

Happened to me last year. Found out my actual bonnet catch spring was a bit lame

I ended up using the stock catch plus 2 aero catches for peace of mind. Hope you get it all sorted.

I do have a mint windscreen for sale if you get stuck

Yeah i got aero catches and, they just feel so much safer, i dont think its possible for them to fail apart from if you get the cheap ones that someone posted about on here a few weeks ago but then the handle for it wouldnt shut down properly so they wouldnt fail without you knowing, alot of money i know for what they are but well worth it, glad your ok mate i can imagine this is terrifying :(

Happened to me about 9 months ago, but it was my fault because I had forgottent o lock in the hood fastner in my TS Hood. Shit happens, I now have aerocatches so if they are not locked in the leaver stays flipped up therefore much easier to tell if they are not locked in.. !