The mkiv Supra Owners Club

pulleys/pumps knocking maybe

mellonman

okay i have a metal knocking from my engine somewhere its really hard to tell where its coming from, its tends to do it more when hot and only at idle, so i was thinking it might be the viscous clutch,

does anyone know how or if this can be tested or any other ideas what it could be

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)

im pritty sure its not the engine, sound seems to be coming from the front or right side of the engine, i might take off the aux belt when its clearly doing it to help pin point maybe,

seems to be more of a vibration sort of knock hard to explain,and doesnt get worse with revs it stops when you rev it really ,its getting worse though and want to find out what it is before something fails

Edited by mellonman
grammer as normal (see edit history)

well i put the camera on charge while i went and had a look at the pulleys and tensioner, took off the aux belt and started to spin the tensioner bit noisey but just bearing noise so greased that just for the sake of it, then moved on to each pulley,coming to the crank pulley found that it was not tight and could rock as i moved it i could hear the same dull metal on metal sound,so nipped it back up and its all done i love it when its a cheap repair like that makes a change :D

but as the camera was charged i thought i would do a vid but the menory card on that was playing up so no vid :(

im pritty sure its not the engine, sound seems to be coming from the front or right side of the engine, i might take off the aux belt when its clearly doing it to help pin point maybe,

seems to be more of a vibration sort of knock hard to explain,and doesnt get worse with revs it stops when you rev it really ,its getting worse though and want to find out what it is before something fails

Just a thought as I have something similar which Darren at Whifbitz narrowed down to the alternator bearing - try running without the alternator belt to see if noise stops.

Just a thought as I have something similar which Darren at Whifbitz narrowed down to the alternator bearing - try running without the alternator belt to see if noise

stops.

Dad you try getting that alternator belt off its a bugger! - I had to do it at college to a fiat punto haha