The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Automotive nuts and bolts

LOGIE

Im currently removing various parts on my supra and all to often im coming across rusty nuts and bolts which need replaced if the dont snap whilst trying to remove. Could anyone tell me where i can buy a large selection of Automotive nuts and bolts in various sizes? stainless steel would be nice. This is not for bling purposes just want some quality bolts i can put some copper grease onto and forget about for a few years and will be removeable again.

Muchos grascias

Be careful with eBay stuff.

I bought a load of stainless bolts to use with my roll cage installation. Ended up having to snap two of them and grind off two. There was a slight imperfection in the threads and the nuts locked before they were fully tight and would not budge. Made a one day job into a 2 day job.

My suggestion is to find a local trade supplier and get a mixed batch from them.

Good luck.

Be very very careful with stainless bolts, never use them for anything "important" like suspension or engine internals etcetera. You need to use the correct grade bolt for the application. Old bolts can be chemically cleaned and replated by most metal finishers. If the fastener has a shoulder or sometimes called a shank, a none threaded portion, it's PROBABLY important to replace it with a similar item. The Japs like to use 12 mm headed bolts, and bolts with metric fine threads. this seriously limits your options if you wish to keep the head size and the thread size. In other words get advice before changing bolts that hold other than trim and none vital bits and bobs.

Probably should of included a common sense clause in my previous thread, but presumed that most people who would wish to replace their nuts & bolts would have a basic knowledge of what to use where,

Most external non stressed engine bolts can be replaced with stainless, same goes for bodywork bolts self tappers etc, a bit of know how and common sense plays a big part though.

Oh! and if the original bolt marking is stil visible, then this will give you the spec for replacement (most of the time)