The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid Twins VS Stock Twins

Dim Sum

Just wanted members view on this area.

Is it worth getting Hybrid's for the sequential turbos, i've done some late night reading but haven't really made up my mind about it.

I'm in the position to either stick with the stock twins or get a Hybrid. I would love to go single but Paul at Garage Whifbitz told me a decent setup will cost £10,000 so that option for me was out the window.

So Is it worth getting Hybrid's over the stock twins?

In a word, no. If you read up you'll see hybrids rarely give the results claimed or last that long.

i think i did read from the supra.com forum that its laggy. Did try a search on this forum but it brought up deans supra and had a read there and noticed he recently got a set of hybrids recently. So just thought to myself maybe its worth getting but just wanted to see what people in the forum thought of them.

no where near worth it!!

bin there seen it done it lasted a year and 3k lighter for it, to run hybrids properly you need injectors and ecu. but did make the jump to single easier but if i knew then what i knew now i would of just put a second hand jspec set on,

Really not worth it. The fastest stock or hybrid twins car - as per the drag times thread - has stock jap spec ceramic twins and the time was ran running 1.1 bar boost.

Have a search for some previous posts I've made on hybrids for further insight :)

I have also done lots of research on this because of our similar situation, I have picked up a stock set of jspecs which the blades are in top condition, going to send them to CR Turbos for a refurb on the oil seals and bearings but keep the stock blades, should be the best option in my opinion.

Really not worth it. The fastest stock or hybrid twins car - as per the drag times thread - has stock jap spec ceramic twins and the time was ran running 1.1 bar boost.

Have a search for some previous posts I've made on hybrids for further insight :)

Maybe a stupid question but they do jap spec ceramics? I thought it was only the uk spec... Happy to be wrong on this

Cheers! I thought it was the other way round for some reason.. Any idea which ones are cheaper and/or better?

The J-spec ceramic turbos are lighter and slightly bigger compared to the UK turbos, peak power is similar for both, response is better with the J-spec turbos. The only drawback with the J-spec turbos is that the ceramic turbine wheels can let go if pushed too hard, the steel UK turbine wheels are more hard wearing but they seem to suffer more with seal/bearing wear.

More info HERE

The J-spec ceramic turbos are lighter and bigger in comparison to the UK turbos, peak power is similar for both, response is better with the J-spec turbos. The only drawback with the J-spec turbos is that the ceramic turbine wheels can let go if pushed too hard, the steel UK turbine wheels are more hard wearing but they seem to suffer more with seal/bearing wear.

More info HERE

Would you agree that using stock jspecs with perfect turbines, then having the oil seals and bearings renewed is a good way to go?

Would you agree that using stock jspecs with perfect turbines, then having the oil seals and bearings renewed is a good way to go?

Do the seals and bearing need replacing? If they don't I'd leave well alone, I say this because one of the main problems with rebuilt hybrid turbos is they can suffer with premature bearing/seal wear. If you do get the bearings and seals replaced use a reputable company and make sure you get a good warranty with them.

The best option would be to fit brand new stock j-spec turbos but they are very expensive, used turbos are a lot cheaper but there's obviously no guarantee just how long they will last.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Do the seals and bearing need replacing? If they don't I'd leave well alone, I say this because one of the main problems with rebuilt hybrid turbos is that they can suffer with premature bearing/seal wear. If you do get the bearings and seals replaced use a reputable company and make sure you get a good warranty with them.

Well I have a spare set which are going onto my car, so I don't know the condition of the seals, but a little shaft play would suggest they could use new bearings. I was intending to send them to CR Turbos for a health check to be sure. I just don't want to go through all the hassle of fitting them to the car then have more problems.

Just to clear something up, I decided not to hybrid my turbos in the end, I just rebuilt them with steel internals, they will be replaced with a small single later this year. I was put off by the stories of poor reliability on hybrids. The jspec refurb with steel internals will run 1.5 bar and should give me good BPU power, I will find out on Thursday !

Just to clear something up, I decided not to hybrid my turbos in the end, I just rebuilt them with steel internals, they will be replaced with a small single later this year. I was put off by the stories of poor reliability on hybrids. The jspec refurb with steel internals will run 1.5 bar and should give me good BPU power, I will find out on Thursday !

1.5 on just a rebuilt turbo might be genarating more heat then power i had mine hybrid at cr turbos stage 3 hybrid and they had a boost spike to 1.6 for a split second a couple of times and on the time they let go completely they made 1.5 i must of done about 5-10k on them. why not just run 1.3 and be safe have a look here as per results of my boost spike http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?256601-does-det-make-its-way-back-to-the-turbo

well ive gone hybrid 16mths ago rough idea cost

refurb jspecs turbos stage 1 £900 i fitted

aem fic £600 inc fitting/mapping thanks ryang for mapping:)

550 injectors £350 inc fitting

results good and im happy single is abit much for me , drag times are good and can get better top speed 112.5mph last pod meet

Edited by TT Paul (see edit history)