The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front braided brake lines!

FOSTA

Ok So I've just fitted a new set of d2 brakes witch I'm very pleased with :D

But I'm having problems with the braided lines touching the bottom arm when on full inward lock!

I've tried alsorts to try and avoid them touching but I just cant seemed to get them So that they won't touch!?

I'm using the factory mounting points so I'm abit lost here.

Can anybody help with this?

I know it's abit rusty behind here so please excuse that lol

Here is full outward lock witch looks ok:

Here is inward lock and you can see its pushed up against the bottom of the strut, I have managed to move it slightly a it only rests on the bottom arm now instead of been pushed up against the strut:

Thanks in advance for any help or advice :D

Edited by FOSTA (see edit history)

Do you mean the bolt that goes into the back of the caliper? If so I've done that and that why it's only resting on the bottom arm now on full inward lock.

But I need to to clear it completely :/

Thanks

With the caliper being raised higher with the new bracket it will mean the old hose will be too short mate.

The new line is perfect length for when it's has full outwards lock but catches on inwards lock :/

Thanks

Hmmmmmm they looked exactly the same in the packet and they where also in the same packet, not packaged for left and right but I'll look again tomorrow to see what the code numbers are on them incase there is a left and right

Thanks for that ;)

Ok I've spent another hour out there just then and by turning the fitting that goes into the back of the caliper pointing more upwards I managed to clear everything. But it looks like the line could be a bit tight on full outwards lock.

Will this be ok or will this cause problems over time? I never checked the oem lines on full lock so I'm unsure how they would have looked on full lock :/

Looks like its abit tight to me,will this be ok and is it a normal amount of tension?

With the line like that it clears the bottom arm now:vvvvv

Now for some strange reason doing the same on the drivers side line dosnt work :/

I havnt got a clue why but it still just rests on the bottom arm so I'll have too try and work that one out tomorrow.

Thanks guys ;)

That doesn't look right with full lock. The bend radius at the bracket bit is way to sharp.

Edit - actually the bend looks pretty bad at the other caliper end as well. You might need different lines unless ther's like a happy medium between where you had them before and now.

Edited by Iky (see edit history)

Ok I've spent the last few days messing around with these lines,

I've finally managed to get about 1mm of clearance on full inward lock and without it being too tight on full outward lock.

With only 1mm of clearance I'm still unsure if it will start to rest against it again after a few miles or so, but if it dose start to catch I will just replace the lines. Hopfully another aftermarket brand brake line kit will fit.

The only reason I can think of why they are giving me problems is the oem lines are really soft and flexible, but the new braided lines are quite stiff! They are a rubber hose coved in stainless braided wire then a clear plastic over the top of that. witch is why I'm thinking it makes them quite stiff.

I'm unsure if another branded brake line will be more flexible but I'll see how these go then worst case is buying a new set of lines ( hoping they will fit).

Thanks for all your help on this guys ;)