The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The brake wobble persists

davis6110

Ok so when i got my new supra it werent braking too well, so i got all new brake pads, the discs are fine i checked them when i had them off, the bearings are fine i have no wheel wobble, now to the point, i still have brake wobble, its ok for a little while, then if i brake hard it will wobble and then will carry on for a little while after that then stop, its just unredictable, now when i was changing the pads i noticed that one of the bits on the calliper where the 14mm bolt goes into, i noticed that on all wheels that that part could slide in and out freely, but on one of my wheels it couldnt it was seized at the top making it difficult for me to put the pads back over the disc. Is this my problem ? and if so has anyone else ever had this and what may be the fix ?

Cheers :D

i noticed that one of the bits on the calliper where the 14mm bolt goes into, i noticed that on all wheels that that part could slide in and out freely, but on one of my wheels it couldnt it was seized at the top making it difficult for me to put the pads back over the disc. Is this my problem ?

Cheers :D

I would think that asking a question like that means that you may be better off letting someone experienced tinker with your brakes. Don't take that as an insult.

i noticed that one of the bits on the calliper where the 14mm bolt goes into, i noticed that on all wheels that that part could slide in and out freely, but on one of my wheels it couldnt it was seized at the top making it difficult for me to put the pads back over the disc. Is this my problem?Cheers :D

Possibly. I'm not an expert on brakes, but I think I know the bit you're on about. IIRC they shoupld move freely, so if one has seized, it may be that under hard braking, its just getting stuck, and not doing its job.

I would think that asking a question like that means that you may be better off letting someone experienced tinker with your brakes. Don't take that as an insult.

Yeah i know that this is probably the cause as i have seen it in another thread i just didnt know if anyone knew how to fix this, i am quite expierienced with brakes as i have been banger racing for 3 years so am often taking brakes apart and hubs etc i just have never come across this and as its my first supra thought i better ask before i attempt myself

IIRC i fixed the same problem on my old n/a by removing it, re-lubing it, and putting it back in, but cant remember exactly how, it was a couple of years ago now

Ok then thanks mate ill give it a go at the weeked when the wheels are off and if that dont work then i'll get it looked at properly :D

Ok, well a lot of cars have these sliders so I'm sure if you are experienced with brakes then you will have seen them before, so will know that they will need cleaning and possibly new dust seals with a very light greasing. You have to make sure that all of the brakes have free pistons with good dust seals etc and that all of the sliders are free. After that you can see if you still have the problem. I know you have checked the discs but I'd be pretty confident that at least one of them is warped. especially if some of your brake components have been seized.

On a side note when your brakes are in good order the sliders don't really move on braking, it is the rubber seal in between the caliper and the bore that flexes, the sliders move when the pads wear or I assume if you have a warped disc.

Ok, well a lot of cars have these sliders so I'm sure if you are experienced with brakes then you will have seen them before, so will know that they will need cleaning and possibly new dust seals with a very light greasing. You have to make sure that all of the brakes have free pistons with good dust seals etc and that all of the sliders are free. After that you can see if you still have the problem. I know you have checked the discs but I'd be pretty confident that at least one of them is warped. especially if some of your brake components have been seized.

On a side note when your brakes are in good order the sliders don't really move on braking, it is the rubber seal in between the caliper and the bore that flexes, the sliders move when the pads wear or I assume if you have a warped disc.

Ah ok then mate, thanks for the help its very much appreciated, i did think the same that if the pads are brand new anyway the slider isnt going to be moving alot anyway, i will have to have the disc checked out again if this dont solve the problem :(

I have chased problems with my brakes for the last year or so, I've freed them up so many times and replaced a few parts etc. I've just bitten the bullet and got new pistons and seals from CW and new discs+fluid and they are now working like new. :)

Im not sure about the uk spec cause the caliper is all in one kind of thing if you get me arent they ? mine are j pec ones so havnt seen any uk spec yet, but i think if the problem persists robski i will do what you did, maybe even buy all new disks and a full brake set

Its a learning curve everyday for me on here, having only had my supra for 3 weeks im looking to learn more and more about them as i go, you guys have helped me alot, i think im just going to free the slider and if it still does it then i'll just get new discs all round to be safe, same as my pads only the rears were worn but whilst i had the money i got all 4 sets :D

Toyota sell refurb kits for the brake calipers, first thing you need to do is identify which brakes you have fitted; the larger 4pot/2pot brakes or the smaller 2pot/1pot brakes, post up pics if you're not sure.

Both top and bottom slider pins need to be totally free. With the caliper mounted to the pins, but no pads fitted, you need to be able to slide the caliper from side to side across the disc with one finger. If a slider is seized it may well cause judder, squeal, pull and uneven pad wear. it will also cause brake drag, causing overheating of the disc and pads, and maybe fluid boil and brake failure. needs fixing *NOW*, or at least before it's put back into regular usage.

I changed my own pads last week so i know they the smaller 2/1 pot brakes, what sort of money are the refurb kits ?

Not sure about prices but here are the parts numbers for the 2pot front and 1pot rear refurb kits.

04479‑14120 CYLINDER KIT, DISC BRAKE, FRONT (2pot Front Calipers)

04479‑24030 CYLINDER KIT, DISC BRAKE, REAR (1pot Rear Calipers)