The mkiv Supra Owners Club

some sad news

Dim Sum

I've dropped my supra of at Paul's yesterday to solve a what i thought would be a boost leak and turns out the 1st turbo blade is damaged. To get things sorted probably be around the £1,700 at max.

With that money is it worth recondition the turbo, maybe get a second hand turbo or go down the single route.

money is a big factor here.

so what would you guys do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

900 to refurb you turbos at CR Turbos in Essex, you have your car in the hands of an expert and that comes at a premium that's why the price is higher than a local garage, I would get them repaired as with second hand it could all happen again very quickly if they are tired turbos, that's if you can find a second hand set of UK's

i didn't know my is on its way out, i thought its a boost leak. The turbo wasn't holding boost and the turbo sounded like a super charger but no smoke or rattle front the turbo itself.

I am getting sounds similar to the one you are describing between 2k-3k rpm :( I'm hoping its a boost leak, however I am getting the feeling I may in your situation.

Not just you mate, my 1st turbo sounds horrible and is certainly on the way out, picked up another set of turbos for £250 which look in good condition, then its around £600+ for fitting, around 7 hours labor I'm told. Not happy :(

Sorry to hear that. Does that rule you out of Japfest Nick?

i didn't know my is on its way out, i thought its a boost leak. The turbo wasn't holding boost and the turbo sounded like a super charger but no smoke or rattle front the turbo itself.

Yep exactly that for me too, loud whine and reluctant to make boost, no smoke here either.

I am getting sounds similar to the one you are describing between 2k-3k rpm :( I'm hoping its a boost leak, however I am getting the feeling I may in your situation.

Get it checked asap mate, it will only get worse, sounds like we all have a similar problem :(

Not just you mate, my 1st turbo sounds horrible and is certainly on the way out, picked up another set of turbos for £250 which look in good condition, then its around £600+ for fitting, around 7 hours labor I'm told. Not happy :(

How many miles are on your car Nick?

Yeah sadly mate, don't want to drive much when the car is like this.

Yeah I need to take it to Chris Wilson to find out if it is a Boost leak or not. If it's a Turbo problem then I'm either going to refurbish my Turbo or Buy a new one, unless I can find a set of mint low mileage Turbo's.

900 to refurb you turbos at CR Turbos in Essex, you have your car in the hands of an expert and that comes at a premium that's why the price is higher than a local garage, I would get them repaired as with second hand it could all happen again very quickly if they are tired turbos, that's if you can find a second hand set of UK's

Best advice!!!

Going single is an option, but if its money talk, you wont get anything proper with little money, and will end up in the same sh*t again...