The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Worth making insurance claim?

fri3ndly

A week or so ago I had the backend of the supra slip out a little in the wet and ended up doing a bit of damage to the front bumper. The thin part at the bottom is bent along with its black counterpart below it and there are pressure scratches etc all over the bumper. The undertray that is attached to the bumper has also had three of the holes pulled apart.

I have had quotes from different bodyshops and had mixed opinions on price to fix, and what would be involved in repairing. One bodyshop said a new bumper would be required £250 plus labour came to about £600 total.

Another company said it is repairable and could be bent back to shape with some heat and would look 'pretty much' as good as new. Doing this and re-painting would come to £350.

Would be great to get some more opinions before I rush into trying to get it fixed in time for Japfest and possibly making a bad decision.

I have also contemplated going through the insurance - thoughts?

photo.JPG

If it was me I'd just pick up a second hand bumper in silver. They normally sell for around £50 in good condition and they're quite common in silver. Easy to swap, job done ;)

Edit : not sure if this is still available :- http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?257639

There is no way I'd go through the insurance for something as minimal as this. It would bump your premium right up & you would lose no claims if not protected.

Edited by Dr_Doom (see edit history)

Whats you excess and is you ncb protected ?

To be honest its not worth claiming for in my opinion, if it wont repair then a second

had stock bumper wont be much and there not exactly very hard to swap yourself.

The metal undertray should be an easy fix, i guess you dont have the active front

spoiler/splitter fitted ?

You could try warming it up carefully in the damaged area and see if it straightens out.

We used to use a space heater and if its a thermosetting plastic (?) it could go

back to its pre crash shape, dont get it too hot though, a hairdryer wont be enough.

Hi everyone

Just looking some final advice/thoughts...

My car is in the body shop and they have straightened out the bumper (pics attached).

They just need the word to go ahead and sand/primer/paint it for £300.

Should I do this, or hold out on the off chance for a spare bumper and then pay for this + delivery and then fitting?

If I am going to get it repaired I need to buy some new top and bottom brackets in place of where the wood is at the moment. Are these easy to get hold of?

Thanks

IMG_0543.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0545.JPGIMG_0546.JPG

Pretty good job that but before forking out £300 i would probably wait for a second hand bumper, i have also heard if you take your time and are confident enough then the bumpers are easy enough to fit yourself, especially an OEM one, thats what i would do, when you think about it that OEM bumper was for sale for £50 so if you have it resprayed etc your paying £300 for something thats going to be worth £50 after, thats just my opinion :D

Is the paint damage restricted to the bottom section, if it is then they could just paint that instead of the whole

bumper.

Without seeing it in the flesh im not sure i'd spend £300 having it all painted

What they have done already does look a lot better. Yes there are paint cracks and pressure marks all over the bottom and a few on the sides and top of the bumper also. To make it look good I think they would need to do the whole bumper really but they said they can do it on the car.

I think I'll just pay them for what they have done so far then and hang on.

What they have done already does look a lot better. Yes there are paint cracks and pressure marks all over the bottom and a few on the sides and top of the bumper also. To make it look good I think they would need to do the whole bumper really but they said they can do it on the car.

I think I'll just pay them for what they have done so far then and hang on.

The best bet i think :D ah i just see your signature mate and looked in your garage, that was a nice blue tt you had there too, glad i havnt got your luck :(

The best bet i think :D ah i just see your signature mate and looked in your garage, that was a nice blue tt you had there too, glad i havnt got your luck :(

Thanks, yep I loved that car. Oh well :(

Personally i would just leave it until you have bought a new number plate ;)

I do have a new plate actually which is half the size of import waiting to go on :)

• 2 weeks later...